April's announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could..

...There's plenty to play with in the B5 universe, to make a series, maybe focusing on the Interstellar alliance? (forgotten the actual name of it)/Earth Alliance? Focusing on the rangers again? Going back to the Vorlons, etc, just some suggestions, even if another Babylon is not built that doesn't mean there was life existing beyond it...

Comment

***correction, that does NOT mean there was no life existing beyond the B5 station!..lol..

Comment

I think after much of the fail Legends of the Rangers was that any Rangers or ISA show probably won't be in the works. I did think its silly to get worked up over whether or not JMS will pop up and "steal' our ideas considering the ideas we are discussing all come from him anyway. Plus, there isn't much to discuss in B5 without discussiong possible story ideas or past story ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by lotjx View Post
          I did think its silly to get worked up over whether or not JMS will pop up and "steal' our ideas considering the ideas we are discussing all come from him anyway. Plus, there isn't much to discuss in B5 without discussiong possible story ideas or past story ideas.
          You misunderstand. There's no worry that JMS would steal anything and nobody here has ever said anything of the sort. It was simply decided, since JMS has an open invitation, that story ideas wouldn't be posted here. The risk would be to him, not to anybody here.

There's a difference between posting something you'd like to see in broad terms, such as the Dilgar or Telepath wars, and actual story ideas. The former are welcome, the latter aren't. I can post the link to the explanation of what constitutes a story idea again if you're interested (since I don't remember if it was in this thread or another at the moment).

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

The problem is when you get into detail and fine strokes.
            RIP Coach Larry Finch
            Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
            Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

I did think its silly to get worked up over whether or not JMS will pop up and "steal' our ideas considering the ideas we are discussing all come from him anyway. Plus, there isn't much to discuss in B5 without discussiong possible story ideas or past story ideas.
              The problem isn't that JMS will steal ideas, but that if story ideas are posted, he will be forced to stay away even if he decides someday that he'd like to post in or read this forum. Story ideas are a problem for someone like JMS because they can get him into the situation where a forum member sues him for "stealing" an idea, even if JMS was planning to do that story all along. For professional writers, that is a real and justified fear.
              Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

I suspect that there is another war in the 2 or 3 years leading up to the end of Babylon 5. Sheridan and Delenn swap jobs. Why put a military man in charge of the Rangers unless they are going to fight a war?
                Andrew Swallow

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                  Story ideas are a problem for someone like JMS because they can get him into the situation where a forum member sues him for "stealing" an idea, even if JMS was planning to do that story all along. For professional writers, that is a real and justified fear.
                  Very real ... the issue nearly cost us one of season 3's best episodes, Passing Through Gethsemane.
                  The Optimist: The glass is half full
                  The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                  The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

These same guidelines are in place for forums that discuss Star Trek books, for the same reasons. Just in case anybody was wondering.
                    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid." -- Quantum Crook, Casey and Andy Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Doom Shepherd View Post
                      These same guidelines are in place for forums that discuss Star Trek books, for the same reasons. Just in case anybody was wondering.
                      It looks like screenwriters and producers are not the only ones who are concerned about this issue.

http://pinnaclefoods.com/Contact+Us

... Although we love to hear your comments and encourage you to give us feedback about our products, please understand that we cannot accept suggestions for new products, advertising, promotions, etc. from anyone outside our company. This policy is necessary to prevent misunderstandings as to the origins of ideas.
                      Last edited by Dan Dassow; 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Legend of the Rangers would have been the easiest story to tell dealing with the ISA. Crusade is more of an Earth based story and I do think at least one of the arcs if it had gone on would have been a showdown with the ISA at some point either through Garibaldi, Delenn or Sheridan. We do know they were planning on the Bester/Garibaldi story going through Crusade with maybe Michael has an antagonist to seem degree. Even the opening with the Drazi getting in Gideon's face showed me that they were planting seeds for something down the road for the Excalibur crew to go against the White Star fleet.

Rangers would have shown us where the ISA was I think ten years into the future. Its just a shame that there was so many problems with the movie that Syfy bailed on it. How you screw up a show about the Rangers is beyond me? If you were to do another B5 show you can go a variety of different ways.

1. You can reboot the series with a younger cast something JMS wanted to do with Trek which did work. However, unlike original series Star Trek, B5 has a strong story and once you tell that story its hard to retell it again and still be surprised. It also helped Star Trek told a story that was not told on screen ie how Kirk got the Enterprise.

2. You can hire Tracy back as well as Stephen back and do the show about the station. People can guest star and they can work on Vir fighting the Drahk on Centauri Prime as well as maybe finishing Crusade. Or you hire Tracy back for one episode, kill her and give the command to someone else. It also explains why she was not at the table during Sleeping in Light.

4. You do a few Mini Series like Torchwood: Children of Earth like the Telepath War, the Drahk War, Marcus coming back and so on. Hopefully you won't need to puke and take a shower or do both at the same time like Children of Earth. It cuts cost and makes it less of a risk. Farscape: Peace Keeper's War did great ratings for Syfy.

5. You do the first Shadow War. Get Sinclair, Zathras and Kosh back. Get Peter to play the first Mollari Emperor. To bad, Andreas is gone, he would be a great G'Quan. Sadly, without any humans, it probably won't do well.

Personally, I think the mini-series is the best way to go. Its easier to get produce due to less cost and most of the B5 stories we want to see like the Telepath War and Crusade can be done in a few nights. I do think we should not get our hopes up since for all we know, it might be something very small.

option 1. I hope it's not a reboot with a younger cast playing all our favourite characters. Personally I want see more stories with the original cast or a new TV series with a new cast telling news stories.

Option 2. That sounds fine but why not reboot Crusade? Galen could probably still be played by Peter Woodward but have the rest of the cast replaced by new younger actors. JMS could use the things he liked and improve the things he didn't and tell the five-year story he planned.

Option 4. I like the mini-series idea telling lots of different self contained stories. They could be short like three hours or maybe as long as half a season depending on the material?

Option 5. Why can't there be humans that no one knew were aboard Babylon 4? people who were thought evacuated but weren't or cheap non-union labour that weren't supposed to be there, or saboteurs about to blow up the station that travel back in time with Valen.

I agree about not getting hopes up too high and while I would be content with more Lost Tales, I think it's going to be either an new series or a big damn movie

Comment

I wouldn't watch a B5 remake/reboot, nor would I support it. I would go out of my way to tell my friends not to watch it, to the point that I would let them borrow my B5 DVDs a season at a time, or drive them to a store in town that has them all for a reasonable price in great condition.
                          RIP Coach Larry Finch
                          Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
                          Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

Originally posted by valens_shadow View Post

Option 2. That sounds fine but why not reboot Crusade? Galen could probably still be played by Peter Woodward but have the rest of the cast replaced by new younger actors.
                            No, the original cast could do it perfectly fine. The trouble would be getting Daniel Dae Kim and Gary Cole.

....not that there's the slightest chance of that becoming a real problem, of course.
                            Mac Breck (KoshN)
                            ------------------
                            Warner Brothers is Lucy.
                            JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
                            Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

I don't think it would be to hard to get those actors. Kim is on a TV show that may last another year or so. Cole just pops into movies and I can't see them taking that much of his time. Its not like the movies he has been, he has had the lead. Its probably easier to get Cole unless he hated working on the show which is a different problem. Personally, the mini-series is the best way to get Crusade to finish up since a series is just not going to happen.

Comment

I agree entirely with the 'no story-lines' ethic that is in place here. I am sure that no one would like to see any theoretically possible BABYLON 5 get jammed up purely down to red tape!

But there is a problem that is always going to be difficult to overcome in situations like this.

When you have a dedicated and active fan-base such as with B5, there is always going to be speculation about stories...and if a close knit community like this one thinks about it for long enough, someone will come up with the same idea as the original writer eventually.

I have had it happen to me myself, personally, on at least three occasions...I have spoilered them just in case they have not already been seen by readers here.

Once with BATMAN - a new bat-cowl design

to allow BM to turn his head...I still have the drawings I did all those years before even "...Begins" was announced.

Once with Austin Powers

where Scott ends up as the new Master Criminal.

And once with Romero-style zombies - where

both Shaun of the Dead and then leter on, The Walking Dead posited the idea that you can use Zombie juice to act as camouflage from other zombies, to stop you being eaten by them.
                                Last edited by DGTWoodward; 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM.
                                http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
                                Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
                                47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Working...
                                X