Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverend
    replied
    Yeah, it's because of the CG work. They were never rendered into widescreen so what you see on the DVD is basically a cropped picture and since it was rendered in what would today be considered a very low resolution, it looks pretty bad.

Doing the same thing in BluRay would look even worse as the contrast between the nice HD quality live action footage and any scene with CGI (that includes composite shots) would be all the more stark.

The only way to release B5 in HD is to go back and re-render and re-composite every single CG shot. It'd be a huge amount of work as it would also entail rebuilding all of the assents up to HD standard and from what I gather, at the moment and for the foreseeable future that is just too expensive.

I suppose it's possible WB might spring for doing one of the movies ('In The Beginning' perhaps?) as a test to see if it can be done at a reasonable price and how well it might sell, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• Whyruss
    replied
    I guess bc of the CGI - u would have to do them all again for a better resolution. 2001 doesn't have any CGI.

Leave a comment:

• ILUVJOHNSHERIDAN
    replied
    OK tell me again why B5 isn't being release in HD? I just seen 2001 A space Odyssey on Blue Ray and it looks a lot crisper than our DVD copy. More of the Details stand out so I am confused about this whole subject.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Been through season 1 on Netflix now and have noticed that Grail and Survivors are switched on the list, and for some reason TKO is in the widescreen version even though the other episodes are full screen.
    Last edited by JoeD80; 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Originally posted by Snatcher42 View Post
    Simply put, I think this is the best the series has ever looked, certainly much better than on DVD! Though I should note that I have a fast internet connection able to stream at max quality. Others' mileage may vary.
    That's what I suspected. Now if only it would be available to people outside US...

Leave a comment:

• Snatcher42
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
    It is nice to see the non-blurry EFX for once!
    Indeed. The blurry picture would even spoil the story sometimes. You'd always know a few seconds before someone fired a gun or some other magic event happened, because the picture would suddenly get worse. I'm a few episodes in and really enjoying this Netflix re-watch. Everything seems so much more solid and integrated, like the soul globes and laser in soul hunter. Film grain and scratches are much less noticeable too. Simply put, I think this is the best the series has ever looked, certainly much better than on DVD! Though I should note that I have a fast internet connection able to stream at max quality. Others' mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Snatcher42; 07-15-2010, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeD80
    replied
    Originally posted by Snatcher42 View Post
    A little cropping is ok, but I hated how blurry everything looked whenever any cg was in a shot. It also felt odd that characters stood unnaturally close together in the first few seasons, the directors framing more for fullscreen. Hope netflix doesn't "fix" this, and switch over to widescreen later!
    It is nice to see the non-blurry EFX for once! I don't think Netflix would change the version over since they already have these versions licensed. Also note that the credits are correct because of the full-screen use (e.g., Delenn's transformation isn't revealed in the credits before you see it; Ivanova's promotion is reflected in the credits; etc.)

Leave a comment:

• DGTWoodward
    replied
    Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
    Hmmm ... only if the rest of R2 got different DVDs to the UK. I bought every season set as it came out (pre-ordered from Amazon UK in most cases) and every single one of them is widescreen.
    This ^

No offence but I think...might you just be confusing your DVD releases as I have bought seasons 1 - 4 on day of release here in the good old R2 UK and every man-jack one of then has been 16:9?

I bought season 5 as a Region 1 because, for what ever reason, the UK season 5 was held back for months and I did not want to wait. And that was 16:9 too.

Are you sure that you are not confusing the first 'teaser taste' release of Gathering/Beginning, or even perhaps the VHS, which cetainly was 4:3 I know...because I bought all of them too.

Leave a comment:

• Snatcher42
    replied
    Originally posted by trekkeriii View Post
    In addition they are streaming all 5 seasons (including The Gathering DVD edition in Season 1). Downside is the episodes are in full screen not the widescreen like the DVD releases.
    Not a downside for me! I have the widescreen DVDs, and have been looking for a way to re-watch the series in fullscreen for ages. Thanks for the heads-up, wow I'm really excited! Watched a few bits on netflix, and have to say that the effects (especially mixed live action and cgi) look the best they have since first broadcast. I've never been a fan of the 16:9 versions. A little cropping is ok, but I hated how blurry everything looked whenever any cg was in a shot. It also felt odd that characters stood unnaturally close together in the first few seasons, the directors framing more for fullscreen. Hope netflix doesn't "fix" this, and switch over to widescreen later!
    Last edited by Snatcher42; 07-12-2010, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
    The first release of B5 in R2 was a double-sided DVD of The Gathering and In the Beginning, if I remember correctly, and those were indeed in 4:3 format.

The series itself was released from the beginning in 16:9.
    And that first release with TG and ITB, only TG was 4:3 (as intended), ITB was 16:9. This was the same in R1.

I got R2 season set DVD's from both UK and Germany from the beginning as they were released, all were 16:9.
    Last edited by vakie; 07-09-2010, 05:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zoltan
    replied
    Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
    I think they changed it during the years. As I said the first DVDs here (Europe / RC 2) were released in 4:3. But I recently bought the first season again (don't ask me why - it was sold for 9,99€ so I couldn't resist ^^) and now it's in 16:9.
    The first release of B5 in R2 was a double-sided DVD of The Gathering and In the Beginning, if I remember correctly, and those were indeed in 4:3 format.

The series itself was released from the beginning in 16:9.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by Whyruss View Post
    I think they changed it during the years. As I said the first DVDs here (Europe / RC 2) were released in 4:3 ...
    Hmmm ... only if the rest of R2 got different DVDs to the UK. I bought every season set as it came out (pre-ordered from Amazon UK in most cases) and every single one of them is widescreen.

Leave a comment:

• Whyruss
    replied
    I think they changed it during the years. As I said the first DVDs here (Europe / RC 2) were released in 4:3. But I recently bought the first season again (don't ask me why - it was sold for 9,99Ç so I couldn't resist ^^) and now it's in 16:9.
    I was also talking about the german SciFi channel (luckily u can switch audio to English ^^). I guess it depends on the TV channel - f.e. on Kabel1 B5 is also in 4:3 and on Tele5 it's in 16:9.

Leave a comment:

• vakie
    replied
    Nope, I have B5 DVD's from both R1 (USA) and R2 (Europe), and all are widescreen (except The Gathering). Subtitles can be added to any aspect ratio. I don't see why any other region would be 4:3 either, WB would have to master a whole new set of discs, with additional costs.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I'm sure that somebody more knowledgable than I can chime in here but IIRC, what ratio you have on the DVDs depends on what region you're in. Something to do with subtitles, maybe?

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X