Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any sightings of the B5 Series?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any sightings of the B5 Series?

    I read that the show hasn’t been seen on any US channel since 2000!
    I also read that the FX channel in the UK (owned by Fox) started airing re-runs back in 2009.

    Does anyone know of any other (Non US) stations which have ran the show in recent years. I’ve a vague recollection of reading that it was showing in some central European countries a while back, but I may have imagined that – may have been Australia. ; )


    [edit]
    Oh-my. Did a bit more searching and B5 is being shown in a few places throughout the world. The latest is . . . . . well, it’s Fiji. ; )

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBC_TV

    Here’s Wednesday nights schedule
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...46409368798094
    Last edited by Triple F; 12-19-2011, 03:04 AM.

  • #2
    I found it hilarious that they called Babylon 5 an Old Classic. Personally I'd prefer the term Modern Classic.
    It's great that it's airing though. I'm just curious if they are going to be airing all of the episodes in order though. If I remember correctly, that's a stipulation of any station airing Babylon 5 due to its novel for television format.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Triple F View Post
      I read that the show hasn’t been seen on any US channel since 2000!
      Yep beyond the initial PTEN airings the only two major re-runs in the US were on TNT during season 5 and on the sci-fi channel from around 2000 - 2003.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://warnerchannel.com/movies/babylon5thelosttales/

        WB has a pay-TV channel for Latin America (simply called "Warner Channel"), it has shown The Lost Tales sometimes late last year (2011).

        Several years ago, maybe in 2008, they showed a few episodes of the series on Saturday mornings, I don't think that lasted much, certainly not the whole series, maybe no further than the second season (maybe not even the whole first season).
        Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
        James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

        Comment


        • #5
          Same story with the home video and the syndication. No one will work together and make this show a success, no matter how many times it's proven itself. This is why Babylon 5 is an open and shut case, and all we really have to look forward to are JMS' other new projects. But hey, these days, at least we got 5 Seasons and a few movies. It wouldn't last 4 episodes on the air with today's market.
          Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
          True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
            Same story with the home video and the syndication. No one will work together and make this show a success, no matter how many times it's proven itself. This is why Babylon 5 is an open and shut case, and all we really have to look forward to are JMS' other new projects. But hey, these days, at least we got 5 Seasons and a few movies. It wouldn't last 4 episodes on the air with today's market.
            Good observation on your point made by a post on gammasquad -
            '5 Reasons Firefly was lucky to get Cancelled'

            #4) If It Had Been A Success, It Would Have Been Taken Away From The Browncoats, Pronto
            Major corporations are not in the television business to make us happy: theyƆre in it for money. And if they get even a whiff of a possibility of money, they step in, and they step in fast.

            I believe they are talking about the studio meddling with and approving scripts.

            This just reminds me how rare the relationship between WB and B5 was, not sure about TNT - I figure they didn't meddle either.
            Also confirms the fate of Crusade.

            http://gammasquad.uproxx.com/2011/12...-get-cancelled

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
              This just reminds me how rare the relationship between WB and B5 was, not sure about TNT - I figure they didn't meddle either.
              TNT didn't meddle with Season 5 of B5. By the time Crusade happened, they meddled *plenty*! For instance:

              http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-709

              Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jan View Post
                TNT didn't meddle with Season 5 of B5. By the time Crusade happened, they meddled *plenty*! For instance:

                http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-709

                Jan
                Mercy - at that rate the studio execs would have made Mozart sound like Spike Jones!
                Answering to so many critics would take the joy out of being creative always, defending your muse.

                I like Dr. Franklins quip in 'A Late Delivery From Avalon'
                "A sword, a ship - what's the difference?"
                It's nice not to be spoon fed by a dumbed down script.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DaveNarn View Post
                  Mercy - at that rate the studio execs would have made Mozart sound like Spike Jones!
                  Answering to so many critics would take the joy out of being creative always, defending your muse.

                  I like Dr. Franklins quip in 'A Late Delivery From Avalon'
                  "A sword, a ship - what's the difference?"
                  It's nice not to be spoon fed by a dumbed down script.
                  It is indeed. Keep in mind that very few details of what went on were known at the time that Crusade aired. My reaction to the first few episodes that aired was that I liked the characters but there was a 'watered down' feeling to the whole thing. After B5, I *knew* how taut JMS could write an episode and there was just something missing. The later aired episodes (first filmed grey uniforms) felt much better to me and when I eventually got the Crusade scripts which included all drafts sent out to the crew, it became much clearer what happened.

                  What we've seen in the Crusade books that have come out so far illustrates better just how bad things were.

                  Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X