No announcement yet.

JMS interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I know, the TNT version of The Gathering has never been released in Germany. I've never seen it. *grumble*
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Both versions appear over here (UK/Scotland). A friend loaned me their copy (the tnt version) and I went out and bought a second-hand copy and it ended up being the original version û that came as a bit of a surprise due to the differences. ; )

Does anyone know if it was ever explained why both versions have identical packaging (itÆs the same over here). Makes finding the original û without the editing, etc û a lot harder for those that are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
        Does anyone know if it was ever explained why both versions have identical packaging (itÆs the same over here). Makes finding the original û without the editing, etc û a lot harder for those that are interested.
        Not really, but at a guess, I'd say laziness on the part of the ones responsible for the packaging. Same situation as happened when somebody decided to only use one version of the opening credits which resulted in Delenn's change in the second season being shown ahead of time and their not using the better recording of the season 5 voiceovers.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

In France we never had ANY release of the pilot (except once in VCR). My zone 2 copy is from the UK. It's the original.

I wrote numerous time Warner Home Video about that (and for other titles from their catalog never made available in my country, DC animated), and received a "thanks for your concern but no" reply...

The Lost Tales never made it either...
          Heroes never die. They're only replaced by younger actors.

Comment

Originally posted by pascalahad View Post
            In France we never had ANY release of the pilot (except once in VCR). My zone 2 copy is from the UK. It's the original.

I wrote numerous time Warner Home Video about that (and for other titles from their catalog never made available in my country, DC animated), and received a "thanks for your concern but no" reply...

Really!! That’s quite surprising how some euro countries are well catered for and others are essentially ignored. France isn’t exactly a small market. ; )

Maybe Warner thought/thinks the German/UK (or whatever) version is enough, and Europe is a single market - potentially dodgy political point. ; )

Comment

As I recall, it was a mastering error with the DVDs that were due for Germany, there should only ever have been the TNT special version on disc, which was why it was the TNT version on the R1 'tester' disc.

For about 4 years the DVD I had was a self burned copy from the VHS version. I did this because I did not want to run my old VHS tape to death!

Unless you pick one up 2nd hand, I'd say that once that initial stock has run out...that's it.
              http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
              Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
              47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Really!! ThatÆs quite surprising how some euro countries are well catered for and others are essentially ignored. France isnÆt exactly a small market. ; )

Maybe Warner thought/thinks the German/UK (or whatever) version is enough, and Europe is a single market - potentially dodgy political point. ; )
                To be fair, France is a VERY small market regarding space opera series in general. Mind you, Star Trek, the original series, did not air in its entirety until 1985. The most succesful sci-fi show were Stargate and V, only because the main characters are contemporary. No other reason.

Farscape, the other Trek shows, Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica were only aired on cable channels, and never on national television.

The only exception to that rule is Star Wars.

Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong country.

Comment

Originally posted by pascalahad View Post

yeah, same here (frenchie inside ^^).
                  And there is something even more crazy...I have a french version of it.... from Belgium ! It was released there with the original french voices (same version as the VCR ones) and the title printed on the dvd is the french one ("Premier Contact Vorlon") ! oO
                  Last edited by Greg60; 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Lots of stuff to think about and talk about on this thread!

Ninja_Squirrel said:
                    With a bigger budget, could we have gotten more scenes set on Earth, even if indoor places like the EA Senate or the president's office?
                    You don't need a bigger budget to have more scenes set on Earth; it's actually cheaper to film things on Earth and have them look like Earth.

Morden said:
                    I very much like the BSG reboot, but then I never really cared for the original, even back in the 80s,
                    It should also be noted that BSG/original recipe ended in 1979; the reboot began 24 years later; with B5, we're only a few years out from the end of the series (no matter how you count the end of the series). Plus, BSG/original recipe was a seriously crappy show, and the reboot was for the most part, actually worth watching. B5 is already a work of art. There's no cause to reboot it in any fashion, IMHO.

Jonas said:
                    Telling the story of Babylon 5 again implies that the old version isn't good enough. Yes, the old version is flawed - but it is also a masterpiece full of wonderful moments that cannot simply be repeated. It is those moments, those details, that make Babylon 5 what it is. Babylon 5 isn't just the story of the last of the Babylon stations; it is G'Kar, and Londo, and Sheridan and Delenn and everyone else. And those characters are in turn connected to the actors who played them and helped shape them.

The story of Babylon 5 has been told. It was told under remarkable circumstances, pretty much unique in the history of US television, by an amazing group of people. Its flaws as well as its strengths are the result of that time and those people, and I think it should be allowed to stand as it is.
                    Sorry for the long quote, but it was so good, I had to leave it all in. Well said.

Jan said:
                    IMO, there's a big difference between going back to the status quo every episode and going back and re-telling a story without some of the pitfalls that beset the original. That's no more disrespectful of the original than it would be for an artist to go back and repaint a scene that she'd done previously as a child. Both are worthwhile.
                    I think this is a fatally flawed analogy. You can't in any way compare the original Babylon 5 to a picture drawn by a child. If you want to use this analogy, you'd have to say it's like if Van Gogh lived a few years more, and decided in 1901 to repaint "Sunflowers," which he originally did in 1888. That painting is a masterpiece, but maybe they were making canvases and brushes better thirteen years later, and he'd think he might do a better job of it. And what we'd have is another version of "Sunflowers" when a genius like Van Gogh maybe would have been better served to create something *new*, instead of retreading old ground.
                    Last edited by AmyG; 08-05-2011, 06:58 PM. Reason: Edited because a colon followed by an "o" is apparently an emoticon.

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
                      Jan said:

I think this is a fatally flawed analogy. You can't in any way compare the original Babylon 5 to a picture drawn by a child. If you want to use this analogy, you'd have to say it's like if Van Gogh lived a few years more, and decided in 1901 to repaint "Sunflowers," which he originally did in 1888. That painting is a masterpiece, but maybe they were making canvases and brushes better thirteen years later, and he'd think he might do a better job of it. And what we'd have is another version of "Sunflowers" when a genius like Van Gogh maybe would have been better served to create something *new*, instead of retreading old ground.
                      I didn't say anything about better, though. My comment was in response to the folk who seem to think it would be disrespectful of the original to re-whatever (I'm *seriously* sick and tired of the word reboot). But to go with your analogy, what about the various versions of the same scenes done by Monet? I think they were very worthwhile with all of the different lights and shadows.

Bringing it back to stories, I think stories *should* be re-told, re-interpreted from time to time. Just as Superman's origin has been told numerous times to keep it fresh and relatable for new audiences, I don't have any objection if the same is done with B5. It doesn't detract from the original, doesn't dishonor the ones who made it, it's simply different and, perhaps might turn out better.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I know they made those movies lately, but could you imagine another author rewriting The Lord of The Rings? And I don't mean just ripping it off, that's happened a few thousand times already, but actually saying I'm rewriting Lord of The Rings because Tolkein had a good story but he wasn't that great of a writer. I think that is a better comparison, but still flawed because JMS would have been doing it himself rather than someone else. I'd just prefer he did a new space show altogether, or even not a space show.
                        "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                        "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

I would see it most in the like of : "OK Peter Jackson filmed Lord of the Rings but he botched a number of things in my opinion, I want to do it again, you'll see, you'll be blown away". Tolkien's work still exists, Peter Jackson's movies still exist, but it may be another take at a familiar story. We have two versions of Dune (another in the works reportedly), two Spider-Man origin stories, quite a number of Batman origin stories in tv and movies...

Babylon 5 was conceived as "a novel for television", so why not? Especially if its creator has the will to do it. I would find it an interesting experience. Hitchcock remade quite a number of his previous movies, and not all for the worst, far from it.

Comment

I haven't seen that many authors go back and re-write their completed novels.
                            RIP Coach Larry Finch
                            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Good thing we don't talk about novels, then.

Comment

There are those that write a new chapter for the paperback version or a new foreward. I've seen that in the non-fiction section.

And in the fiction section, I've seen uncut versions of Stranger in a Strange Land and The Stand. To me, that's like a director's cut of a movie where some deleted scenes are reinserted. It's not a complete re-write.
                                RIP Coach Larry Finch
                                Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                                Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Working...
                                X