X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaveNarn
    replied
    Originally posted by DGTWoodward View Post
    I should point out that this podcast contains two fools swearing relentlessly.

As a fellow Briton...what a pair of idiots! Totally living up to all the negative stereotypes that SF fans have been trying to live down for centuries.
    Wow, I'm glad you said that because I didn't know if cursing had become that common in the UK.

They do a great review otherwise, I look forward to each show.
    Last edited by DaveNarn; 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Elric
    replied
    And his 'clarifications' only added more confusion and questions, than actually make anything clearer.
    Hmmm - I seem to be reminded of how the Vorlons operated at a level quite above our own, and never really made anything clear to us - even when asked directly....

Or - Maybe JMS is more like Morden and just feeds us all what we want/need to hear, while secretly destroying the Narns on our behalf (I'm kidding of course )

I have been a huge fan of everything B5 since the beginning. However, it is interesting to me that JMS has indicated that B5 was a 5 year story that was done when it was finished being told, and yet we hang on the hope that there will be more. Sometimes I wonder if this is a good thing. JMS is a very talented and creative individual, and while I'm sure that he could create something in B5 that might be great, what if it isn't? The more I reflect on this and the more comments I read from those of you here, the more I think that maybe I'm just fine with things as they are. I am glad to have experienced the series and it's trappings as it was done - for better or worse - and I'm not sure I want any of that to change.

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Irony, thy name is Vakie
    Eh? You think I'm upset about something? I'm not. Not about the B5 thing, not about anything here. What I am, is beyond confused at the wrath being directed at JMS for not treating his fans with silk gloves.

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by vakie View Post
    Wow, things are reaching such a level of ridiculousness in here I never thought possible. First of all people getting upset about JMS even telling about the project because it didn't happen, and for using the word reboot, because people with sticks up their bottoms for reboots might get upset?

Are there really no more pertinent things to get upset about in this world, than a reboot? And if someone gets upset about someone else using the word reboot, why should anyone care exactly? Just because you get upset over something so insignificant, it means people should give a damn? Seriously, this is getting beyond my comprehension.

I guess JMS has a long list of people he needs to apologize to, for being so inconsiderate of other people's feelings in this. In all seriousness, if hearing about cancelled projects and reboots brings so much pain to your existence, it might be wise to just plug off your internet completely, there are much much worse things out there.
    Irony, thy name is Vakie

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Wow, things are reaching such a level of ridiculousness in here I never thought possible. First of all people getting upset about JMS even telling about the project because it didn't happen, and for using the word reboot, because people with sticks up their bottoms for reboots might get upset?

Are there really no more pertinent things to get upset about in this world, than a reboot? And if someone gets upset about someone else using the word reboot, why should anyone care exactly? Just because you get upset over something so insignificant, it means people should give a damn? Seriously, this is getting beyond my comprehension.

I guess JMS has a long list of people he needs to apologize to, for being so inconsiderate of other people's feelings in this. In all seriousness, if hearing about cancelled projects and reboots brings so much pain to your existence, it might be wise to just plug off your internet completely, there are much much worse things out there.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I think that these posts of JMS' fits the situation:

Timothy: I don't "fuel B5 returns speculation." When something is going on, I tell the fans something's going on; when nothing's going on, I tell the fans that nothing's going on. This is just a matter of being honest with the fans, whether the information is good, bad or indifferent. I have nothing to gain by fueling anything. I just tell folks what's going on, period. If you'd rather I simply said nothing about it anymore, I'm utterly amenable.
    ...but then...(thankfully, IMO)

Timothy...on second thought, i think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing: sharing the ups and downs, the starts and fits, the home runs and the stall-outs, because that's what I've been doing from day one. It's often frustrating on all sides, but then at least the fans and I get to share that frustration. I understand if that's too much for you. Feel free to dial out. The rest of us will just continue on.
    A fair number of folks have expressed your and Timothy's sentiments, and that's fine. The only thing is, they're pretty much all expressed in the places where JMS hangs out or places where JMS' work and/or B5 are regularly discussed.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Not meaning to be confrontational, but what else would it be called? I can't think of a term that fits.

And like it or not, we fans don't have a right to see anything that he might have planned or not planned, especially since it's a no-go. In fact, there's really no reason whatsoever to get upset anymore because it's not happening. Perhaps the pitchforks should be put away until (not to mention if) the possibility arises again?

Jan
    Well then he should not have said anything should he, especially a word that is such a stigma in film/TV circles, he should have mentioned not one single thing, nothing, zip, and...instead of using his well practiced 'I don't subscribe to the "we are fans and we have a right to know" routine' lecture he gave me.

I am a fan, and I wish that I hadn't known.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Not meaning to be confrontational, but what else would it be called? I can't think of a term that fits.

And like it or not, we fans don't have a right to see anything that he might have planned or not planned, especially since it's a no-go. In fact, there's really no reason whatsoever to get upset anymore because it's not happening. Perhaps the pitchforks should be put away until (not to mention if) the possibility arises again?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    This is why JMS should really be called to account for using such a provocative word.

He's not so stupid as to be unaware of exactly how divisive the word REBOOT is, but he used it anyway.

Then he wonders why people reacted so very strongly to it?

And his 'clarifications' only added more confusion and questions, than actually make anything clearer.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I didn't say anything about better, though.
    No, but JMS did. I mean, that's the whole reason he wants to reboot the series, because of a feeling that he can do it better this time. That's what my analogy referred to. The only thing I was disagreeing with was your assertion that B5/original --> B5/potential reboot equals child's picture --> professional artist's painting.

But to go with your analogy, what about the various versions of the same scenes done by Monet? I think they were very worthwhile with all of the different lights and shadows.
    A painter doing a series on a particular scene isn't the same as deciding some time later that the original version wasn't very good and thinking there's a need to make it better. A series is usually meant to stand together, as a grouping, variations on a theme. Paintings you'd hang near one another, to enhance each other. One isn't a replacement for another.

Bringing it back to stories, I think stories *should* be re-told, re-interpreted from time to time. Just as Superman's origin has been told numerous times to keep it fresh and relatable for new audiences, I don't have any objection if the same is done with B5. It doesn't detract from the original, doesn't dishonor the ones who made it, it's simply different and, perhaps might turn out better.
    To each his own. I don't care for rehashes. I hated the re-filming of "Psycho," and I roll my eyes vigorously when Hollywood spits out yet another remake (of a tv show, or a previous movie). And, for the record, I don't even think you can class Superman (or Batman, for those who've mentioned it) in the same category as this discussion, because Superman and Batman are, at this point, iconic, folkloric figures who have been around for a VERY long time, and who have already had many interpretations (television, comics, film). This is more like someone deciding it might be a good idea to re-film "M*A*S*H" with some *amazing* state-of-the-art CGI battle scenes and surgery scenes, and some younger actors, but keep Alan Alda in it, but make him be Henry Blake this time around. My reaction to that would be — as it is to this — "Why bother?"
    Last edited by AmyG; 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM. Reason: Removing rogue asterisk!

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    There are those that write a new chapter for the paperback version or a new foreward. I've seen that in the non-fiction section.

And in the fiction section, I've seen uncut versions of Stranger in a Strange Land and The Stand. To me, that's like a director's cut of a movie where some deleted scenes are reinserted. It's not a complete re-write.

Leave a comment:

• pascalahad
    replied
    Good thing we don't talk about novels, then.

Leave a comment:

• David Panzer
    replied
    I haven't seen that many authors go back and re-write their completed novels.

Leave a comment:

• pascalahad
    replied
    I would see it most in the like of : "OK Peter Jackson filmed Lord of the Rings but he botched a number of things in my opinion, I want to do it again, you'll see, you'll be blown away". Tolkien's work still exists, Peter Jackson's movies still exist, but it may be another take at a familiar story. We have two versions of Dune (another in the works reportedly), two Spider-Man origin stories, quite a number of Batman origin stories in tv and movies...

Babylon 5 was conceived as "a novel for television", so why not? Especially if its creator has the will to do it. I would find it an interesting experience. Hitchcock remade quite a number of his previous movies, and not all for the worst, far from it.

Leave a comment:

• Marsden
    replied
    I know they made those movies lately, but could you imagine another author rewriting The Lord of The Rings? And I don't mean just ripping it off, that's happened a few thousand times already, but actually saying I'm rewriting Lord of The Rings because Tolkein had a good story but he wasn't that great of a writer. I think that is a better comparison, but still flawed because JMS would have been doing it himself rather than someone else. I'd just prefer he did a new space show altogether, or even not a space show.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X