Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    [Bill Lumberg] Mmmyeeeeeeeeh... that would be greeeeeeeat. Thanks a bunch.[/Bill Lumberg]

I second the motion...
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    A link to the other thread...
    http://jmsnews.net/forums/showthread...=&threadid=374

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    (Switches to Gary Cole as Bill Lumberg voice)

Mmmyeeeeeeeeh...guys, we kinda made a thread in the off topic forum to discuss Star Trek. If you could just start posting there, that would be greeeeeeeat. Thanks a bunch.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Milkman
    He wasn't resurected. The TOS character went nutts from Q's first attempt at "resurrection"

But i can't remember the characters name now...
    I don't think he meant a literal resurrection, but rather a similar character used way down the road in TNG. I'd seen speculation that Trelane and his parents were "Q" beings.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by jcbatz
    One thing always amused me about Q. My sister used to watch Days of Our Lives in the mid-80s and John de Lancie played this crackpot named Eugene. Apparently, on Days, Eugene vanished in a home made time machine, or something like that. They next time I see him on TV, WHAM!, he's this interdimensional being.

Part of me thinks that there some kind of tie-in to the time machine thing on Days.

*sigh* I need help...
    My mom brought that up years ago, too. Funny.

Leave a comment:

• jcbatz
    replied
    One thing always amused me about Q. My sister used to watch Days of Our Lives in the mid-80s and John de Lancie played this crackpot named Eugene. Apparently, on Days, Eugene vanished in a home made time machine, or something like that. They next time I see him on TV, WHAM!, he's this interdimensional being.

Part of me thinks that there some kind of tie-in to the time machine thing on Days.

*sigh* I need help...

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    Originally posted by KoshN
    Trelane?
    Correct, The Squire of Gothos

Leave a comment:

• Milkman
    replied
    He wasn't resurected. The TOS character went nutts from Q's first attempt at "resurrection"

But i can't remember the characters name now...

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by NotKosh
    And Q is the resurrection of what TOS character?
    Trelane?

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    And Q is the resurrection of what TOS character?

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by Towelmaster

I'm just saying that it is still SF and at the recreational level some of that Voy-stuff was quite fun(I really did like Species 8472).

Well, Scorpion I & II do comprise what I consider to be 33.33% of "the essential Voyager." It was nice to see the Borg getting their asses handed to themselves by a Vorlonesque (at least, ship-wise) race.

Originally posted by Towelmaster

So I am not comparing, I am saying that not all things can be as good as each other, but Voy was most definitely not the worst sf I have seen. (that honour goes to Space:1999... ).
    Never watched much of it. Preferred the prior series "UFO." However, if I was picking a "worst" it wouldn't be "Space: 1999." It'd be "Lexx" or "Black Scorpion."

Leave a comment:

• Joseph DeMartino
    replied
    The Borg are only incidentally machines. They could have just as easily been a parasitic plant form.
    Or a giant mutant cheese. Oh. Wait. They did that. Never mind...

Regards,

Joe

Leave a comment:

• Milkman
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    The actor was fine, maybe even brilliant. It was the absurdity of the role that I cannot stomach. YMMD.
    I enjoyed the role. The "Q" episodes always made me laugh. Also the EU of Q books, well the ones written by Peter David, i find quite enjoyable. But that may just be Peter Davids good writting skills. I haven't read of book of his yet i didn't enjoy.

I do have to say, Delancy(sp?) is a great speaker. Saw him at a convention a while back. What a riot... and really i think he put alot of himself in the Q role... which maybe isn't such a good thing?

Leave a comment:

• Milkman
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    No (and while I cropped your reference to how this isn't applicable on a B5 thread, I disagree with the contention that general SF concepts aren't an applicable topic here - but I remain general, using only specific examples).

I like entertaining shows, but maybe my definition of "entertaining" differs. "Q" was not entertaining because he simply was not believable (see how much better the TNG series treated omnipotence in the ep where the E finds the planet with only a single survivor, who attempts to drive them off in his grief over using his omnipotence in a mement of rage).

The Borg I didn't see as a metaphor for all kinds of "man v machine" conflicts but rather as a methaphor for how the charactors react to the seeming inevitable. The Borg are only incidentally machines. They could have just as easily been a parasitic plant form.
    Well crap. How can we have an argument when i agree with what you say!

I did enjoy "Q" but agree that um.. Kevin Oxbridge(sp?) was a good maybe beter portrail of "omnipotence".

And well.. what you just said about the borg was going to be my counter statement.. So... i will just go sit over here....

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<I think there was definitely more to her character that could have been explored!>>

And I was highly disappointed they discontinued exploring her cleavage after the first season.

Leave a comment:

• Towelmaster
    replied
    Well I saw Voy before B5...

And I don't compare the two as I feel that that would be like comparing pulp-sf to Philip Dick....

I'm just saying that it is still SF and at the recreational level some of that Voy-stuff was quite fun(I really did like Species 8472).

So I am not comparing, I am saying that not all things can be as good as each other, but Voy was most definitely not the worst sf I have seen. (that honour goes to Space:1999... ).

If one wishes to know how much I have gone off StarTrek and on Babylon-5 just ask my girlfriend...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X