X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colonyearth
    replied
    Originally posted by Stunaep
    Stargate SG-1's pilot was a very strong one, IMO. Certainly on-par with the series, if not better.

You are talking about Children of the Gods...right?

Leave a comment:

• Stunaep
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    I completely agree. Looking back at virtually any pilot, it seems weak compared to the ultimate series. I can't think of a single instance where I felt the series was inferior to the pilot.
    Stargate SG-1's pilot was a very strong one, IMO. Certainly on-par with the series, if not better.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Again, it's the concept vs the presentation. JMS originally wanted a spinning chair in the pod, which sounds reminiscent of the the weapons system in The Last Starfighter, especially during that film's "death blossom" sequence.

Still, the idea of simply flicking a finger and sending a bolt of energy at your attackers would be eminently cool to use, but I believe it would have still looked somewhat goofy, even with the chair.

I liked Martel. His male model looks were unnerving to me (I'm a standard human in appearance) but his performance was one of the best. I expecially liked his interaction with G'Kar and the interrogation with Minister Kafta, even though Kafta was a ham of the highest order. Similarly, I liked Dulann, although he didn't have much to do after his injury. The other regulars only had small parts that were tough to judge. Kitaro seemed very stiff and nervous. I don't know if that was acting or real.
    Tirk, Malcolm, and Nafeel (?) were all entertaining in their very limited exposure. Sarah, sadly, was the Tamlyn Tomita of this movie. She needed some work - as did the writing, which didn't make it any easier on her.

Upon secondary viewing, I determined I really didn't like the effects. Gadjecki VFX has done some great work with Stargate lately, but LoTR was not some of their best work at all.

Chris Franke's soundtrack was very good; ambient, moody, and not just a rehash of B5 themes.

As a pilot, one could have only hoped that the wrinkles would have gotten ironed out. Unfortunately, it may be another dead end in the B5 universe.
    Last edited by B5_Obsessed; 09-07-2004, 12:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by NotKosh
    I can:

The Zarg plotline of Grey 17 is Missing
    The Fighting Tournament plotline of TKO
    Um, I was referring to the series as a whole, not indiviual episodes in the series. I would readily agree that there are indivual episodes which were worse than the pilots of a number of series.

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    I completely agree. Looking back at virtually any pilot, it seems weak compared to the ultimate series. I can't think of a single instance where I felt the series was inferior to the pilot.
    I can:

The Zarg plotline of Grey 17 is Missing
    The Fighting Tournament plotline of TKO

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    Other than that I think LoTR:TLaDiS wasn't bad for a pilot.

BTW, I have to admit that I kind enjoyed the "haunted ship" plot line.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    If by good idea you mean a weapons control system that couples an unobstructed, real-time spherical view of space with a control system that reads motions for targetting, weapon selection, and power, then I wholly agree that it was a cool idea!

If you mean hanging the actor by wires and using over the top martial arts with yelling, I don't think I can follow you there. It really is too bad they couldn't execute the concept closer to what JMS was envisioning, but I do give full marks for trying to break out of the usual concepts and images. You can't have fabulous successes if you don't risk the occasional flop.
    You got it... the idea was cool, the execution left much to be desired, good description of the why's.

The "haunted ship" part of the story was quite weak IMO. Other than that I think LoTR:TLaDiS wasn't bad for a pilot.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    Am I really the only one that thinks that the weapons system was a cool idea?
    OK, I'll grant you that it didn't come out quite well, but it wasn't that horrible.
    If by good idea you mean a weapons control system that couples an unobstructed, real-time spherical view of space with a control system that reads motions for targetting, weapon selection, and power, then I wholly agree that it was a cool idea!

If you mean hanging the actor by wires and using over the top martial arts with yelling, I don't think I can follow you there. It really is too bad they couldn't execute the concept closer to what JMS was envisioning, but I do give full marks for trying to break out of the usual concepts and images. You can't have fabulous successes if you don't risk the occasional flop.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    I thought the dialogue was also quite clumsy at times. JMS seems to need some time to get into his charactors. Some of the early B5 dialogue was also un-memorable. But, boy, did it take off by the time of Parliament of Dreams!

Leave a comment:

• Atanvarno
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    It seems to me they were trying to do something off the wall to make the Minbari look really alien.
    Every time JMS tried to do that it seems people just can't take it: the alien sector in The Gathering, and now this.

(Haven't seen LotR, so I have no oppinion to its quality.)

Leave a comment:

• Gkar4ever
    replied
    What?? Those are BONES??? I thought they were futuristic baseball caps!! Damn, and all this time I thought they were human.......

Leave a comment:

• Starkiller
    replied
    It seems to me they were trying to do something off the wall to make the Minbari look really alien.
    youd think the giant bones on thier heads would be enough

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by Dipper
    I really hated it too. Is it just me, but isn't it stupid to put a large room dedicated only for weapons systems, when you could do that from a single panel, which would take much less space and on space ships the space is at premium.

-Dip

Leave a comment:

• Dipper
    replied
    I really hated it too. Is it just me, but isn't it stupid to put a large room dedicated only for weapons systems, when you could do that from a single panel, which would take much less space and on space ships the space is at premium.

-Dip

Leave a comment:

• shakiroz
    replied
    I agree that the pilot would probably have been improved in the series.

It's really a shame that LOTR didn't get a series because from what I understand JMS had plans to bring in Crusade after a few years as the timelines would coincide and then we could have the continuation of that show.

Can't wait for the new movie, Hope Talia is in it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X