Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotted JMS on documentary

Hey, I thought this was kinda cool.

I was watching a documentary on the Travel Channel (yes, the TRAVEL channel. Can you believe it?). The subject was New York City in comic books. It had tons of interviews with really classic now-iconical comic artists, writers, and creators. One really cool segment was an interview with Joe Simon, who co-created Captain America with Jack "King" Kirby. He discussed how he and Kirby targeted the Nazis as bad guys in the Captain America comics. This was before America entered the war, and there was a big Nazi presence in the states at that time. This group was not amused, and they caused a lot of problems for Marvel (back then, known as Timely Comics). Mr. Kirby discussed this event with me personally at a San Diego Comic Con some years back. He said, "these were tough guys." Say it like Leo Gorcey from the Dead End Kids/Bowery Boys....that's what the King's accent was like.

Anyways, there was a big segment on the 500th issue of Amazing Spider-Man, and they were filming the release of the book at one of NYC's biggest comic shops. The Spider-Man staff was there signing autographs, and lo and behold! There's ole JMS himself, with his ever-present water bottle! It showed the autograph table briefly during the discussion, and I didn't think to look for JMS......but I immediately remembered he was writing the book, so I payed close attention for any other shots. It wasn't in vain, a minute or so later they showed the table again with a clear shot of JMS talking with a fan. I wonder how many fans actually knew who they were seeing?

So I start a thread about comic books AND jms......am I a GEEK or what?
    "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

I dislike Spider-Man. Always have. Now if JMS could do one of the Batman comics...
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

I lost interest in new comics in the mid to late 90's, so I never read any of the JMS Spider-man books.......I'm more of a Silver Age buff myself. But if he delivers the same quality stuff he does for his TV work, it has to be pretty darn good.
      "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

There's already a thread going in the Comics section here.

I was somewhat miffed that they spotlighted both the Black Issue and the 500th issue and never once mentioned JMS' name.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Jan,

My thoughts EXACTLY! I can't believe they didn't even once mention his name or anything to his credit! I guess that's a sure sign that the filmmakers were NOT fans of the genre, real fans woud've been ALL OVER jms.

Is there a thread in the comics forums about this documentary I saw? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place....but I really don't read comics that much any more so I haven't been browsing anything but the B5 threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
            I lost interest in new comics in the mid to late 90's, so I never read any of the JMS Spider-man books.......I'm more of a Silver Age buff myself. But if he delivers the same quality stuff he does for his TV work, it has to be pretty darn good.
            It is. His Midnight Nation was really great. I hadn't realized that emotion like that could be evoked in a comic. Supreme Power has been great too. I'm just caught up on the Spidey issues and got hooked on that. Next I have to reread the Rising Stars back issues in preparation for the last issues to come out starting in (I think) October.

Why, yes, I do make it a point to read/watch everything JMS puts out! How could you tell?

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
              Jan,

My thoughts EXACTLY! I can't believe they didn't even once mention his name or anything to his credit! I guess that's a sure sign that the filmmakers were NOT fans of the genre, real fans woud've been ALL OVER jms.
              The only excuse I could come up with was that JMS isn't a New Yorker? But hey, he sure has the attitude down! <g>

Is there a thread in the comics forums about this documentary I saw? Sorry if I posted in the wrong place....but I really don't read comics that much any more so I haven't been browsing anything but the B5 threads.
              I think the thread name is the same as the documentary name.

Jan

Comment

Hmm... Spotted JMS on Documentary

Is that related to the documentaries on the Spotted Owls?

[Ducks and runs]

"That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

You know, after I posted the thread I noticed that the title was just BEGGING for someone to take a shot at it......

Or some of the British folks may take issue with me referring to jms as "spotty"......

Comment

Or some of the British folks may take issue with me referring to jms as "spotty"......
                    Hmm... Spotted JMS on documentary...Spotted Dick on dessert table. </Brit food reference>

:-)

Aisling

Comment

No, no, no. Spotted Andreas on TV series. Bald JMS on documentary. This... is wrong tool.

--- Zathras

Joseph DeMartino
                      Sigh Corps
                      Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Working...
                      X