No announcement yet.

The Big Bang Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jan, for posting the links I watched all three. It was fun listening to Jennie share her first time viewer thoughts, and it also made me have to go back and rewatch those two episodes myself.

Defly hope she does more, as well

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Found on the Sheldon Cooper vs Babylon 5 FB page. A series of YouTube vids following a 'n00b' watching the show for the first time.

Why Jennie? Jennie is a total noob who has no background or real interest in scifi. This will be her first exposure to Babylon 5 -- she'd never even heard of...

Jennie, the resident Babylon 5 n00b, shares her after the show thoughts on "Midnight On The Firing Line". She seems to be adapting well to scifi thanks to he...

Jennie, the B5 n00b, shares her after the show thoughts on "Soul Hunter", Episode 2 of Season 1. Among other things in this segment, Jennie hints that she's...

I think these are the only three so far. Hope they continue.

Jan
      She's precious, and I mean that in a completely good, non-sarcastic way. Love those vids and hope to see the rest as she makes her way through the series.
      Mac Breck (KoshN)
      ------------------
      Warner Brothers is Lucy.
      JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
      Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Definitely one of the better ones from "Dr. Sheldon Cooper vs Babylon 5"!

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
          Sorry, can't help but disagree with this. *Sheldon* does not like the series, but the other 3 guys do, and have expressed their love of the show more than once. It's the character, not the writers, who dislike B5.
          I think it's pretty much a "tribal" thing.

Like:
          PC vs. Apple
          Android vs. iOS
          Canon vs. Nikon
          PS3 vs. XBOX360
          Marvel vs. DC

B5 and DS9 were on tv the same time. Sheldon is Star Trek guy so he "must" hate the competition. Sheldon hasn't really watched much B5. He hates it because it competed with ST. And especially because there was a significant number of people who thought B5 was the superior show.

A lot of (especially younger) nerds/geeks do this as we all have probably seen.

Comment

Originally posted by JariM View Post
            I think it's pretty much a "tribal" thing.

Like:
            PC vs. Apple
            Android vs. iOS
            Canon vs. Nikon
            PS3 vs. XBOX360
            Marvel vs. DC

B5 and DS9 were on tv the same time. Sheldon is Star Trek guy so he "must" hate the competition. Sheldon hasn't really watched much B5. He hates it because it competed with ST. And especially because there was a significant number of people who thought B5 was the superior show.

A lot of (especially younger) nerds/geeks do this as we all have probably seen.

Babylon 5
            PC
            Android
            Nikon

And you missed Ford vs. Chevy.

Ford.
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

I don’t believe I’m ressurecting an old forum post. But like a couple of people in earlier comments I always went with it’s the character and not the writers that have issues with B5……….. seems I was wrong. Double apologies if this has already been highlighted (first is for the post necromancy).

2009 interview over on Newarama with Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady

Prady says that the reason Leonard, Sheldon, Wolowitz, and Koothrappali may resonate so well is because they all reflect many of the loves that live within the actual “Big Bang” writers’ room.

“In terms of their non-work passions, they come from the passions in the room,” Prady admits. “For example, the deep and abiding love this writing staff has for Ron Moore’s ‘Battlestar Galactica.’ It is deep and rich and profound, and that’s why the characters love it. And there is their love of ‘Star Trek,’ which by the way is not uniform in the room. There are people like me who know every episode of every single series and then there are people where ‘Trek’ is not their thing. The only thing we are united on is that none of us ever understood ‘Babylon 5.’ We’re all kind of mystified by ‘Babylon 5,’ he laughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                I don’t believe I’m ressurecting an old forum post. But like a couple of people in earlier comments I always went with it’s the character and not the writers that have issues with B5……….. seems I was wrong. Double apologies if this has already been highlighted (first is for the post necromancy).

2009 interview over on Newarama with Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady

http://www.newsarama.com/3873-big-ba...-lampoons.html
                Man, I just don't "get" those people (the ones in TBBT writer's room). Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica turned into a trashy soap where I couldn't care less if any of the characters lived or died. As for Trek, I loved TOS back in the day (1967~ST4-The Voyage Home), but my love for TOS has severely waned since then. I liked TNG 1987-1994 but never liked DS9 or VOY, even though I gave them about 4 years/seasons each. I thought the first two seasons of ENT were slow and often pretty bad, but liked Seasons 3 & 4 except for the awful last 7 minutes of the S3 finale and the entire Season 4/Series finale.

I don't know how ANYBODY could be mystified by B5. I liked and understood B5 from the first episode I ever saw, which was either Shadow Dancing or Walkabout, towards the end of Season 3. From that point forward, I couldn't give a damn about DS9 or VOY. I STILL have not finished watching DS9 and VOY, and don't care to do so. There are so many other things vying for my time (e.g. a complete rewatch of B5 & Crusade where I'm currently on Endgame, four more Dresden Files novels to be read and many other books on my Kindle, re-reading Dell 7 & 9 and the three Babylon 5 trilogies (again, 2nd re-read), the novelizations and six B5 short stories, catching up on Castle, Supernatural, Arrow, Justified, CSI, Criminal Minds, TBBT, Warehouse 13, The Walking Dead, True Blood, starting The Bridge, etc..).

This is probably my 4th complete re-watch of B5, and the first in about 10 years, and it'll be my 10th or 11th complete re-watch of Crusade, and NONE of that feels like wasted time.

To me, even finishing DS9 or VOY now, feels both distasteful and like wasted time.
                Last edited by KoshN; 06-21-2014, 10:13 AM.
                Mac Breck (KoshN)
                ------------------
                Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

I made it to Ds9 season 5 before I couldn't take it anymore. I actually got fed up on 4, took a break, then tried again. Watched several more eppies then quit.
                  I don't hate the show, it feels like it's got potential, then just severely misses the mark, leaving me disappointed, every time.

I don't feel like that with the original series, though I do have a hard time getting into it just because of its age. It bores me a little, though I would much rather watch it than any other trek. That series was at least groundbreaking and different.

I almost made it all the way through Enterprise because I loved T'Pol, but got stuck beginning of last series.

Have only seen a few scattered eppies of the rest of them. I know I started season one of Voyager, don't remember how far I got. I like the raven novelization quite a bit, with 7 of 9.

PS:
                  PC and IOS

Comment

Loved DS9 when it was first on. Obsessed from beginning to end. Was amazed at how well the production was done. I picked up B5 well after that (started when the DVDs were released) - and it blew all my conceptions of how to make a well-written show out of the water. B5 is levels above DS9 IMO.
                    Last edited by JoeD80; 06-21-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenn_of_Mir View Post
                      I almost made it all the way through Enterprise because I loved T'Pol, but got stuck beginning of last series.
                      Season 4 is T'Pol's best. However, stop at S4E21 "Terra Prime". The Season 4 finale (S4E22) is a horrible insult to well.....everybody.
                      Mac Breck (KoshN)
                      ------------------
                      Warner Brothers is Lucy.

Comment

Working...
                      X