Strength of Shadows and Vorlons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Kosh] He is not ready to see the truth. Let him go his way. [/Kosh]
    Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
    James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
      No, because your "opinons" are not opinions. You made a totally incorrect statement in the snipped quote from you that I used. If opinion has the ability to ignore facts, then yeah, your opinion makes sense.
      That isn't the point really. The point is that I don't read EU stories and personally I don't accept works of fiction written by someone else with the ok of the original writer/creator. Not the same as being genuinely from said creative author. As I said... I'm discriminating in that respect.

Like G'kar said... ".. its not what you wanted to hear..."
      The Eagle stood erect on the Mountain watched the ships arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkingEagle
        But the writings in the books never appear in any of the episodes or movies.
        The following books series have stuff that appear in the episodes:

"The Passing of the Techno-mages" trilogy
        "Legions of Fire" trilogy
        The Psi-corps trilogy
        "The Shadow within"
        and
        "To dream in the city of sorrows"

Comment

Actually, what G'Kar said to Catherine Sakai in "Mind War" was "...it's simply not an answer you like, or the answer you expected."

Aisling

Comment

That isn't the point really. The point is that I don't read EU stories and personally I don't accept works of fiction written by someone else with the ok of the original writer/creator. Not the same as being genuinely from said creative author. As I said... I'm discriminating in that respect.

Well, that's curious, because the books we are speaking of were not only done with an OK, but with a full outline and guide. One was done by his wife fer cryin' out loud - how much closer to the source are you gonna get?

I understand perfectly the logic behind avoiding extended material - namely, you don't want crap that'll sully your view of the original. And there were a number of B5 books put out that were sheer crap, until JMS tossed some weight around. Luckily they've never been reprinted, and are only seen on Ebay and the collections of the desparate. What we're recommending to you is not crap. Some of it is better than episodes that even Joe has written.

I understand the purity bit - I was a schmuck like that too once - but listen to us for a bit. We do know what we're talkin' about. And for the sake of a purity that you've self-admittedly taken to an extreme, you're missing some ball-breaking stories.

Do you want to know how Londo finally fufilled Lady Morella's prophecy? It's in the books. Want to know why Sheridan's White Star wasn't vaporized on approach to Z'Ha'Dum? It's in the books. Want to know why Sinclair was really willing to toss his life away on a trip to the past? In the books. Want to know how Bester got the way he was? In there too. All of this did not come directly from the hand of the Great Maker, but he was standing over these writer's shoulders and nodding his head, just the same. Same as he was doing as executive producer of B5, watching other people pen scripts for his shows.

JMS himself wrote an episode warning against the zeal of purity. Don't tell me you skipped that one.
            Last edited by Radhil; 08-27-2004, 11:10 AM.
            Radhil Trebors
            Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil

JMS himself wrote an episode warning against the zeal of purity. Don't tell me you skipped that one.
              A couple of them. Don't forget the Lorcans in Crusade being so worried about being exposed to 'corruption'.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Grey??? Not when it comes to energy. Opposing forces of that magnitude will cancel each other out. The Vorlons and the Shadows are beings of energy. They no longer have corporeal bodies like we have. But judging from JMS quote and from the episode I would say that Kosh Narenek was outnumbered and that the 2 shadows with Morden were able to reduce Kosh to a flash of light... pure energy. Too bad we couldn't see it in the episode. That must have been an awesome sight.
                Incorrect. We've had the discussion of the semicorporeal nature of Vorlons before, the fact that Kosh was physically poisoned by a physical patch would not have happened for a purely energy based being.
                And let's not forget that energy is carried by matter (e.g. heat) or by subatomic particles (photons, the momentum of alpha particles, etc.). "Energy" as a dissociated entity may well be impossible.

Going back to the original question: Why two (or more?) of Morden's associates were able to kill one Vorlon?
                I'm "begging the question."
                (Pun intended with the original correct sense of the phrase as a logical fallacy)
                Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil

I understand perfectly the logic behind avoiding extended material - namely, you don't want crap that'll sully your view of the original. And there were a number of B5 books put out that were sheer crap, until JMS tossed some weight around. Luckily they've never been reprinted, and are only seen on Ebay and the collections of the desparate.
                  Hey! I am not desperate!

I was looking through my SF books, I still can't find To Dream in the City of Sorrow, but I found 1-5 or 6. Yecch!
                  "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotKosh
                    Hey! I am not desperate!

I was looking through my SF books, I still can't find To Dream in the City of Sorrow, but I found 1-5 or 6. Yecch!
                    Well if you need another, there's always:

Amazon

Jan
                    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Amazon is good.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Working...
                      X