X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    I appreciate the reports, Jan and Aisling. Interesting and well-written (especially the topic-starter). One of these days, I am gona make it to one of those cons.
    I can't think of a con I've regretted going to. The people are generally friendly and helpful and there's always good conversation to be had.

Some tend to be cattle-drives where you line up for this, then for that etc. but if any time the celebs do a presentation or Q&A I always go away smiling.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    If we could nip the abortion debate in the bud right now, that would be peachy. As several said, it is OT.

I appreciate the reports, Jan and Aisling. Interesting and well-written (especially the topic-starter). One of these days, I am gona make it to one of those cons.
    I'll buy you a beer when you do, grumbler.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Gkar4ever, Toronto has at least a couple of good cons. Take a look here for more info:

http://www.sflovers.org/Reference/fa...ns-bydate.html

Aisling

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Okay, I've messaged Capt. Montoya privately about his question. Didn't mean to agitate things here - sorry!

Aisling

Leave a comment:

• Gkar4ever
    replied
    Man, wishing I didn't live in good ol' Canada.....too friggin far to fly down there for a con.....someone's gotta organize a con up here. We *do* have cities.......right next to our Parliamentary igloo!

Seriously, though, do any cons occur closer to the New York-Ontario-Quebec border? I'd love to meet some of these guys!

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    If we could nip the abortion debate in the bud right now, that would be peachy. As several said, it is OT.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Edit
    This part has been nipped in the bud.
    Thanks to a PM what was here has become unnecessary.
    ----------

Thanks so much for the info on the con.
    Last edited by Capt.Montoya; 09-08-2004, 10:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    << But he was being fairly obnoxious (constantly calling them "pro-abortion" no matter how many times they corrected him), and it seemed like the only reason they were willing to take it was because...because he's cute Adam Baldwin, Jayne on their favorite show.

It was a bit disgusting, and I kind of wish I _hadn't_ run into him, actually.>>

Cool! Sounds like I'd like him!

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    How was Adam in person? He is a really good actor and he's been in a shitload of movies and shows. His Jayne on Firfefly was great.
    Aherm. Actually, I had to leave after awhile because I was concerned I was going to get into a brawl with him. I'd arrived while he was already well into a conversation with some other fans, and so after I chatted with him a bit he got back into his conversation. Which was basically him arguing rather obnoxiously his pro-life agenda. Now, don't get me wrong: I think it's fine to be pro-life (as long as you don't try to keep others from being pro-choice), and to discuss the matter with pro-choice folk like me. But he was being fairly obnoxious (constantly calling them "pro-abortion" no matter how many times they corrected him), and it seemed like the only reason they were willing to take it was because...because he's cute Adam Baldwin, Jayne on their favorite show.

It was a bit disgusting, and I kind of wish I _hadn't_ run into him, actually.

Also, of note is the fact that he left the con early to go work on some film shooting in South Africa.

Aisling

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<Adam Baldwin (and got to tell him how much I enjoyed his performance in "Next of Kin," the film he did with Andreas).>>

How was Adam in person? He is a really good actor and he's been in a shitload of movies and shows. His Jayne on Firfefly was great.

Leave a comment:

• Tim_Fleming
    replied
    Originally posted by AislingGrey
    All of the actors who were questioned - including Peter Woodward - did their best Sargeant Schultz impressions: "I know nothing!" Even alcohol didn't loosen anyone's tongue (hrm, but now that I think about it, maybe _that's_ why Peter Woodward stuck to orange juice...).

Harlan Ellison and Peter David said the same.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I find it interesting that they wouldn't talk about it, especially Peter Woodward. If Peter Woodward were not involved would he need to remain silent?... very interesting. Let the rumor and speculation begin.

So glad that the B5/Crusade universe is stirring again.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Awesome! One more member of The Body. "Joinnnnn us...."

Aisling

(p.s. - glad you got home okay, Jan!)

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    I'm there next year.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Just got home myself. Thankfully, no damage and the power's (obviously) on. My cat's are really miffed, though....

Nothing really to add to Aisling's account. I went to one event of Jason Carter's on Saturday morning that I discovered at the last moment. He recited poetry and talked about Rick Biggs some. According to Jason, Rick had no life insurance so I'm even *more* glad I got involved with the fundraising.

I also managed to do 'commercials' for the fundraising auction as often as I could - even in a *large* room full of people before the Reunion. I was terrified but people were very sweet. I'm hoping that when they all get home they'll remember the raffle.

On a related note, I took the 'bird' photo to the Con with me and Steven Austin, Peter Woodward, Peter Jurassik and Jason Carter all donated an autograph on it.

I was really happy to meet as many online folks as I did, including our own DougO! Thanks for coming and introducing yourself, Doug! And HEY! All you lurkers....I know you're out there now so you'd better start posting! :-)

As I was relocating to an airport hotel in Atlanta I ran across Jason getting ready to leave himself and was able to thank him for a great time and for coming to the social.

Time to unpack and do laundry,
    Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by AislingGrey
    She is absolutely wraithlike. Almost too thin. She looked like she would snap like a twig in a stiff breeze.

Aisling

That sucks. I've always thought that being so thin is caused by one or more of three different things:

1. Strong metabolism.
    2. Eating disorder.
    3. They just plain don't like to eat (also known as insanity)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X