Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Objects at Rest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Objects at Rest

    What do you do when down with a hernia? Yes, you watch your favorite tv-series. Nothing better to do... (very Babylon 5 indeed... turning something bad into something positive).

    Even after watching it a dozen times, I'm still struck by things I hadn't realized before. So here is my question: When Mollari asks for brivari or whisky, any drink... does he hope to knock his keeper out temporarily to warn Sheridan and Delenn about the keeper in the urn? (He seemed so desperate when there was none.)
    Or is this simply my "innocent" interpretation?

    PS: I STILL need a box of tissues when watching Sleeping in Light which makes me both feel childish - after all I am all grown up - and most grateful that the series still hasn't lost its magic for me. I'll go back for more. Definitely not an "object at rest" for me.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
    John Sheridan

  • #2
    Originally posted by DeMonk View Post
    What do you do when down with a hernia? Yes, you watch your favorite tv-series. Nothing better to do... (very Babylon 5 indeed... turning something bad into something positive).

    Even after watching it a dozen times, I'm still struck by things I hadn't realized before. So here is my question: When Mollari asks for brivari or whisky, any drink... does he hope to knock his keeper out temporarily to warn Sheridan and Delenn about the keeper in the urn? (He seemed so desperate when there was none.)
    Or is this simply my "innocent" interpretation?

    PS: I STILL need a box of tissues when watching Sleeping in Light which makes me both feel childish - after all I am all grown up - and most grateful that the series still hasn't lost its magic for me. I'll go back for more. Definitely not an "object at rest" for me.
    From my memory, I am pretty sure he knows at that point, and that was the reason of his disappointment.

    Note also his remark at the end that goes something like : I have always and will always consider you a friend, no matter what happens

    OK, from memory, and you probably remember that remark anyway
    Jan from Denmark

    My blog :

    http://www.babylonlurker.dk

    "Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree. I've always thought that he was hoping to be able to warn them somehow otherwise he wouldn't have pushed so hard.

      ETA: Ooops! Meant to wish you little pain and good drugs while you're laid up, DeMonk!

      Jan
      Last edited by Jan; 11-15-2010, 01:41 PM.
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

      Comment


      • #4
        Oh don't worry. I'm back on my feet, the pain has gone... as long as I am very careful moving and don't lift heavy loads. I had no idea that backpain was THAT bad. Ignorance was a bliss.
        Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
        John Sheridan

        Comment


        • #5
          That's why I always pick B5 over Next Gen onwards.

          It stands repeated viewing, you always get new subtleties and nuances out of it, and it actually has heart and soul.

          It was not a series of 110 adverts for merchandise, which Next Gen clearly was.
          http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
          Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
          47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I must admitt that I enjoy watching NG when I catch an episode on TV.
            But as much as I enjoyed watching BSG I won't watch it a second time. It's one of these series that aren't much interesting anymore when u know the plot.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
              Well I must admitt that I enjoy watching NG when I catch an episode on TV.
              But as much as I enjoyed watching BSG I won't watch it a second time. It's one of these series that aren't much interesting anymore when u know the plot.
              Don't get me wrong, I have got Next Gen on Laserdisc and DVD and Bluray (the Next Gen movies, pointing tht out before AMAZON gets it search engine burnt out from folks looking for the series!), I am not above putting it into the player, and reviewing episodes, as a long standing fan of TREK.

              I just always prefered Classic Trek and B5 to Next Gen.
              http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
              Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
              47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeMonk View Post
                Even after watching it a dozen times, I'm still struck by things I hadn't realized before. So here is my question: When Mollari asks for brivari or whisky, any drink... does he hope to knock his keeper out temporarily to warn Sheridan and Delenn about the keeper in the urn? (He seemed so desperate when there was none.)
                Or is this simply my "innocent" interpretation?
                I recently re-read the Legions of Fire trilogy. If you haven't read those and don't want know what happens in the books then please don't read further.

                And since you are still here. The books suggest that he drinks the keeper to sleep so he can let Sheridan and Delenn(who are in jail for coming to Centauri prime) go. The keeper would warn the Drakh and the Drakh want those 2 dead.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DeMonk View Post
                  Even after watching it a dozen times, I'm still struck by things I hadn't realized before. So here is my question: When Mollari asks for brivari or whisky, any drink... does he hope to knock his keeper out temporarily to warn Sheridan and Delenn about the keeper in the urn? (He seemed so desperate when there was none.)
                  Definitely. That's why he's so desperate.

                  Originally posted by Mariel View Post
                  The books suggest that he drinks the keeper to sleep so he can let Sheridan and Delenn(who are in jail for coming to Centauri prime) go. The keeper would warn the Drakh and the Drakh want those 2 dead.
                  The episode (War Without End) also suggests that.
                  Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well there we have it direct from JMS:

                    Originally posted by jms
                    He wanted the drink so he could put the keeper to sleep and warn them. When that didn't happen, the [Drakh] plan continued, so yes, he knew.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      B5

                      Babylon 5 is one project that needs a revival for the 21st Centuary, bring it back!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I actually think that the Legion of Fire Triology would make an excellent B5 Movie, even though Andreas and Richard are no longer with us.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That is the one BIG question I have, how come B5 had so many TV movies, yet Warner Bros. never felt hey why not give this a shot on the BIG screen? If the likes of A-Team can eventually get a big-screen movie, Star-Trek can get a reboot, why can't B5???

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I know there's a whole issue on rights and who own what, but could JMS not pull together enough investment from other parties if WB aren't interested, and look to get a big screen movie on the go? Could they purchase the right from WB? Surely, if they're happy to just let it sit in the archives they'd sell it on to someone?

                            The Legions of Fire books would make for a great movie, and I know we've had In the Beginning, but I'd like to see the Minbari War covered again to be honest. B5 wasn't always about battles, it was characters, but when it did them they were good, so I'd love to see more of that element... I have just watched Point of No Return and Severed Dreams mind you so I'm feeling a bit gung-ho!
                            I'm a pessimist: that way you're never disappointed but frequently, pleasantly surprised

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by I, Zathras View Post
                              I know there's a whole issue on rights and who own what, but could JMS not pull together enough investment from other parties if WB aren't interested, and look to get a big screen movie on the go? Could they purchase the right from WB? Surely, if they're happy to just let it sit in the archives they'd sell it on to someone?
                              When it comes to a feature film, JMS owns the rights so he could have a film made with or without WB involvement. In fact, a few years ago, a group did option the rights from JMS and commissioned him to write a script (The Memory of Shadows AKA TMoS). In the end, they weren't able to put together a package for financing and distribution and the project dead-ended. General opinion holds that script to be 'dead pages' since it would have to be bought back from the group that commissioned it if it were to be made.

                              Jan
                              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X