No announcement yet.

Huge news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems fairly obvious to me that JMS was trying to sound purposefully nonchalant in saying "just, y'know, workin', doin' stuff." in JMS-speak, that means he's giving the HUGE hint that this is very important

Comment

Strange then that it's immediately disregarded that his purpose in being purposely nonchalant .... was to be nonchalant.

'Course, I did it too... *sigh*
      Radhil Trebors
      Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by colonyearth
        [B]Ok, the Hollywood bit...WB will shoot where it's cheapest and best, period.
        Granted. How "best" is determined may be more than simply a financial figure on renting stages and crew wages.

We've all been through this many times over. Hollywood is very expensive to shoot in, period.
        Yup, it is -- though depending on how favors are called in, you can also swing great deals.

Believe what you will, but I seriously doubt WB will shoot in LA.
        You could totally be right -- I just think it's a bit premature to seriously consider the project overseas before an announcement is even made. Obviously if it goes ahead and WB decides to go with WETA, being on the flip side of the world could be very advantageous. But, parsing Joe's comments as arguments for or against an Australian or NZ shoot seems a reach, at this point.

When you're trying to get the biggest bang for your buck, you cut costs where you can in order to have more cash for the FX. This is common film practice.
        Yeah, I'm well aware of that. Of course, most productions are extremely inefficient with how they do VFX too. JMS's detailed pre-production and logistics planning experience may well end up being one of the things that streamlines the production regardless of location.

As for Collatoral, that's apples and oranges. One film was a low budget thriller, the other is a big budget SF film. Two very different beasts.
        COLLATERAL cost $60 million and utilized top Hollywood talent. Very different beasts, yes, but I used it merely as an example that occasionally industry folks find it advantageous to keep things in the neighborhood.[/quote]

As for Franke, he has used several different orchestras in his career, and has composed feature film scores before.
        Cool! I wasn't up to speed with all of his work. Sorry about babbling on about old subjects. (No pun intended )

As for the Trek films taking TV crew...yes they did and it's one of the biggest blunders they made. TV ain't film. It might save some bucks though. However, Trek was still running when that move was made, B5 has been over for a number of years now.
        Yeah -- it was probably largely a cost-saving measure, and they figured they could count on the die-hard fans to help have a decent opening weekend. Hopefully WB doesn't take this short-sighted approach (and I know JMS won't, as long as he draws breath).

Telemachos, you seem to be of the opinion that I'm a stupid little fanboy. You're wrong. So far I've been pretty spot on with my predictions...as I weigh them in the light of my film knowledge and common sense...not fanboy desire.
        Not at all -- didn't mean to jump in and slam you. But I think it's worth remembering that at this point this project isn't even worthy of trade paper print... we're moving along on a nudge-nudge-wink-wink. Not that I doubt JMS -- he's always been upfront -- but having survived several years of rampant LOTR film-speculation, things at this point are worth taking with more than a few grains of salt.

If you have inside info, by all means share, but be prepared to back up your statements somehow.
        I don't have inside info -- at least at the moment. Just another informed fan interested in following the production.

Ultimately, the studio will do what the studio wishes...and we have no idea what that may turn out to be...at least until WB lets us know.
        Too true.

Just because WB shot B5 in LA (which they really didn't...was not the stage they shot on in Nevada or some such? Can someone confirm this?)
        They shot in Sun Valley, just north of Burbank and Glendale.

Comment

quote -

some stuff that shares initials with the following phrase?
          >
          >Hidily-Ho, Great Time To Go?

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy!

am I right or what?
          Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

are they doing radio or tv?

the movie has been shooting for ages.
            Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Hitchhikers has been in production for a while, so it would make no sens to bring him in now. There are two new series of radio shows that are already recorded, with the first one premiering on September 21, i believe, on BBC 4. (You can listen online).
              Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Telemachos,

I should probably have started with, "Welcome aboard! Good to have you join us in the fray!"

I did get a bit...well...defensive...I suppose. I do apologize. God...I'm turning into Joe DeMartino. (Just kidding, Joe )

Your points are well taken, but given JMS' extremely good ability to cut costs and bring things in under budget and on time...I'm strongly predicting that TMoS will shoot in Australia.

I have many reasons for this prediction, but it is my conslusion based on the bits of info we have up to now, plus other little industry tidbits I've heard that indicate this.

As I've said, I use common sense to attempt to conclude the most likely scenario given the information at hand.

WB will want the best VFX they can get on this since in this day and age bad FX can kill a feature dead in its tracks. They don't want a cheap look, they'll want big and as real as they can get for the money. This would mean saving a buck where they can.

Collatoral, I will remind you, also had to pay Cruise his fee, which IMHO is way too bloated. That was most likely about half the budget of the film. Also, Mann has always preferred shooting in LA, so his choice to do so is no surprise.

I said this in another thread: This is a different ballgame with TMoS than it was with the series. We are in a whole new league...the big leagues. The majority of the rules that applied to the series no longer apply. We, as fans, must begin to think on a different level.

WB will want this film to be big and reach beyond the B5 fan base. This is their opportunity to have their own Trek-type franchise if they play their cards right.

While JMS will be given more lattitude than most people in his case would because of his history with WB, they will still be watching this one with bated breath, making certain that they don't make the mistakes Trek has made in recent years.

I would say, JMS is looking at this more like, "I want to make my ST II," and not, "Let's make Insurrection." *Holds back the urge to vomit and then pass out asleep from boredom at the very thought of Insurrection.*

However, much has changed in the biz in ST II, so to make such an impactful film, they will be looking in different places and at different people now than Paramount did then.

However, I've always said and still do, that Nicholas Meyer would make a great directoral choice for TMoS. He fits the bill of known, talented, visionary, willing to stay true to a universe while bringing his own ideas, and not so big that his name overshadows everything and his ego overshadows the shadows.

This, is however, all simple speculation given the info at hand. It's fun, but not fact.

The reason TMoS isn't worthy of the trades yet is because no official announcement has been released. The trades won't report it until there is. The trades don't report rumor like the internet does.

I suspect that WB is waiting for the final draft of the re-writes before they announce. In the meantime, I'm sure they're searching for the right directoral fit. That way, hopefully, when the official announcement does finally come, they can announce the director as well.

Oh well, more later.

CE

PS: Joe? I'm surprised you haven't spoken up yet? Are you there? Hello? Joe? *knock, knock* Hello?

PSS: Folks, JMS has said repeatedly now that the series' he's been offered are "network" series. While this does not exclude the BBC, his responses to speculation have been more in line with someone hinting that neither series is in the UK without coming right out and saying such.

His time in the UK will be for a while but "on-and-off," which means, "I'll keep a place there for a while since I'll be coming and going due to my work. But I won't be there consistently, like living there as my permenant home type thing for a year." "On-and-off" he said. Take the meaning of JMS' words for what they are...and that meaning is pretty damn clear.
                Last edited by colonyearth; 08-25-2004, 09:22 AM.
                Anthony Flessas
                Writer/Producer/Director,
                SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

colony, yeah, Nick Meyer is a great guy and would be a solid choice. However, he's more involved with writing rather than directing these days, and also usually only directs scripts that he's had a hand in. I'm also not sure he'd be interested in doing another SF series->film deal, but who knows? (It'd be a kick to see the reaction from all the B5/ST fandom, no doubt).

Also, his salary would be a good deal heftier than WB might prefer. I suspect they'll go with a far less familiar name if they end going outside the B5 stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Telemachos
                    colony, yeah, Nick Meyer is a great guy and would be a solid choice. However, he's more involved with writing rather than directing these days, and also usually only directs scripts that he's had a hand in. I'm also not sure he'd be interested in doing another SF series->film deal, but who knows? (It'd be a kick to see the reaction from all the B5/ST fandom, no doubt).

Also, his salary would be a good deal heftier than WB might prefer. I suspect they'll go with a far less familiar name if they end going outside the B5 stable.
                    I agree it's very doubtful that Meyer would do it...I simply meant that he'd be a good choice.

As for his salary...I don't think it would be as high as you might think.

Besides, JMS has hinted that the budget for TMoS ain't nothing to smirk at.

CE
                    Anthony Flessas
                    SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

colony, I forgot to mention: thanks for the welcome! I've been checking this site for years for the updates and never wandered into the forums before.

Back to Meyer: sure, he wouldn't break the bank... but if budgetary constraints are such that WB wants to conserve production and crew expenses to funnel into VFX, then it would make sense for them to hire a lesser-known name.

Also, for another series->film example: The X-Files. They stayed in-house with Rob Bowman, who did a fairly good job at expanding the look and feel of the movie while keeping it within the X-Files universe.

At the end of the day, the good thing is you don't need a name director to sell the movie to the public -- the brand-name will do that.

Just don't get Paul W.S. Anderson. Please.

Comment

I agree about Anderson, the man is a curse. I could direct a better film tied-up, blind-folded, and gagged.

You're welcome on the welcome thank-you's.

As for Meyer, I don't think he's as costly as you think he is. He's not a known name outside of ST fans. Especially in the last decade.

I don't think WB will cut to much on director, since a director can destroy this whole thing before it ever reaches a theatre. The main cast is not big money, so chances are they'll want someone with a good track record in features.

I'm telling you now, if they bring in a TV director, it most likely will fail.

Highlander, X-Files (while Bowman did ok, it was still criticized for being a two hour episode on the big screen), Trek (on three occasions) all suffered in one way or another because of TV directors sitting in the big chair.

I'm not saying they won't but I firmly believe it would be a major mistake. I really don't see WB doing it either. Expect a feature director to be named and someone with some semblence of a good history.

No...you don't always have to name a director to sell the movie, JMS and the B5 name will do that. However, that one crucial position can ruin it to such an extent that the names JMS and B5 won't matter because the movie sucks. You can have the best script ever written and a great cast, but a bad director can make them seem horrid and superficial. Besides the fact that an at least somewhat known director could help pull in the non-fans and put some more butts in the seats, thus expanding the fanbase.

Could they name a Mike Vejar or Janet Greek? Yes. Would it be a bigtime mistake? More than likely. I've seen enough of their work on B5 and elsewhere to know they are ok directors, but not all that.

CE
                        Anthony Flessas
                        SP Pictures

Comment

[i]
                          As for Meyer, I don't think he's as costly as you think he is. He's not a known name outside of ST fans. Especially in the last decade.
                          Yeah, I think the issue would be more his interest (or lack thereof) in directing, to say nothing of directing another FX-heavy vehicle.

Expect a feature director to be named and someone with some semblence of a good history.
                          Point taken, though of course it's worth mentioning that HIGHLANDER was a film before it was a series (and Russell Mulcahy comes more from a features/second unit background than TV).

Besides the fact that an at least somewhat known director could help pull in the non-fans and put some more butts in the seats, thus expanding the fanbase.
                          Frankly, I think unless the name is really a big name, most people don't care about the director of a project, and those who do you usually need to qualify with "he's the guy who did <fill in the name>." If WB goes for the name route, I'd imagine it'd be more for the experience than the marketing potential.

The suits can always surprise, too! I still can't get over the fact that Paramount's handing over their MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE franchise to a first-timer with J.J. Abrams -- no matter how good of a writer he is.

Could they name a Mike Vejar or Janet Greek? Yes. Would it be a bigtime mistake? More than likely. I've seen enough of their work on B5 and elsewhere to know they are ok directors, but not all that.
                          Well, I think ultimately it will depend on how WB sees the project. If you keep the budget down -- say $50-60 million -- a Janet Greek or Mike Vejar will be competent and the film will probably be profitable overseas and on video. A bigtime mistake? Not if they're purely looking at minimal investment/decent returns.

Hopefully they aren't. (It sounds like they aren't). Given that the best-case result of a TV director would be something like X-FILES ($70-80 mil), I hope WB sees this as a potential major franchise, and worthy of appropriate investment in terms of time and talent.

(not to bash Vejar or Greek in any way)

Personally, and he may be much more expensive with I, ROBOT being a hit, I think someone like Alex Proyas could bring a lot to the table.... and if your theory of shooting in Australia turns out correct, that's another bonus for him.

Comment

Quick question for those involved in the biz, since I'm just a watcher:
                            Could Vejar or Greek be brought in as second unit directors or some such assistant position?
                            That would be a way JMS could reward them, and help them get some further experience... and then they might get to direct a future B5 project.
                            Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                            James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

<<That would be a way JMS could reward them, and help them get some further experience... and then they might get to direct a future B5 project.>>

Vejar, whose name I just found out from the commentaries is pronounced "Spanish" style, is awesome, IMO. I really like his work.
                              Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I can't speak definitely, and don't know if there are specific Guild rules regarding this. The only possibility would be a second-unit position, and given that's a step-down from being the director, and utilizes different skills (second-unit usually deals with mainly stunts, action bits, establishing shots, etc), I think it'd be a long shot. Traditionally second-unit directors are the sort who have a good eye for action and stunts, and at keeping control over large groups of people. On more than a few occasions, ex-stuntmen have become second-unit directors.

Assistant directors deal with logistics -- it's actually a very different sort of position than directing.

On a related note, it'll be interesting to see if JMS brings in Harlan (I assume he would).

Comment

Working...
                                X