No announcement yet.

Babylon 5 Lost Tales in 720p HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to be the only person in the world who likes the widescreen version. I know the effects are spoiled by it at times, but I find that widescreen looks so much more epic and cinematic...
    Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Recently at Comic-Con Brube Boxleitner reported that JMS told him about an idea he had for a feature film so my guess would be that at least some of the original cast would appear.

Jan
      I've often thought that one of the main advantages B5 has as a franchise is that it doesn't hinge on the doings of a small group of characters. The world and indeed the timeline is so broad that you could conceivably set a story almost anywhere or any-when. It took Star Trek decades to free itself from being just about the adventures of the original crew and/or a ship named Enterprise.

A good example I like to use for B5's flexibility in terms of storytelling is 'Dark Genesis', the first of the Psi Corps books. The whole think takes place between about 140 - 60 years before the show even starts and had none of the established characters (unless you count a certain newborn at the end.) On top of that 99% of the story is strictly Earthbound and aside from two VERY brief appearances, the cast is entierly human.
      As I've repeatedly stated to any that'd listen, this book would be prime material if they were ever able to make an HBO style mini-series. It's a great story in it's own right, is sufficiently long and "epic" to sustain 6-8 hours of film and requires no previous knowledge of B5. Think Spielberg's 'Taken' meets 'Roots' with a little (original) 'V' for good measure.

Incidentally, not counting this latest possibility; how many runs have there been at a B5 theatrical film at this point? There was 'The Memory of Shadows' that was in pre-pre production back in '04 (I think) but I think I dimly recall there being serious talk of a film depicting the Telepath War back when Crusade was still optimistically un-cancelled.
      Was that meant to be a theatrical film, another TV movie or is my memory just playing tricks again?

Comment

I agree that with the broad spectrum of the B5 Universe, the story can be place anytime. However the vast majority of fans who watched the series and have not read the books (I have read them all) would not be so interested in a major feature film that did not have at least some of the main characters in it. Now I think the Legions of Fire Triology would make an excellent movie. You have Delenn, Sheridan, Garibaldi, Londo, Vir the Drak and Technomages. Unfortunately the characters of G'Kar and Dr. Franklin would have to be recast, but I think people understand that point. It also introduces David Sheridan. It ties in with the series and ties up some loose ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend View Post
          Incidentally, not counting this latest possibility; how many runs have there been at a B5 theatrical film at this point? There was 'The Memory of Shadows' that was in pre-pre production back in '04 (I think) but I think I dimly recall there being serious talk of a film depicting the Telepath War back when Crusade was still optimistically un-cancelled.
          Was that meant to be a theatrical film, another TV movie or is my memory just playing tricks again?
          There was a plan for a feature film called "Wars of the Mind", but I don't think it even reached preproduction. A short outline was reprinted in the TV Movies script book that mentions the ultimate fate of Lyta and Lennier being shown in the film.

Comment

The more time passes between the end of the show and the making of a movie, the more likely it is that we will see some sort of re-boot, or a separate story not involving the main characters.

In terms of actors ages, we are already more than halfway through the time gap between Objects at Rest and Sleeping in Light, and there is a limit to how much could be done to make the actors look more like they did when the show was on the air if (as long intimated) the Telepath War were to be a thread of any big screen movie.

At this point, my money would be on a new cast, separate story, involving the station and with guest appearances from the main TV show cast.

If it happens at all.

Unfortunately the characters of G'Kar and Dr. Franklin would have to be recast, but I think people understand that point.
            I really don't think JMS would do that. The fans would, obviously, understand, but it always seemed to me that, as far as JMS was concerned, G'Kar and Franklin spoke to him in Andreas Katsulas' and Richard Biggs' voices. More likely he would find a way to do it without those characters. Personally, I would be happy either way.

I seem to be the only person in the world who likes the widescreen version. I know the effects are spoiled by it at times, but I find that widescreen looks so much more epic and cinematic...
            Nah ... there are at least two of us.

Last edited by Garibaldi's Hair; 08-25-2010, 01:49 AM.
            The Optimist: The glass is half full
            The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
            The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
              Nah ... there are at least two of us.
              Make that Three!
              All generalizations are false, including this one.

Comment

Working...
              X