X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flynn2000
    replied
    Some of the other people you wanted to know about Michael:

Don Davis: Best Known for his scoring of the Matrix trillogy.

Basil Poledouris: Conan the Barbarian, RoboCop, The Hunt for Red October, etc.

David Arnold: Independence Day, the last three James Bond movies and others.

Barry Gray: Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Super Car and the other Gerry Anderson Supermarianation shows. He also did UFO and the first year of Space 1999. British stuff.

Goblin: Italian group that did many horror and thriller scores. They started out as a progresive rock group and played there own instruments for the scoring. They usualy mix a rock music sound with traditional ochestral sound. They are closely associated with the great Italian director Dario Argento. Together they did movies like Suspiria, Tenebre, Profundo Rosso (Deep Red) etc. In the States they did the music for George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead. You may not of heard of these movies but most are quite good. Dawn of the Dead, Suspiria, and Deep Red are full out masterpiece.

Anyway I hope that helps.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    Hi Michael.

I agree with you about Chen's Crusade theme. Good stuff.

The answers to your questions:

John Carpenter is the movie director (Halloween, The Thing, Escape From New York, Big Trouble In Little China, etc.) but, he also writes and preforms music for most of his films.

Wendy/Walter Carlos wrote the score to my favorit film "Tron", you know the with Bruce Boxleitner. The score is a combination of synth and a full orchestra. It's a beautiful and totaly underratedscore I think. The other movies Carlos did was "A Clockwork Orange" and parts of "The Shinning". And I believe that she has also done original works.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<Don Davis>>

I enjoyed him as General Hammond, too!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Malloy
    replied
    I have a moment to add to the conversation here, so here goes again.

Flynn2000 wrote some interesting comments. About Chen, I think you are thinking clearly but I still do not 100% agree with your conclusion. Personally, I think Chen's best work was for "A Call to Arms" and the "Crusade" theme.

I enjoy Chen's radical departure from the full colorful scores of Franke.

[Oddly, Franke will forever be in my mind connected with Tangerine Dream - a pop group - so it is difficult for me to take his music terribly seriously even though I very much enjoy much of it. (I'll explain that comment later!)]

Flynn2000 listed some composers he likes - an eclectic list!:

John Barry
    Don Davis
    Keith Emerson
    John Williams
    Basil Poledouris
    John Carpenter
    The Prog Rock group: Goblin
    Ennio Morricone
    Christopher Franke
    David Arnold
    Barry Gray
    early, James Horner
    Wendy Carlos

I must admit I have absolutely no idea who some of those people are. - -

Don Davis
    Basil Poledouris
    John Carpenter
    David Arnold
    Barry Gray

Is John Carpenter of "The Carpenters"?

Walter/Wendy Carlos isn't a composer. He/She is a person who transcribes the work of others into electronic sound. Before his sex change operation, Walter was one of the early masters of the Moog Synthesizer. Funny, you won't find any documentation about his change into a her. But if you lived through the 1970's , you witnissed it!

Based on the history of Babylon 5, my hope is that Christopher Franke is selected for the movie score - if the movie is about Babylon 5. It the movie is about Crusade, I would hope Evan Chen is given another chance to prove himself.

Now, about that earlier comment about Franke. I don't own all of the CD's that were released. The first two were dissapointing to me so I stopped buying them. I thought the first one was especially bad. I wanted to hear the theme music from the first season and instead I got long meangering essays of themes from the season sewn together rather randomly. I wasn't impressed with his organizational skill. BUT, for scoring a teleplay he is fantastic as we all know! He's just not a symphonic composer. He tried to be one, and in my opinion he made a fool of himself.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Flynn2000
    Hi KoshN. Try John Carpenters Escape From New York score.
    Will do, when I get time. Currently I'm verifying that all of my B5 S5 and B5 Movie Collection discs play perfectly. So far, only Thirdspace has a glitch (mark that won't wash off, and causes hanging/skipping).

And I worship Michael Kamen's Die Hard music, also thought Open Range was nice too.
    Don't remember the music from the Die Hard movies, and never saw Open Range. The Dead Zone music stuck with me though. When he was composing it, he gave the neighbors nightmares.

It's tragic he died so young.
    True. He certainly seemed to be having fun in his IMDb pic. Sort of looked like Salmoneus from "Hercules - The Legendary Journeys" ....but with wild hair.

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    Hi KoshN. Try John Carpenters Escape From New York score.

And I worship Michael Kamen's Die Hard music, also thought Open Range was nice too. It's tragic he died so young.

TWT

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Okay, bakana - I think I get it, now! Threat retracted.

Amy (the artist formerly known as Aisling)

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Thank you, Ben-Thayer!

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    Hrm. Apparently, I've been slammed. I don't quite get the point of it, but it's obviously a slam.

Don't think I won't be watching you carefully from now on, bakana!
    No, No. Not a slam.

I was thinking about the post where you said you are re-evaluating some of your priorities or something to that effect...

Now I've gotta go back and look.
    Ah, here it is...

but I'm having identity issues of late and felt like I needed something closer to reality.
    So, who IS that Masked Woman?

Leave a comment:

• Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
    replied
    My, but you are so photogenic! Wish I was. My pictures all come out with me looking like a GOON. A bouncer would look at my driver's license (when they actually thought I was underage) and ask "which hockey team do you play for?"

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied

Some composers I like are:
    John Carpenter
    Ennio Morricone
    Christopher Franke

Halloween (none of John Carpenter's other ones stick with me)
    The Thing (1982) - Ennio Morricone
    B5 -Christopher Franke

How about Michael Kamen ? (The Dead Zone, 1983)

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    AislingGrey, judging by a couple of your recent posts, maybe you should get one of the buttons that reads:

Be Kind. Be patient.
    Evolution isn't finished with me yet.
    Hrm. Apparently, I've been slammed. I don't quite get the point of it, but it's obviously a slam.

Don't think I won't be watching you carefully from now on, bakana!

Leave a comment:

• Flynn2000
    replied
    I wonder if the problem was that Chen was just not suited for film scoring? He might have talents in other areas, just not for putting the right kind of music in at the right time.

Too be honest, I didn't realy see any evidence that Chen understood how to score for film, during the 15 hours of Crusade he did. The one exception I will give him was the ep: Path of Sorrows. I did kind of like that one and I also realy liked his main theme, but thats about it.

Now I don't have any training in film scoring but, the kind of music I listen too is film music. I have been in love with film scores since seeing Star Wars at age 8. So I do think I have a bit of knowledge of what works and what doesn't in that area. That is just my opinion however.

Some composers I like are:
    John Barry
    Don Davis
    Keith Emerson
    John Williams
    Basil Poledouris
    John Carpenter
    Ennio Morricone
    Christopher Franke
    David Arnold
    Barry Gray
    early, James Horner
    Wendy Carlos

TWT

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    AislingGrey, judging by a couple of your recent posts, maybe you should get one of the buttons that reads:

Be Kind. Be patient.
    Evolution isn't finished with me yet.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Hi, Michael, and thank you for being willing to try and stick it out here! I'm sure you'll find that most of the conversation is less controversial, and I think your voice is a worthy addition to the mayhem.

Although, a little controversy is good. It puts hair on your chest. :-)

And, thanks for the kind words about the picture. It was taken this afternoon as a headshot for an audition I'm going on tomorrow - it's been years since I had a headshot and needed a new one! I was a little anxious after I replaced my old avatar with a real photo (ack!), but I'm having identity issues of late and felt like I needed something closer to reality.

Incidentally, some of my heritage is Russian, too (Ukrainian, actually). My maternal great-grandparents came from Odessa, although seeing pictures makes me think that great-grandmom might have actually been Siberian, and that she only moved to Odessa after marrying.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

Amy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X