Story of Valen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    What those you single out do is to provide context... ever heard of context? It's the kind of information that helps understanding.
    And almost everyone gave you an answer: the answer is that no one accepted your invitation to write what amounts to fanfiction for the reasons mentioned either directly or as part of the context...

To misquote your misquoting (of G'Kar, was it?): it is an answer, just not the one you wanted to hear...

True originality is creating your own universe and characters (at least the latter), not playing in the sandbox created by someone else, much less if someone other than the owner of the playing field wants to set arbitrary rules. Real true originality is at odds with what you ask.

If you had actually read the answers you'd realize why people won't give you the answer you want...
    Having convictions is a virtue, but being stubborn is a vice.

I said this before: your stubbornness was close to reaching flame-baiting proportions... but once you started making personal comments I think you are just posting flame-bait in topics like this one.
    It wasn't personal, don't take it, and much less make it, so...

Kindly go away, think about the answers you got and realize that it doesn't matter if you don't think that way, accept as fact that we disagree with you and live with it.
    Au contrar...

No flamebaiting involved on my part. I asked a question. 3 members decided to make a joke of everything if not just being downright disruptive. Almost no one answered the question directly because you didn't want to answer. If that was said in the beginning instead of engaging in negative social behavior I would not have continued to pursue.

This borders on snobbishness on the part of the members thats all.

No flame intended. I wasn't being negative at all, but you people were. You all were being proprietory.
    The Eagle stood erect on the Mountain watched the ships arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkingEagle
      This is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint. I got everything but an answer to my question. I got resistance, I got sarcasm, I got fear, I got off-topic chatter (which seems to be a pathological reaction by AislingGrey and DeMartino and a few others concerning open questioning), and I got nonchalance. But not one answer.

Very interesting indeed. Of course it has to do with the very mention of the initials JMS. I noticed a kind of "lets close ranks" reactionary tendency instead of an active imaginative participation in storyline creativity. That of course frightens many people here. LMAO!
      Wrong. You dictate with some posts your arbitrary definition of canon, which runs against what everyone else here believes. Then you dismiss out of hand the experienced peoples conditioning not to discuss new B5 plotlines in a public forum. Then you insult when you don't get the reaction you want.

You are a fanatic, who stands alone, and when noone wants to play with you, you hurl insults.
      "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

This is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint.
        It is, indeed. Maybe the reason why no one is interested in dancing to your tune is because they think the song sucks?

I thought that point was made, quite clearly, very early on. What has been interesting from the psychological standpoint is your insistance that the fact that the others don't dance when you say "dance" is due to personal faults in them.

"Fascinating, Captain."
        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

I am a lurker and don't post very often. As a result, I don't have anything to gain or lose by posting my opinion on this. WE, you are *way* out there.

JMS has mentioned that he cannot be exposed to FanFic (or the possibility of). The people on this board have tremendous respect for JMS and so don't post *anything* that can be contrived as fanfic.

How do you take that respect and turn it into "snobbishness on the part of the members thats all" (direct quote)??

Comment

Aye. I don't post much here, either. And I'm doing a psychology degree, and I'm telling you that this:
            This is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint.
            is what we call toss (stop me if I get too technical).

No one wants to answer your question, for the reasons stated, mostly out of respect for JMS's position. I'm not sure if you actually have difficultly understanding this or if you have some kind of displacement mechanism going on. Or maybe you're being overly sensitive and defensive. Either way, I suggest some counselling; it doesn't look like a major problem and you should be able to work it through fairly quickly.

There's no real excuse for a psychologically healthy person to not be able to grasp the fact that what Gkar4ever (in his (her?) last post), and everyone else has told you is perfectly valid.

Comment

His.

Comment

Thanks, I thought it probably was, but you never can be sure on the net...

Comment

This is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint. A very intriguing demonstration of one who thinks he is important and intelligent and knowledgable, and refuses to acknowledge anything that demonstrates he is none of these things. A phenomenon commonly known as selective listening, usually only found in young and underdeveloped children. And as icing on the cake, blame transference.

To address your post more directly... If I were JMS, in response to your posts asking for story ideas, I would not only call you an ass, I would dissect your wimpy attempts at ignoring everything everyone is saying, demolish the thought that a simple idea of a "great war" that's already been well outlined could ever be called "original", and point out that while you may always have and express your opinion, that doesn't excuse you being an idiot.

There you are, Walking Eagle. NOW you can call someone here snobbish, arrogant, and rude - I have no problem demonstrating the true meaning of these traits to you, as these fine folks have far more patience than me. One hopes you have learned from this and that from now on, you will be able to better tell the difference.

Not holding my breath though.
                  Radhil Trebors
                  Persona Under Construction

Comment

(grabs some popcorn, enjoys the show)

Comment

<mommy voice> Okay people, maybe it's time that we all went and played on other threads? There's too much mud getting tracked in her and if the nanny's being entertained we should know that it's time to drop it. </mommy voice>

Too many nice people here to let a couple sour the atmosphere.

Jan
                      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

This is very interesting from a psychological viewpoint. A very intriguing demonstration of one who thinks he is important and intelligent and knowledgable, and refuses to acknowledge anything that demonstrates he is none of these things. A phenomenon commonly known as selective listening, usually only found in young and underdeveloped children. And as icing on the cake, blame transference.
                        Pretty good, Radhil, but I'd also throw in "solipsism" and "delusions of grandeur." Of course, my "off-topic chatter...seems to be a pathological reaction," so hey, what do _I_ know?

Aisling

Comment

Funny, I thought you had sworn a dark oath never to acknowledge my presence again....

Oh well, so much for that strategy : /

(Pssst, hey WE you just gonna sit there and let them insult you like that!? Remember, persistance is key ; D

Comment

Awww, c'mon, Jan, can't we play a bit more?

Comment

"It was the last of the 'Story of Valen' posts. There would never be another. It changed the forum, and it changed us. It taught us that we had to create the forum, or others will do it for us.

"It showed us that we have to care for each others' opinions, because if we don't, who will?

"And that bizarreness sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places.

"Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new threads, even for people like us."
                              Last edited by grumbler; 09-08-2004, 05:05 PM.
                              I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                                "It was the last of the 'Story of Valen' posts. There would never be another. It changed the forum, and it changed us. It taught us that we had to create the forum, or others will do it for us.

"It showed us that we have to care for each others' opinions, because if we don't, who will?

"And that bizarreness sometimes comes from the most unlikely of places.

"Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new threads, even for people like us."
                                You know...I like that!

Jan
                                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Working...
                                X