April's announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lotjx View Post
    I don't think it would be to hard to get those actors. Kim is on a TV show that may last another year or so.
    Ha! The Hawaii Five-0 remake's popular. It'll last longer than that. Note that I didn't say it was good, just popular. Waiting for the H50 remake to croak is almost like waiting for American Idol to croak.

Cole just pops into movies and I can't see them taking that much of his time. Its not like the movies he has been, he has had the lead. Its probably easier to get Cole unless he hated working on the show which is a different problem.
    Cole's signed on to a pilot.

Personally, the mini-series is the best way to get Crusade to finish up since a series is just not going to happen.
    Still too short a form, but not as bad a choice as 1 movie. Still, they called the Battlestar Galactica (2003) opener a "miniseries" and that was only 3 hours of actual footage, 4 hours with commercials.
    Mac Breck (KoshN)
    ------------------
    Warner Brothers is Lucy.
    JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
    Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I don't have any opinion on what or whom; I'm fine with JMS doing what he wants as long as it's budgeted as he requires. That said, to a couple of the above posts:

Daniel Dae Kim lives in Hawaii full time. After two successful series, it would probably take quite a bit of money to get him back to LA (or possibly Vancouver).

From what I read in the "Crusade: Behind the Scenes" interviews, I didn't get the impression that Gary Cole was much liked by cast/crew back then. Whether the events of the season-ender script would have ended up as a trap door for his character, we may eventually find out in future "Crusade: What the Hell Happened?" books. Or we may not.

As for story ideas, again, it's a matter of detail and degree of newness. For instance, we already know that Dureena carries many concealed weapons so speculating that somewhere in her costume is where she'd carry the sword she was supposed to find during the first season is no story idea. If we were to speculate that she kept a pet purple penguin in her bodice and had to feed him blueberries hourly, that would would be a story idea because we never had any idea that she liked purple penguins, owned a purple penguin or even had room for one in her bodice. Much less where she'd find that many blueberries on a starship.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Great. Now I have to cut the purple penguin chapter out of Crusade: What the Hell Happened?.

You see? This is what happens when people bandy about story ideas in a public forum. Now you'll never know about Dureena's purple penguin, it's eating habits, or what it's like to live among Zanderian bossoms.

Is Dureena "Zanderian?" What does one call a native of Zander Prime?

Comment

Look on the bright side, Jason. Think of the damage to the books if I'd mentioned the platypus!

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
            I don't have any opinion on what or whom; I'm fine with JMS doing what he wants as long as it's budgeted as he requires. That said, to a couple of the above posts:

Daniel Dae Kim lives in Hawaii full time. After two successful series, it would probably take quite a bit of money to get him back to LA (or possibly Vancouver).
            Not a problem. When I win the Powerball or Megamillions jackpot (ROFLMAO!), I'll pay them all a signing bonus.

From what I read in the "Crusade: Behind the Scenes" interviews, I didn't get the impression that Gary Cole was much liked by cast/crew back then.
            Wasn't that Janet Greek but nobody else? I stopped reading part way through that book. In fact, I got away from reading almost entirely, because I've been concentrating on some database work, a LOT of database work. I am at page 90 of 360 in "Crusade - Behind the Scenes," page 29 of 402 in "Crusade - What the Hell Happened Vol. 1," and page 312 of 545 in The Dresden Files "Small Favor" (Book #10 of the series). I stopped reading "Small Favor" sooo long ago that I'll probably have to start that book again from the beginning. <rolleyes> Five days a week, I work like a dog, and on my two days off, I watch DVDs. Right now, I'm watching CSI from the beginning in marathon sessions, and am on Season 7 Episode 15.

There's just not enough time in the day.

Whether the events of the season-ender script would have ended up as a trap door for his character, we may eventually find out in future "Crusade: What the Hell Happened?" books. Or we may not.
            I think (I ***HOPE***) it was a trapdoor that would've NEVER been used. Initially, I wasn't terribly happy that Gary Cole was cast as Capt. Gideon, but once I saw all 13 Crusade episodes I very much liked him in the role. In fact, I can't imagine anybody else in the role, including Michael York. IMHO, we dodged a bullet there.
            Last edited by KoshN; 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM. Reason: /
            Mac Breck (KoshN)
            ------------------
            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Whether the events of the season-ender script would have ended up as a trap door for his character, we may eventually find out in future "Crusade: What the Hell Happened?" books. Or we may not.
              I thought I had read somewhere that Gideon would be killed in season one but then revived within the Apocalypse Box in season two. The trap door was in case he didn't like how much money Sci-Fi or whoever picked up the show from TNT would be willing to pay him. I think I read both of those comments in the same interview.

Comment

Originally posted by KoshN View Post
                No, the original cast could do it perfectly fine. The trouble would be getting Daniel Dae Kim and Gary Cole.

....not that there's the slightest chance of that becoming a real problem, of course.
                In an ideal world I would like to see every actor from Crusade return.

I just thought that in all likelihood whoever backed Crusade to be rebooted/continued they are going to want a younger cast. This would probably smooth potential negotiations and give JMS a fresh starting-point. Out of the original cast I would suspect the only real actor/character really worth fighting for would be Peter Woodward /Galen.

Comment

Dureena is worth fighting for. I know in the PSI Corp book they give a hint about how Crusade is supposed to end. I find it funny if not very karmatic if they had to replace Gideon. That would be two times that a B5 show had to change captains from season 1 to 2. Just by watching the show, you can see Cole was sometimes uncomfortable with the role. I am curious to see how they would have brought in to replace him, Lochley, Ivanova, Sheridan or maybe G'Kar.

Comment

Nothing much to add here, just a quick note to say...thank the gods for this place! I'm totally missing the newsgroup, and so it's been nice to pop in here the past few days just reading and seeing what people have been talking about.

And now for some real content: I'd hate to see a B5 reboot with a younger cast. Too soon. Trek waited forty years after the first show ended to reboot with a younger cast. It's one thing with the actors who are alive; it might be kind of entertaining to see who they'd choose in place of some of them. But — and yes, this is predictable coming from me — I for one am not ready to see someone take Andreas's place yet. Or, really, ever. Since JMS has said as much himself, I doubt if we'll ever see a reboot with a younger cast.

Edited to add: wow, that's funny. When I clicked "reply" to this thread, it showed me what I thought were the last few posts, so I replied to one of those — the suggestion of a reboot — but now I see it's nowhere on this page. It's back on page two. So, if anyone is wondering, this was a reply to lotjx from a post on the last day of February!
                    Last edited by AmyG; 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I clearly remember JMS saying that nobody would ever replace G'Kar/Andreas but I don't remember him saying the show would never be rebooted. I'm sure he'd go for people a proper age for their parts, though.

I don't remember the exact wording but I recall JMS commenting in one of the script books that if suddenly there were a mystical event that turned all characters into young people, the execs of all of the studios would spontaneously combust from joy.

Nice to see you posting again, Amy.

Jan

Comment

I clearly remember JMS saying that nobody would ever replace G'Kar/Andreas but I don't remember him saying the show would never be rebooted.
                        Hrm, this almost makes it an issue of syntax, and technicality. I mean, if no one else will ever play G'Kar, doesn't that mean no one else will ever play G'Kar? Or just that no one else will play G'Kar in the show's current incarnation?

Has no one ever asked Joe about a reboot at any con or online? I guess maybe it's always been a little too early to even think of that. (Still feels too early from where I'm sitting!)

Comment

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
                          Hrm, this almost makes it an issue of syntax, and technicality. I mean, if no one else will ever play G'Kar, doesn't that mean no one else will ever play G'Kar? Or just that no one else will play G'Kar in the show's current incarnation?
                          Good question. I certainly can't imagine Londo without G'Kar to play off of but I guess we'll have to wait until (and if, of course) the show gets rebooted.

Has no one ever asked Joe about a reboot at any con or online? I guess maybe it's always been a little too early to even think of that. (Still feels too early from where I'm sitting!)
                          Well, I haven't been to *every* con JMS has appeared at, even in recent years since I started traveling around to them . But it's not something I remember being asked at cons and I don't see anything from a very quick search of the archives.

Jan

Comment

It would be very difficult to reboot Babylon 5 since its about the story. Trek is mainly about the people who do their job in space that stuff happens to. Babylon 5 has a beginning, middle and end, it would be hard to just throw a young cast and keep the show going since a good chunk of the fans know the story. Star Wars is stuck in the same dilemma where it would almost impossible to reboot it and the outcry woud huge. Plus, we all know the story, so there is not going to be a lot of excitiment about it. Thus, not too many people will watch and those who do will point out the errors. V is a prime example of everyone knowing the story thus there is no reason to watch it and hence the cancelation. And if you saw their finale, it seemed the writers knew that and gave the finger to the fans this week.

The Trek outcry was bad, very bad. The creators realized this and didn't wipe the Trek history. They also had the Nimoy in the film to ease the fanboys down as well as get the younger actors in touch with the older ones for the ok which the older crew was more then happy to do minus Shatner. They also did a story that was never shown before with the crew coming together. Battlestar was in the same boat. Yeah, people know they were searching for Earth, but no one ever saw them get to Earth. It also helped Battlestar was viewed as Star Wars rip-off even in the sci-fi community. Its almost better to take something that is damaged goods and rebuild it then to take a popular franchise and re-arrange it. To be fair, Trek was almost dead after Voyager and Enterprise being failures, so a fresh start was needed.

If you reboot B5 now, you would have to go either two ways, one is like what Star Trek did ie have a cosmic event that causes an alternate universe yet keeps the old one intact or wipe the old one off the face of the map and change the entire premise from the story of the Third Age to random stuff happens to these people and maybe hint at the Shadows or create a new threat will last for 5 years instead of 3 1/4.
                            Last edited by lotjx; 03-17-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

The Trek outcry was bad, very bad.
                              Funny, everyone I know (aside from a couple of what I call "continuity fetishists" online) who loved the original Star Trek loved the reboot, including my mother, who normally HATES Science-Fiction. This is probably why it grossed more money than any other Trek movie.

Of course, I was one of those people who had to go around explaining to others that no, NuTrek did NOT "wipe out" old Trek, since the show had already established that many similar universes can and do exist in parallell.

So I do have a biased perspective.
                              "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Prior to its release it was not held in high standard. It made good money for a variety of reasons and one of those reasons was it did not throw away 40 years of continuity down the train as well as had a lot of easter eggs for the older fans. If they would have said this how the crew came together deal with it then you would see more fan backlash. It was also a good fun ride and that is something Trek has been missing for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X