Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Koenig: More Babylon 5?

http://trekmovie.com/2011/08/17/koen...tor-to-chekov/

Would be awesome if they are actually on it even though the assured last reboot project perished with it's distribuition concept.
    My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

I'm convinced that what Walter was talking about is the failed project. JMS himself has said a few times that the talks he's in with WB is very early and informal. That's nothing that he'd call 'looking good' but he *did* think that about the 'after April' thing.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      I'm convinced that what Walter was talking about is the failed project. JMS himself has said a few times that the talks he's in with WB is very early and informal. That's nothing that he'd call 'looking good' but he *did* think that about the 'after April' thing.
      Actually, I'm convinced otherwise here. I mean I'm a dead set pessimist, but, first of all, Bester's words leave little room for interpretation...
      Originally posted by Alfred Bester
      He told me that he is in negations to re-acquire the rights to Babylon 5
      ...and, second, take a look at JMS' own words:
      Originally posted by JMS
      At this point, I've told the studio that if this isn't going to move ahead, there's something else they need to consider and there's a very informal negotiation going on now in that regard.
      Originally posted by JMS
      The discussions I'm having with the studio are business oriented regarding B5 and not in terms of a specific new show or a new project.
      Now, let's think here for a moment. What could be JMS discussing with WB (business-wise) that would not be geared towards a specific new product, but would still be worth mentioning to the fans?

Comment

Although there are 2 things that make me sceptical...
        Originally posted by Alfred Bester
        He told me that he is in negations to re-acquire the rights to Babylon 5
        ...I wonder if the pun was intended...
        ...and where the hell would JMS get enough money to buy B5 rights from WB? I mean c'mon, even with his newfound fame and all, in Hollywood terms he's just a scriptwriter, not a well-known producer or director?

But anyway, I find JMS' choice of words to be quite interesting
        Originally posted by JMS
        I've told the studio that if this isn't going to move ahead, there's something else they need to consider
        This would imply that JMS has pointed out something to the studio that hadn't been obvious to them. If we go along with the idea that JMS wants to buy back the rights...

1. The B5 property WB's sitting on devalues with each passing day.
        2. If they continue to waver, in 5 years no one would buy even a DVD-set with remastered CG sequences.
        3. However, should a new successful series be produced, the value of the existing B5 property would raise.
        4. Therefore, if WB has no intention to invest into B5 in the near future, it would actually be more profitable for them to sell the rights back to JMS.

Comment

Which rights are we talking about here, doesn't JMS already own the movie rights to B5?

Besides which, if things like this are put forward, folks always assume that a person needs to negotiate for all of the property in question.

If JMS is indeed in talks for a certain element of rights to B5 other than the movie rights, he does not need to negotiate for all 100% of them, he only needs to reach the position of 51%; He will have all the control he needs and WB will still rake in 49% of any profits made on any new B5.

If.....
          Last edited by DGTWoodward; 08-18-2011, 03:19 AM. Reason: Bda smelling misKates
          http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
          Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
          47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

And here we've got a perfect example (not just here, either) of people getting excited over nothing much. Only a couple of weeks ago JMS said that the talks he's in with WB are informal with nothing likely to come of them for a year or so. And yet they quote Walter saying things 'look good'? It just doesn't work that way. And to quote JMS on the 15th:

bullydawg23 Jim
            @straczynski do you have any B5 stuff in the works?

straczynski JMichael Straczynski
            @bullydawg23 Not at this moment.
            With no disrespect to Walter, I'll take the direct word of JMS over that of an actor reporting on a dinner at some unknown time (as was originally tweeted over the weekend).

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              With no disrespect to Walter, I'll take the direct word of JMS over that of an actor
              No one is asking you to do otherwise, Jan. Bester didn't state that any new B5 was in the works, he just said that JMS was in negotiations with WB to re-acquire the rights, and that he (Bester) thinks that would portend something new in the B5 universe. You don't have to be a D.Sc. to make the latter conclusion - one normally doesn't buy rights to something without the intention of producing on that basis.
              The "animateness" Bester mentioned stemmed not from the fact that JMS had a new product up his sleeve, but from the fact that for once WB was treating him with the measure of respect he's entitled to.

Comment

Originally posted by DGTWoodward View Post
                If JMS is indeed in talks for a certain element of rights to B5 other than the movie rights, he does not need to negotiate for all 100% of them, he only needs to reach the position of 51%; He will have all the control he needs and WB will still rake in 49% of any profits made on any new B5.
                I'm not sure it works this way. If I understand it correctly, WB has full exclusive rights to producing any B5-related TV - basically, just a paper stating "only we can produce it, so **** off". JMS needs to buy this paper and eat it, ideally followed with the hearts of his enemies.

Comment

Originally posted by strashiLOL View Post
                  No one is asking you to do otherwise, Jan. Bester didn't state that any new B5 was in the works, he just said that JMS was in negotiations with WB to re-acquire the rights, and that he (Bester) thinks that would portend something new in the B5 universe. You don't have to be a D.Sc. to make the latter conclusion - one normally doesn't buy rights to something without the intention of producing on that basis.
                  The "animateness" Bester mentioned stemmed not from the fact that JMS had a new product up his sleeve, but from the fact that for once WB was treating him with the measure of respect he's entitled to.
                  Yes, I agree with this. JMS saying there is no B5 in the works at the moment means, he has to see these (possibly lengthy) negotiations through before he will start writing or planning anything for a story. So there is no B5 in the works, but there are negotiations going on which might allow for something to happen after they are done.

Comment

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...lon-5-revival/

Straczynski, however, said thatÆs simply not the case. ôWalter misspoke,ö he said this afternoon in a statement to Spinoff Online. ôI am not in negotiations with WB to develop more Babylon 5.ö
                    Told'ja...

Jan

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I can understand, WB can't do anything new with B5 without JMS's cooperation. They can't put somebody else to rewrite it, or expand it, or even remake it without JMS's permission. JMS effectively owns B5 as a creator, he owns the charachters and the names, etc. From what I understand, what he has given to WB is only the TV production and distribution rights of his creation, in essence whatever it was needed back in the 90's for WB to put the money and make it a tv show. If this is true, then JMS has the latitude to negotiate the rights back with a relatively low price.

Comment

Not correct. Warner Brothers owns Babylon 5, airlock, council chamber and PPG. The only exception is that JMS owns the feature film rights.

While by contract JMS has to be *involved* with anything else B5-related, we don't know that that involvement includes 'veto' rights' to anything WB might decide to do. It might only mean that they have to pay JMS a creator's/consultant's fee.

Jan

Comment

So WB can effectively ignore JMS any time they want and hire someone else to rewrite it? Just like Galactica, when the studio totally ignored Larson and hired Ronald D. Moore for the reboot?

Comment

Theoretically, that's correct. In the case of B5, though, there'd very likely be a major fan backlash so it would be a risk for them. There was far less 'canon' established for the original BSG.

Jan

Comment

Warners can do a B5 re-boot without the slightest involvement. If you think this sort of thing is incomprehensible, just look at the new a few months ago of a Buffy re-boot without Joss Whedon. Should a studio re-boot a popular franchise without the help of the person that created it? Probably not? Will they risk of a very vocal fandom that will do anything they can to stop it? Absolutely? But frankly, I'm not sure it would stop a group of of studio executives hell-bent on a course of self-destruction.

Comment

Working...
                              X