Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a new B5 series actually last a few years on television?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They would probably seek revenge against the Centauri, since he did die with Londo's hands around his neck and the wars would start all ove again until Vir figured out a way to stop them.

Comment

The Centauri Trilogy covers the ramifications of G'Kar killing Londo.

Comment

Originally posted by ILUVJOHNSHERIDAN View Post
        I must be in the minority because being female i love anything SciFi. seems like everything I like gets cancelled and these mindless sitcoms go on forever. I agree that a long lasting scifi series is way over due. BSG spin off is supposedly in the works called Blood and Chrome about the 1st cylon war. hopefully it will be picked up by syfy. also this is just my opinion, but i think a B5 series Continuing after Sheridans death featuring Delenn, David and ranger 1 Ivanova would be interesting. they could incorporate flash backs of Sheridan between lost tales and his death that way Bruce could also be in the series and the Crusade story could be elaborated.

I agree a long lasting sci-fi series is way overdue but it needs to be a quality sci-fi series. The last thing we need is another tired formulaic Stargate or Star Trek show repeating the same old stories over and over running between 5 and 10 years. BSG was like a breath of fresh air but once out of the safe framework of the original series the writers were soon discovered that they had no where to go. The idea of Blood and Chrome about the First Cylon War sounds good in theory but if they are using the same writing staff as BSG, I feel it will probably be another disappointing experience unless Ronald D Moore is hands on and writes a lot of episodes throughout the life of the show.

Unfortunately I have my doubts about any quality sci-fi show lasting in the current climate. Anything with originality or trying to be ground-breaking that doesn't have immediate ratings in the stratosphere won't get the chance to develop the show and an audience. As for the mainstream audience they won't stick with a show that doesn't come sprinting out of the gates, the ratings drop off and the show is dead.

Really you need a channel that wants to develop a sci-fi show and isn't too worried about ratings. Without that home I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Babylon 5 , Farscape or the likes again running for a reasonable length of time.

Out of curiosity was Farscape always on the Sci-fi Channel in the US? Or was it originally on a channel called Hallmark?

Comment

I always watched it on Syfy. We are now watching Farscape on netflix. They have all the episodes.

Comment

Farscape was always on Syfy, it was one of their keystone shows when they first started out. There is good sci fi out there, Doctor Who is amazing, Being Human is a great show and there are others. The problem is Syfy has all, but given up on being a network decidated to sci-fi. They are going after the reality TV market with either supernatural element or nerd level like Ghost Hunters, Destination Truth, Quantum Kitchen and so on. While I enjoy Destination Truth, the rest are crap. Ghost Hunters which was once a great show has fallen into the giant trap of same old same old with a rotating castn. Quantum Kitchen and the Hollywood auction finders are all about showing us the glamorous world of money few of us will ever have to do buy those items or dinning events. Their scripted shows go from great like Warehouse 13 to ok like Sanctuary to terrible SGU. It would be fine if they weren't all 13 episode series and barely around most of the time.

It also hurts that Syfy thinks their bad movies are ratings winner. Instead of the truth that they are just something people MST3K them. The wrestling is another head scratcher, but I guess if it works for USA and they are NBC affilate, so why not? Its a shame that a channel that had a lot of potential turned into a joke.

Comment

I do like Eureka. It is a different kind of show. a little corny but enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by lotjx View Post
                The Centauri Trilogy covers the ramifications of G'Kar killing Londo.
                The Legions of Fire Trilogy does not show what the Narns did after G'kar's death. It just stated what Vir did with the help of Girabaldi to kill the Drak and with the help Alliance was rebuilding Centauri Prime and putting statues of Londo and G'kar.

Comment

In relation to the Centauri and Narn, Kosh said they were a dying race, but I think it would be nice to explore how exactly their respective ends came about. Did the Narn learn anything from G-Kar, Na-Toth and Ta-Lon, or did they just re-enter the war cycle? Did the Centauri rebuild, and what happened once they did? You would hope Vir would change things, but you know what the Centauri are like.

In regards to TV shows, I think that a lot of TV is too disposable these days. My mam used to love Hawaii 5-0 so we thought we'd watch the new series, and it just looks like it'll get canned after two years. To me its all too flash, too many quips and the case is wrapped up in the last 5 minutes... primarily by an iphone: I shudder to think how many criminals would be running around if that hadn't been invented! It's the same with reality shows such as Big Brother, they're just throwaway TV which seem easy for the TV companies to throw together.

Another problem is that Sci-fi / fantasy shows are too easily pidgeon holed as 'cult' shows, no matter how good they are. Some of my favourite shows have been so called cult hits (B5, Buffy, Angel, Chuck) which have had a solid and loyal fan base, but which never connected with a hugh main audience because of the way they were perceived.

I'd love to see a new show hit the screens which has deep and fascinating characters, a story arc and a defined beginning, middle and end but I wonder if its the weight of expectation which makes people reluctant to sign up for a long time as well. No matter the end the writers produce, some fans are always going to feel let down and don't want to invest their time in it. I'm thinking Lost here. I don't have Sky so didn't see it after season 2, but everyone I know who had watched it through to the end felt let down by the ending, and I also heard bad things about Battlestar Galactica's finale (which, again, I've not seen personally). I'm trying to think which final episode of a series I loved.....ah, that's it, Babylon 5
                  I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

Comment

Originally posted by I, Zathras View Post
                    In relation to the Centauri and Narn, Kosh said they were a dying race, but I think it would be nice to explore how exactly their respective ends came about. Did the Narn learn anything from G-Kar, Na-Toth and Ta-Lon, or did they just re-enter the war cycle? Did the Centauri rebuild, and what happened once they did? You would hope Vir would change things, but you know what the Centauri are like.
                    According to JMS they don't die out, but they don't transform like the Minbari and the humans, either (if I remember correctly).
                    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by ILUVJOHNSHERIDAN View Post
                      The Legions of Fire Trilogy does not show what the Narns did after G'kar's death. It just stated what Vir did with the help of Girabaldi to kill the Drak and with the help Alliance was rebuilding Centauri Prime and putting statues of Londo and G'kar.
                      The statues were built years later as well as Vir and Garibaldi killing the Drahk. If the Narns didn't do anything in that time, I doubt they would do anything at a later time. They were also there at the end of Sleeping in Light, so they must be in good standing with the Alliance.

Comment

Working...
                      X