No announcement yet.

Huge news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the 'spending a lot of time in london' subject.

HE is working on a play here but also it could allow him a lot of time to do the european convention circuit. How better to publicise TMoS than going out to the fans.

SPREAD THE WORD JMS....
    Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

You seem to be doing just fine without me, CE.

Re: JMS going to the U.K. because he's producing a play there. Ah, the game of "telephone" is still alive and well, I see. Actually JMS mentioned in passing that he might try to get a workshop production of a play he's been writing for about the last 10 years going in Los Angeles, and that if that version works out he might do the same in London while he's there on other business.. He isn't going to London to do a play. He might try that as long as he's in the area.

Ditto any European convention appearances. He isn't going to do the cons (he has so little time for that kind of thing that he hardly ever gets to conventions other than West Coast ones in the U.S. for pity's sake.) He'll do European conventions because he will be over there for other reasons anyway, and it is a chance to meet the fans. As for promoting TMoS - please. The time to do that is when you're about to open, not when you're still a draft away from the final script.

(BTW, CE is right of course about the on-going drafts being no bar to preproduction work. Although JMS tries not to work that way, it is common practice in Hollywood for scripts to continue being refined even after shooting starts, and it isn't even unusual for production to start without a finished script. Sometimes this works out - Casablanca is an example - but generally it doesn't. The B5 commentaries make it clear how unusual it was to have finished scripts well ahead of time in television, and how this enabled them to keep the day down to a mere 12 to 14 hours with everyone going home by 8 instead staying until midnight - often waiting around in costume and make-up for new pages to be delivered to the set. That was typical of many shows, including the various Treks and is one reason none of them was able to stick to its original budget while B5 kept finishing its season under budget.)

Regards,

Joe
      Joseph DeMartino
      Sigh Corps
      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Lets see JMS is working on:

TMoS
        2 possible US network shows
        A British show
        A play in L.A. and with luck in London
        His comics
        Some books.

He is going to be busy.

Working on a British show whilst producing the US shows will require him to perform a weekly/monthly commute between London and the USA, and possibly Australia.
        Last edited by Andrew_Swallow; 08-25-2004, 10:03 PM.
        Andrew Swallow

Comment

You left out "several comic book titles." Also I must have missed the post where JMS said that what he's doing in London and vicinity has anything to do with a series.

Regards,

Joe
          Joseph DeMartino
          Sigh Corps
          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
            Ditto any European convention appearances. He isn't going to do the cons (he has so little time for that kind of thing that he hardly ever gets to conventions other than West Coast ones in the U.S. for pity's sake.) He'll do European conventions because he will be over there for other reasons anyway, and it is a chance to meet the fans. As for promoting TMoS - please. The time to do that is when you're about to open, not when you're still a draft away from the final script.
            If the London work is a TV series an October start should have produced something ready to show by Easter or the summer. The German convention would be a good time to hype the export version.
            Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
              You left out "several comic book titles." Also I must have missed the post where JMS said that what he's doing in London and vicinity has anything to do with a series.
              Thank you. I noticed that the comics had been left off the list, so we posted at the same time.

We do not know what the "London show" is. It could be a TV series or a film. Since time wise it "fits in" I do not think it is TMoS; although I am willing to believe that JMS will save money by working on a show and say supervising the TMoS music at the same time. For JMS to be relocating in October the London show must have been given the initial go ahead, mention of it should start appearing else where.

The BBC was just an example of a combined production and distribution company that gets very bothered if you hire studio space overseas.
              Andrew Swallow

Comment

Do you know.....

fact 1 : NOBODY HERE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON!

(OK the film is a get - go but I am on about the DETAILS...)

With so much SPECULATION around it is easy for people to form an opinion, and even easier for someone to down that opinion.
                I see a lot of that happening lately. But like I said above, nobody apart from JMS knows exactly what is happening so for people to down people for having a GUESS ( which of course they are as well ) kinda makes me sad.

Let us just wait for JMS to let us know what is REALLY happening.
                Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Originally posted by circularREASON
                  Let us just wait for JMS to let us know what is REALLY happening.
                  Why would we want to do a crazy thing like that? That would ruin all wild speculation
                  ---
                  Co-host of The Second Time Around podcast
                  www.benedictfamily.org/podcast

Comment

We do not know what the "London show" is. It could be a TV series or a film.
                    Or it could be a play since we already know he is thinking of putting on his medieval play in London. (Whereas the other work he will be in England for will mostly be in Hertfordshire as I recall.) Plays are also called "shows"

Regards,

Joe
                    Joseph DeMartino
                    Sigh Corps
                    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

BTW, CE is right of course about the on-going drafts being no bar to preproduction work. Although JMS tries not to work that way, it is common practice in Hollywood for scripts to continue being refined even after shooting starts, and it isn't even unusual for production to start without a finished script.
                      True, although everyone JMS has said at this point indicates a draft of the script, not even a shooting script (which, of course, could continue to be refined). Any pre-production at this point is still very quiet... maybe some animatics or design work, but since there's nothing in the trades (the project isn't even listed in the pre-production lists) practically by definition any work being done is still fairly minimal and under the wire.

Hopefully we'll get some news about the draft JMS is handing in soon, and how it was received.

Comment

Andrew wrote:
                        Lets see JMS is working on:

TMoS
                        2 possible US network shows
                        A British show????????

and

We do not know what the "London show" is. It could be a TV series or a film.

Ok, I had to double-check JMS' post.

WHERE IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU GETTING THAT HE'S DOING A "LONDON SHOW"?!

Nowhere does JMS state that he's "doing a show in London." NOWHERE!

Boy, I find it fascinating how the human beast can see only what they want to see no matter how clear a matter or statement is.

Sheesh!

Anywho, Telemachos, you're correct, Meyer would most likely not be interested, but would be a great choice (that was merely my thoughts on the matter). Proyas would be an interesting choice, but you're also correct there...I doubt they would be able to get him...not to mention Proyas has thus far not been the type to jump from one production to another. He seems very deliberate in his projects and does not turn them out quickly. It was years between THE CROW and DARK CITY...and even longer between DARK CITY and I, ROBOT.

My reference to HIGHLANDER was in regards to the last film, which was based on the series character of Duncan and used the series folk to do it. It was...lackluster.

Mulcahy is a visionary director of films and has also directed TV (The US Queer as Folk is one such instance).

You're right about how WB sees the project, but it's my belief (NOTICE I SAID BELIEF) that they are desirous of a franchise out of this and will thusly put some hard effort and choices into it. I don't get the impression that this is a "throw-away" film. ("Throw-away" meaning, "We'll spend a little, and hope it does well with a decent marketing campaign behind it and if nothing else we'll make bit of cash on DVD's. For example: The ANACONDA *barf!* sequel is a "throw-away.")

As for any of the series directors coming in as AD's or 2nd Unit. Telemachos is correct, that would be a step down on 2nd Unit, and AD is more of a field producer position, not really creative.

So I would estimate that either one of them will get the director gig, or none of them will get anything. I've said elsewhere for everyone to remember that Vejar and the others aren't jobless, they do work a great deal on other shows, so them not getting the gig isn't like them loosing a job.

I've also said that while they were ok for series TV, they're not the best directors in the world and are not feature film material.

Thanks Joe for backing me on the pre-production fact. Remember everyone, pre-production is not shooting. It's production design, set construction, crew hiring, FX house contracting, etc. There are literally tons of things to do prior to the start of principle photography. Things that do not require a final draft of the script.

I do not think they will start shooting without JMS' final draft, but pre-production can easily start in ernest. We know that sets will have to be built for Babylon 5, itself, we know Whitestar sets will most likely have to go up, etc. These are a given, and a lot of production design has most likely already been done on everything. BTW, I would expect B5 and other series sets to look at least somewhat notably different. They will want this to have a fresh, big screen look to it.

Remember, this is a new ballgame, a totally different playing field, and much bigger stakes. Think on a different level, folks.

CE
                        Anthony Flessas
                        Writer/Producer/Director,
                        SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
                          [B]Proyas has thus far not been the type to jump from one production to another.
                          Yeah. Like your Meyer pick, it's more of something I think would be cool than something concrete.

My reference to HIGHLANDER was in regards to the last film, which was based on the series character of Duncan and used the series folk to do it. It was...lackluster.
                          Ah yes -- I'd removed all concept of those last 2 films from my mind.

but it's my belief (NOTICE I SAID BELIEF) that they are desirous of a franchise out of this and will thusly put some hard effort and choices into it. I don't get the impression that this is a "throw-away" film.
                          I believe the same -- and I certainly hope it's true! Again, drifting back to my early days of following the LOTR project... every mention of a cast or crew member coming on board was a "Wow -- interesting choice. Could be great and certainly is exciting" -- if WB stays in that line, I'll be happy.

There are literally tons of things to do prior to the start of principle photography. Things that do not require a final draft of the script.
                          Absolutely -- I think one area that's still unknown is exactly what draft version JMS is handing in. It's obviously a rewrite, and my sense of it is that this *could* be the version that gets the show officially greenlit and kicks the whole pre-production process into gear. (Clearly there would still be polishes to come.)

You make a great point about the sets: I'd be surprised if they weren't ALL remodeled to some degree. If you've got the money, no need to avoid spending it! JMS has repeatedly said over the years how the B5 crew stretched their money by dressing sets cost-effectively and so forth -- the same approach will be solid in terms to being efficient, but there's potential for really stepping up the detail and scope of the sets (IMHO the smaller sets were generally fine, but the larger sets always felt a bit cramped on the series. I'd love to see a grander, more expansive view of the Zocalo, Down Under, the docking areas, and off the station: the palaces of Centauri Prime (if needed), Mars, etc.)

Comment

You make a great point about the sets: I'd be surprised if they weren't ALL remodeled to some degree.
                            Recreated completely, I would think. Set building is all about only building what you need. TV sets wouldn't be built to a standard that would hold up to the finer resolution of the big screen. Faux paint schemes would fall apart in the cinema. The TV sets (assuming they're still in storage) might be pulled out for reference, but I'd think that would be about it.
                            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

The TV sets (assuming they're still in storage) might be pulled out for reference, but I'd think that would be about it.
                              Nah. Storage costs money. Most sets are desroyed days after it's certain they're no longer needed. The corridors and constantly redressed rooms of B5 have long since been chainsawed.
                              Radhil Trebors
                              Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil
                                Nah. Storage costs money. Most sets are desroyed days after it's certain they're no longer needed. The corridors and constantly redressed rooms of B5 have long since been chainsawed.
                                Looking back at my post, I realize it sounded like I had more optimism about their continued existence than I actually did. I figured they were gone, but just to answer the question definitively I present the following from JMS...
                                We saved a small number of the B5 sets for Crusade (part of the zocalo, some conference rooms, a couple of quarters and a hallway, that's about it) since we were going to be going back and forth to B5. But when Crusade went down, those sets were also elimated, as were the sets for Rangers.
                                So Radhil, you are absolutely corrrect!
                                "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Working...
                                X