No announcement yet.

Huge news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood's too expensive to shoot in? Hardly. Obviously speculation is rampant -- and WB may choose to shoot TMoS overseas... but when JMS was setting up the original series he scouted cheaper stages in the Valley, and there's no particular reason why that approach won't work again. If WB chooses to get behind the series a bit, there's also no reason why they wouldn't use their own stages. And, of course, JMS has always been a big union and local worker guy.

We'll see.

Of course finding a director is probably the single biggest factor, once the script is approved -- finding that guy who can bring a bigger "cinema" feel while working closely with JMS and making sure it stays B5. It'll also be interesting to see how many of the original production guys are able to come on board. (For comparison's sake, GENERATIONS kept one of the TNG episodic directors but brought in a famous feature DP... it looked a lot better, but the directing suffered from TV-ism).

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      Not London, Berlin. I'm away from my links and CDs right now but it's basically his own orchestra and he conducts it from his CA studio and does all the mixing himself. See the short special about his music on the S5 (I think) DVD set.

Jan
      Thank you for the correction, and for nipping my bad speculation in the bud. Need... *yawn*... sleep...
      Radhil Trebors
      Persona Under Construction

Comment

I hope that JMS will use Christopher Franke for TMOS. Hoping also that Chris would use the Berlin in its FULL capacity. That would be awesome!
        The Eagle stood erect on the Mountain watched the ships arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkingEagle
          I hope that JMS will use Christopher Franke for TMOS. Hoping also that Chris would use the Berlin in its FULL capacity. That would be awesome!
          I'd be astonished if JMS didn't use Chris Franke -- his music is such an integral part of B5 the universe wouldn't the same without (kinda like doing a Star Wars movie without John Williams).

I'm also not sure what Franke has been up to lately, but I can't imagine him not jumping at the chance to score a major feature film.

Comment

What orchestra did the score for the B5 series proper? Wasn't it London Philharmonic (forgive my spelling if I butchered it)?
            Not London, Berlin
            Well, and just to be completely clear on this, it's not the Berlin Philharmonic, but rather the Berlin Symphonic Film Orchestra, which are two very different animals.

Aisling

Comment

I love days like today.
              Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

Hollywood has gotten too expensive for a lot of people to shoot in. This has led to Australia becoming more popular, Mexico and Canada. This trend started a few years ago and has continued.
                "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

I'm quite familiar with the trend. However, there is a certain pro-industry attitude that some producers hold, and certainly efforts are being made to keep productions "in-house", if possible. (COLLATERAL was originally written to take place in New York, for example, but Mann felt strongly that it was an LA story that should be filmed on location and employ local crews).

There are obviously benefits to shooting overseas -- there are also benefits to staying local. We'll have to see which one outweighs the other.

Comment

Ok, the Hollywood bit...WB will shoot where it's cheapest and best, period.

We've all been through this many times over. Hollywood is very expensive to shoot in, period.

Believe what you will, but I seriously doubt WB will shoot in LA. The stages in Australia are the largest in the world, and the shooting cost there is a fraction of what LA would run.

When you're trying to get the biggest bang for your buck, you cut costs where you can in order to have more cash for the FX. This is common film practice.

As for Collatoral, that's apples and oranges. One film was a low budget thriller, the other is a big budget SF film. Two very different beasts.

As for Franke, he has used several different orchestras in his career, and has composed feature film scores before. This is another topic we've gone over in depth in other threads.

He will want a big orchestra feel and sound, so I would not be surprised if he goes to the London Philharmonic or Symphony for this score. The score here, like the director, has to be big and epic..not TV. That is not to say he will go to them...that is mere speculation at this point.

As for the Trek films taking TV crew...yes they did and it's one of the biggest blunders they made. TV ain't film. It might save some bucks though. However, Trek was still running when that move was made, B5 has been over for a number of years now.

That is not to say that JMS won't try to show his loyalty to his old crew, he is very loyal to them. However, both he and WB know what's riding on this, so hard decisions will be made. JMS will do what he can, but remember, this is also a feature film, not TV. TV is producer driven, while film is more director driven in most cases. Any feature director will have his say in crew, DP, etc. JMS will have to allow him or her to bring in their own people as well.

Trek, overall, works somewhat differently than most films and such...because...well, it's Trek. It has someone overseeing the entire franchise (even though he's an unimaginative moron with delusions of grandeur). B5 has not been around as long, and though JMS is more or less in the same position with B5 as Berman is with ST, B5 is not the almost independent cash cow ST is.

Trek got away with it because they had TV directors on the first three TNG films...so it was easy to bring in the TV crews. However, once Baird took the reigns of NEMESIS, he brought in his own people...things changed.

Telemachos, you seem to be of the opinion that I'm a stupid little fanboy. You're wrong. So far I've been pretty spot on with my predictions...as I weigh them in the light of my film knowledge and common sense...not fanboy desire.

I will always remind everyone that when I speak, I am speaking speculation from my own experience, knowledge and common sense, but that I am not speaking fact. I have and always will acknowledge when I'm wrong.

You live in Hollywood, so you have a unique perspective and perhaps are also in the biz in some capacity. If you have ideas or speculations, please tell us, but remember, it is still only speculation. If you have inside info, by all means share, but be prepared to back up your statements somehow.

Ultimately, the studio will do what the studio wishes...and we have no idea what that may turn out to be...at least until WB lets us know.

Just because WB shot B5 in LA (which they really didn't...was not the stage they shot on in Nevada or some such? Can someone confirm this?), does not follow that the film will shoot there as well. Again, apples and oranges, two horses of a different color.

CE
                    Last edited by colonyearth; 08-24-2004, 04:58 PM.
                    Anthony Flessas
                    Writer/Producer/Director,
                    SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

<<(kinda like doing a Star Wars movie without John Williams)>>

And boy is he losing it. I was very disappointed with the music for TPM. I thought at least the music would be good. Recycled Indy 3 music? Eh. And AOTC's score was very...uninspired.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I think the news on two possible series is huge. Doesn't anyone here want to see some JMS TV? B5 or not?
                        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                          I think the news on two possible series is huge. Doesn't anyone here want to see some JMS TV? B5 or not?
                          YES!!!!!!! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!

Please universe, give him the time to work his magic with it, too. I'm glad there seems no chance of Jeremiah being renewed, it would just hurt too much to see what someone else might do to it. Not that there aren't other good writer/producers, I just remember what JMS said about MGM being note-happy.

Jan
                          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
                            BTW, I see the London announcement as unrelated to the series, and related-to-what only JMS knows for sure and he ain't telling... yet (I suspect TMoS, maybe preproduction, but who knows)
                            These are JMSÆs quotes about his coming work in England. These do not sound like a short stay to talk to the composer of the music for TMoS.

From: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated Date: 6/15/2004 5:58:58 AM

On the Crusade DVDs, there's one commentary I did on the original pilot (once WB and I came to a meeting of minds, to wit, "I'm gonna say what happened to the show, what *really* happened...you got a problem with that?"). There's a second commentary track with Fiona, Janet, Peter Woodward and Carrie Dobro.

(We interrupt this message with a coded message for our friends in England and Australia: keep your eyes on the horizon.)

One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what TMoS was, and I provided a list of things it *wasn't*. The aforementioned oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.

Not knowing the area very well...if one were going to be spending a great deal of time in Hertfordshire, which is apparently near London (pity please on a geographically unenlightened American), would it be better to get a small flat in London for that time and commute, or get something in Hertfordshire itself?
                            How long is the trip? Or is there somewhere in-between that would be salutory?

jms

From: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated Date: 8/23/2004 7:06:26 PM

{snip}
                            Starting sometime in October, in an unrelated project, our friends in Britain can expect to see me hanging about on-and-off in the general vicinity of London. Just, y'know, workin', doin' stuff.
                            6/15 mentions a coded message and eyes. Sound enters through the ears.

7/1 mentions a great deal of time. It is difficult to rent a flat for less than a month and for a short stay a hotel is much less fuss. So we are talking of a stay of several months. This is sufficient time to produce a film or TV series.

8/23 gives a start date in October. If the first message is in code the third one probably is too. Assuming it has two meanings.
                            ôGeneral vicinity of Londonö that sounds like a police report.
                            London û home of BritainÆs TV and film industry, also a popular location to set shows. The Common Market runs an anti-Hollywood quota system, which the unions enforce. If the money is coming from a British TV station there will be strong pressure for the actors and crew to be British, even if it is expensive.
                            ôJust, y'know, workin', doin' stuff.ö This is a weird way of writing, JMS does not forget his ôgös. It could be an attempt to represent an accent. Upper class accents lose the ôhös which points towards a working class accent.

This feels like a cops and robbers story. The eye in the first message could be a private eye.
                            Andrew Swallow

Comment

Andrew...I really think you're overthinking and over-analyzing this.

JMS just said "off and on" he would be there. Clearly not a consistent stay.

Truth be told we have no idea why he'll be there...and we won't know until he lets us in on the secret.

CE

PS: More of a response to this can be found in your identical post at B5tv.
                              Last edited by colonyearth; 08-24-2004, 06:00 PM.
                              Anthony Flessas
                              Writer/Producer/Director,
                              SP Pictures

I have no avatar! I walk in mystery and need nothing to represent who and what I am!

Comment

Andrew, thanks for the quotes (which are good reminders - JMS _did_ say he was staying awhile, which puts things in a different light certainly), but I think you're definitely stretching too far with the rest of the stuff.

What makes "general vicinity of London" sound like police chatter? When I speak of going somewhere, if I'm going to be in the area, I might express it that same way, and I don't have a police background. I'm sure others say it, too.

And I can't believe that the word "eyes" in a previous message has _anything_ whatsoever to do with that!

As for this:

ôJust, y'know, workin', doin' stuff.ö This is a weird way of writing, JMS does not forget his ôgös. It could be an attempt to represent an accent. Upper class accents lose the ôhös which points towards a working class accent.
                                That's just silly! First off, JMS obviously didn't simply "forget" his "g"s in that phrase, because he substituted apostrophes for them. And I'm sure we've seen him type in colloquial form before. Haven't we?

I just don't think we can guess based on those clues. Sure, I think it's a longish-term stay, and looks like it might be for a series of some sort, but I really don't think that those statements were meant to contain clues about the nature of the project.

We've all obviously been waiting WAY too long for some substantive news! :-)

Aisling

Comment

Working...
                                X