X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by JasonDavis View Post
    Warner Bros. follows a business model devised by the Shadows.
    That does explain a lot...

Jan

Leave a comment:

• JasonDavis
    replied
    Warner Bros. follows a business model devised by the Shadows.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Last I heard, Warner Home Writing Instruments wasn't talking to Warner Clothing and Cap Accessories and neither of them were willing to deal with Warner Home Video so they don't even know about Babylon 5.

Jan

PS: I still don't think JMS ventures past the archive pages and that, very seldom.
    It appears to this outside observer that each component of Times Warner prefers to denigrate another component rather than compete with other companies. Their actions seem to be driven by the philosophy that all of nothing is better than half of something. Their collective business practices do not lead to a zero sum game but to a negative sum game.

Originally posted by AmyG View Post
    Bwah-hahaha! Post of the Day goes to Jan, definitely. :-D
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    Bwah-hahaha! Post of the Day goes to Jan, definitely. :-D

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Last I heard, Warner Home Writing Instruments wasn't talking to Warner Clothing and Cap Accessories and neither of them were willing to deal with Warner Home Video so they don't even know about Babylon 5.

Jan

PS: I still don't think JMS ventures past the archive pages and that, very seldom.

Leave a comment:

• I, Zathras
    replied
    Ha, lotjx has got me thinking, and I've just got this mental image of all of us wanting a movie or a new series, and we end up getting a pin badge and pen set!

I'll bet JMS is sat there reading all of this and laughing as he hatches something that we've never even thought of!

Just to touch on a couple of points raised earlier (I haven't been on this thread for a while): I agree that they could use technology to recreate some actors to a degree, but you lose the magic when you do that. It's taking the way I feel about too much CGI in a movie and turning up to 11 as you'd lose all the little nuances and the actors personality.

I really liked Gary Cole as Gideon, but the rumours don't seem to paint him in a good light. From my point of view as a viewer though, I really liked him in the role, his expressions and quips were excellent.

I personally don't think they should reboot B5 but instead look to another era in the time line. There's plenty of scope and plenty of characters with those we've seen, but the universe itself is much wider and I'm sure has more eclectic character out there waiting to be discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dassow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    I dunno...given the criteria that JMS set - sufficient budget and complete creative control, whatever it ends up being, if it turns out to be anything. will probably meet the definition of 'major'. Will it be what each of may be hoping for? Only time will tell. Of necessity, some of us won't care for whatever it ends up to be.

Jan
    If the announcement does occur in April, we will only have to wait a maximum of 38 more days (39 if you count today).
    Only 117 shopping days until 17 July 2011.
    Last edited by Dan Dassow; 03-22-2011, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I dunno...given the criteria that JMS set - sufficient budget and complete creative control, whatever it ends up being, if it turns out to be anything. will probably meet the definition of 'major'. Will it be what each of may be hoping for? Only time will tell. Of necessity, some of us won't care for whatever it ends up to be.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Marsden
    replied
    I just had a bad thought.

How do you keep a moron in suspense? I'll tell you in April.

I don't think JMS would do that on purpose, but it's not going to be as "major" as most of us hope. Our "major" and his "major" may be two completely different things.

I'm sorry if this is a grumpy post, I seem to be the JMS forum Grumpy Bear.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Raiden
    replied
    ....But still its ANYBODY'S GUESS what will be announced, in MERE WEEKS from now, seeing as we are in late march already.....

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    What one has to remember is that JMS never wanted to do a series about the Drakh Plague which is why it would only have lasted approximately long enough for TNT to (hopefully) lose interest in the notes process. Sadly, instead they decided they wanted out completely.

We don't know anything, really, about the false cure that would be found so we don't know if Franklin would know it was Shadow based or not. I doubt it would be made that obvious. This is a case where we as the audience know more than the characters do.

And from what we've seen, it would probably have been a combination of Excalibur vs the black ops division of Earthforce (which we've been encountering since "Infection" when Earthforce Bio-Weapons division made Sinclair turn the alien artifacts over to them) and the ISA. Even though Sheridan ought to be the first to understand Gideon's obsession with finding out what happened to his ship, he's now the president of the ISA and doesn't have the latitude he once had as a Captain.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• lotjx
    replied
    Part of my post was if we didn't get Sleeping in Light in season 4. I don't know about Crusade moving in that direction. The idea of renagade ship of playing cat and mouse for at last one season would bore me. I loathed Voyager and this sorta sounds like it was going to end up being to some degree. I did read the season 1 finale and thought it was some what forced Gideon being pissed off at Galen. Yet, it would be a nice cliffhanger ending.

We also have to remember that Cole might not have come back in season 2 if there was a seaosn 2. That might have changed things as well. Assassinating Gideon would have caused more problems for EarthGov then anything, I just never thought a group who would do that would survive for long. It reeks of desperation and I doubt the same desperate group would be around when they found a cure. I also doubt Franklin would go along with a cure that was made by the Shadows. A lot of plot problems with that. If they said they found the cure in year 3 or 4 and were constantly harrassed by the Drahk or others during the fifth year then I could see it playing well. Plus, I like the idea of the ISA vs. Excaliber instead of Earth vs. Excaliber. Earth was already the villian for three years, no need to retread that storyline again.

Leave a comment:

• valens_shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by lotjx View Post

Crusade was doomed from the start and as much as I want to see it back, we already now the ending. I do wish they would have chosen the tecnomage trilogy to wrap up Crusade if it wasn't already close to being done or already done. Technomage trilogy is about one book more then it needed to be anyway. I also doubt Crusade was going to be better then B5 for a lot of reasons.

The Doctor and Jan are annoying. While I like Jan more then the Doctor, I would have been cool with those two dying instead of Walsh and Shepard. I don't understand why you kill a character like Shepard whose backstory makes it more feesible for the characters to know things about the Alliance then anyone else including River. Walsh was just a fun character and once you kill the fun character then the show becomes sad and depressing. As much as I love red heads, I would have been ok to with the engineering dying as well. Hell, anyone on the cast would have been fair game expect Mal, River and those two. I know people who saw people walk out of the theater after Wash died. I just don't see how a fanbase like that could recover when you piss off a good chunk of it. Imagine if B5 was cancled in season 4 and we never go Sleeping in the Light. Yet, we get a movie where Garibaldi gets killed in the middle of the film by Bester, Franklin and/or Susan die at the end in some random way. Do you think we get a follow-up series or would want a follow-up series? Probably not.
    You find Jayne annoying? He's one of my favourite characters and I was disappointed he didn't have a bigger role in the movie. I do agree if I had to choose one character to die I would choose the doctor. Shepherd Book definitely had a fascinating air of mystery about him and it's hugely disappointing the way he was just killed off. Still the main characters and my favourite characters are still alive and well.

And let's do keep the conversation mainly on B5 rather than other shows. We can always discuss the others in the OT forum.
    sorry didn't see this comment.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Not to keep veering off topic with discussions of other shows, who'd Jan on Firefly?? I'd think I'd remember a character with my own name!

ETA: OH! You mean Jayne?

And technically, even if B5 were cancelled at the end of Season 4, we still would have gotten Sleeping in Light because it was filmed as part of season 4, not season 5.

And let's do keep the conversation mainly on B5 rather than other shows. We can always discuss the others in the OT forum.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• valens_shadow
    replied
    I found this in 2006

An interesting post on the TrekBBS forums re: Crusade's future direction had the series continued;

There really aren't a lot of specifics available, but here's the gist of it, derived from two of the unproduced scripts and some JMS postings:

Near the end of Season One, Gideon has another encounter with the mystery ship that destroyed the Cerberus and killed every crew member except for him. Among other things, he discovers that the effect of its main weapon is virtually identical to that of the Excalibur's main gun.

While the mystery ship escapes, Excalibur's crew discovers a unique energy signature that would make it possible for them to locate and follow the ship in the future.

In the S1 cliffhanger, they would find the ship again, this time following it to a secret base. Gideon and Galen infiltrate the facility. Gideon is captured, and brought to the base commander -- an EarthForce officer in charge of a covert project intended to adapt and exploit Shadow technology. The ship that destroyed the Cerberus was an early experiment that "escaped." The human CPU went mad, hence the attack.

Meanwhile, Galen makes his way deeper into the site, and discovers its ultimate secret: an area where humans are being used as "hosts" to grow Technomage-like implants. Galen destroys the area, killing the doomed "hosts" in the process.

After the pair escape, they have a major falling-out. Gideon is shocked to discover that Galen's tech was provided by the Shadows (per the Technomage novels by Jeanne Cavelos), and is angry at how much possibly vital information Galen has withheld from him to protect that secret. Galen leaves the Excalibur.

Gideon organizes a meeting of those w**king on the cure, to be held on Mars. At the meeting, he intends to present evidence of what he found at the secret base. He intends to go alone, so that he's the only one who can be accused of treason for revealing the secret, but Matherson, Dureena, and Max all join him. (Chambers may be there, too, and perhaps one or two others from the crew.)

As Gideon approaches the building where the meeting is to take place, we become aware that Galen is also on Mars, watching from a distance...and that he has discovered that an assassin is lying in wait for Gideon. Before Galen can sound a warning, the assassin fires, and we see Gideon fall to the ground -- fade to black.

JMS has indicated that the cure would have been discovered in Season Two. At some point, the Excalibur crew would realize that the cure was not exactly what it appeared. No one in EarthGov would believe them, however. Gideon and company would "steal" their ship and "go renegade," hunted by both EarthGov and other forces in an attempt to find out what is really going on. That was pretty much as far as he went in describing the future of the show. What follows is speculation, and very limited speculation, at that:

We know the plague comes originally from the Shadows. We know that a similar plague was created by a Technomage using nanotech, and that the Drakh plague seems to use some of the same techniques. We also know that both EarthGov and the Technomages have some knowledge of Shadow-based nanotech.

Finally, we know (from the Technomage novels) that *all* Shadowtech has the quality of predisposing the user towards chaos. If the "cure" is an application of Shadow-derived nanotech, there is a good chance that it will retain this quality -- creating almost as many problems as the original plague would have.

Since this is only a possibility, however, and since there would be unimaginable ethical and political pressure to use any cure as soon as it was discovered, it is entirely plausible that EarthGov would ignore Gideon's warnings, and use the cure. The argument against using it would come from a maverick captain who had at least tried to reveal top-secret information, and a technomage who was inherently suspect.

It is interesting to note that B5 really got the Shadow arc rolling only in S2. Prior to that, much of the emphasis had been on Sinclair's missing 24 hours and the Minbari surrender, although the mysterious Shadow ships and the notion of an ancient enemy were introduced starting around mid-season.

The original outline for B5 had called for these threads to be resolved by the fourth of fifth episode of S2, with the Shadow War then dominating until early S4. Similarly, Crusade S1 would have been about finding a cure for the Drakh plague, although the Shadow-tech thread would also have been introduced. Early in S2, the plague story would probably have been ended, and the new thread begun. (The plague story was never sustainable over five years, anyway. We all knew the plague was cured.) I'm not sure where the story would have gone after that. But I can make a couple of guesses on specific points:

1) The Interstellar Alliance, especially John Sheridan, would have been more open to Gideon's ideas than EarthGov, and would likely have provided some covert assistance to Excalibur.

2) Elizabeth Lochley -- who was spared the hard choice of acting against her government and orders because she was never told to bomb civilians or commit any other obviously criminal act -- would now have to make that choice after all. I suspect that she would throw her lot in with Gideon.

The Excalibur couldn't have docked at B5 without instantly being seized, but I'm willing to bet Gideon and others could have come aboard on shuttles, and used the place for meetings and to pick up supplies.

Anyway, that's what little we know from the last several years, and what I can guess about the future direction of the series.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X