Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this be the way to go for future B5 episodes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with that, because the same was true of The Lost Tales and I thought those were spectacular (if too philosophical for some people).
    True, and it did look a lot better, but there was an important behind the scene difference that I can't mention . . . . . . It's OK if you don't believe that, but that site with the interviews only contained about 60-70 percent (why can't I type in a bloody percentage sign!?) of what was discussed with the various contributors.

I thought Crusades production values were pretty good on the whole. The one exception to that was the CGI, it ranged from truly stunning, through not bad to WTF!! Long before coming on the web, as a viewer, I noticed a pretty dramatic change during season 4 of B5 and it became more obvious by the time you get to season 5 and crusade. Silly slips and errors that didn't need to be there - as you say 'sloppy'.

If you read from page 8 of Josh's interview you might get an idea of part of the reason for that. For me it probably highlights the biggest loss to the show when Netter pushed FI out the airlock. Producers should not have *complete* control over an artisitc department. Their training, instincts, experience, decisions and priorities ultimately revolve around budgets.
    http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scro...m#Screen1_11_8

I actually quite liked LoTR, as a complete package.
    The one I disliked the most (or liked the least) was always River of Souls.
    Last edited by Triple F; 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM.

Comment

I actually thought River Of Souls would have made a cracking episode of the show ... in movie form it was just too long and too slow for me. The central idea I really liked, and the conflict at the centre between the Hunters, the transcended race and the archeologist was a solid one. Just not enough meat for an hour and a half though.

As for everything else, I think the "JMS explanations" thing comes down to one very important point. More than anything in the world, he is a story-teller. When someone asks him to explain something he will invariably answer as a story-teller. So ...

In reality, the Liandra didn't have a beam weapon but a pulse weapon because it was felt to be confusing to the audience and was changed.

In JMS' mind, the story needs a reason for that change to be made, hence thereafter it was a small ship with too little power ... and, for him, that becomes THE reason because it is the story reason that is important to JMS and not the practical reason.

Mention of the B5 magazine always reminds me why I end up shaking my head at this whole "Everything is about JMS" stuff. The mag was stuffed with articles, pictures, interviews with those behind the scenes from costumes to FX to set-dressers etc. etc. and actually very little JMS beyond his "Last Word" column ... which very often talked about those very other people anyway.

Online is certainly a different story, but I honestly believe that if B5 was being made now, rather than in the mid-90s when the internet as we know it was in its infancy, it would reflect those other contributors much more fully.
      The Optimist: The glass is half full
      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
        Mention of the B5 magazine always reminds me why I end up shaking my head at this whole "Everything is about JMS" stuff. The mag was stuffed with articles, pictures, interviews with those behind the scenes from costumes to FX to set-dressers etc. etc. and actually very little JMS beyond his "Last Word" column ... which very often talked about those very other people anyway.
        Very true. Much of what was quoted from JMS in the magazines were simply taken from his online posts.

One of my favorite people from back when AOL had JMS and a few other B5 folks in the B5 forums was a scene painter named Matthew Plummer. He was a lot of fun and he'd post little updates on silly things like how he had to paint floors when a scene required it to be shown. It was that sort of thing, plus the magazine that really gave me an appreciation for the work and attention to detail that everybody involved with the show put in.

BTW, nicely said about how JMS answers questions from a story standpoint. You put it across very well.

Jan
        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I agree that is a good way to explain how jms will fit things into the context of the story. Very good in fact.

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
          Mention of the B5 magazine always reminds me why I end up shaking my head at this whole "Everything is about JMS" stuff.
          What idiot ever said "Everything is about JMS"?

[edit]
          Finally figured out what button I kept missing to add a signature.
          Last edited by Triple F; 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM.

Comment

So what are the member's view's on A Call to Arms, the best out of the movies produced for B5, or does it rank as one of the weakest?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Raiden View Post
              So what are the member's view's on A Call to Arms, the best out of the movies produced for B5, or does it rank as one of the weakest?
              I think it's weak-ish. There's too much in it that feels artificial; it feels more like TV than like history. The music is terrible and saps many of the powerful moments of their emotional impact.

But anything with Sheridan and Galen in it cannot be entirely bad.
              Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Raiden View Post
                It's a pretty good lead-in to start off Crusade but I really didn't care for the way Sheridan acted. It was as if he'd aged most of his allotted 20 years alread instead of just a few.

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I think it (A Call to Arms) tried to do just a little too much in it's running time and it's kind of rushed. It's 5 years later, which is a bit of an adjustment right there, and we're building new ships, and the Drahk are attacking, and the Techomages, at least Galen, is back, and so on. It could have used another about 22 minutes, but then JMS doesn't like things to drag on. And I much prefer the music of the B5 series and not the Crusade music they used. I didn't hate the music but it wasn't nearly as effective.

Also, what I just posted in the random questions thread about the Centauri Trilogy by Peter David applies here, too. The book spans this time and it adds some that helped me, at least, understand and appreciate the background and situation of this movie.

Sadly, for me, only In The Begining doesn't feel like it's a tack on to the B5 story. I'm not saying they aren't any good (I like them all except LOTR if we're including that which I don't *) but it just seems like to shoe horn Thirdspace into the between scenes of "Atonement" is pushing it. You can stick it there because it doesn't really fit anywhere else but it's a rather remarkable occurance that no one ever mentions again, even obliquely. It almost reminds me of when the comics used to come out with those huge special editions that didn't follow the monthly's plot line and you'd wonder how it fit or if they just wanted to sell you another higher priced book by stuffing your favorite characters into it. (The comic people, not JMS, don't think Thirdspace was just an attempt to cash in, except maybe by TNT) At least River of Souls is afterward. I think with Lost Tales, the first part seems to follow in the vein of River of Souls, not a main part of the story but an interesting interlude. The second part seems to continue more of the main building/continuing growth of the Alliance but it seems like something of a rehash of A Call To Arms. I liked them both but I haven't bothered to watch them again.

* Remember the conversation between Londo and Vir about how many gods in their pantheon and Vir said he didn't count that last one? I couldn't help thinking about that regarding LOTR. Is it B5? Well, sort of. Actually, if anything I think it shows how bad it all could have been if they didn't do such a good job back in the 90s.
                  Last edited by Marsden; 01-13-2011, 05:15 AM.
                  "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                  "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

I'd have to agree with the music of A Call to Arms not suiting the movie, completley different to what you'd hear in the series....

Comment

You'll not be happy with the music in Crusade them I'm afraid I liked the theme tune and the intro, but the incidental music doesn't really hit the target
                      I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

Comment

Thanks for the warning I-Zathras, lol! Still currently watching A call to arms, so will soon be checking out crusades..

Comment

Just watch Crusade and play a Franke CD, that'll solve all the problems

I have to say I didn't mind a Call to Arms, I thought it laid the groundwork quite well for the new series. The rapport between Sheridan and Garibaldi was excellent as it really captured the ease of friendship between the two. The action scenes were well done, the introduction of the new characters was easily intergrated into the plot, but...

I have to agree that Sheridan seemed to have aged too much and there seemed to be an effort to get too many plots on screen and the music didn't fit. If I had to give it a mark out of ten, I would probably give it a 7 or 7.5.
                          I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

Comment

Originally posted by I, Zathras View Post
                            Just watch Crusade and play a Franke CD, that'll solve all the problems
                            Or else, remember that music is an entirely subjective medium, ignore what everyone else says, give it a chance and make up your own mind.
                            The Optimist: The glass is half full
                            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Well I make the judgement when I soon come to the crusade series, which isn't far off, been watching A Call to Arms in bit and parts, near the end of it though...

Comment

Working...
                              X