No announcement yet.

JMS reassures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, given JMS's intense control over practically every artistic/design choice, we're basically assured any final adjustments will be made with his approval.

Comment

Their machinery may look good, but their people modeling wasn't that great. Look at the agents jumping on cars during that freeway chase.
      I think I did the quote wrong. That was from frulad.

It's just a bit off, but you must remember that the Matrix films had to show very recognizable every day things doing quite unusual actions. We know real world things and can spot even a tiny flaw in how it acts or reacts. On the other hand if you have strange creatures in a fantastical world, we as viewers tend to be more forgiving. For instance: In Return of the King, Legolas swinging around the Oliphant was very fake to me but most people have no problem with it. The Oliphants themselves were great looking though. And WETA can render the hell out of huge ground armies.

Personaly I see both LotR and the new Star Wars films as having quite lovely FX but they both seem animated in a kind of painterly way. It works perfectly for LotR but I wish Star Wars would go back to the more realistic look of the original trilogy. Look at Empire's snow battle and except for a few stop motion model shots, it looks like the battle actualy took place in front of the cameras. I think this is a stylistic decision by George Lucas more than a tecnological one.

Oh, and thanks for the hi Colonyearth. Been lurking for over ten years and have enjoyed your posts over at B5TV.com for a wile now. I posted a DS9 stole from B5 rant a year or two ago and then a day latter all the messages on the board were lost

Your most likely correct about B5:TMoS not getting two major FX houses. It'll be lucky to get even a budget of sixty to seventy million. That would be a low budget by todays standards. Spiderman 2 was two hundred million befor advertising and Spielbergs upcoming War of the Worlds may cost that high. On the other hand JMS is great at keeping costs down and with no big stars to pay it could still turn out very nice.

Comment

About the director thing. JMS seems to be in love with Mike Vejar's work on B5 and I also think his direction is excellent. If they can get a brilliant cinematographer, such as Vilmos Zigmond or Dean Cundey, then it would look as good as getting an expensive director. And any director that was as good as this project deserves (Steven Spielberg, Oliver Stone, David O. Russell, the Wachowski's, or the like) would cost to much, be unavalible. and would see it as his own vision. That just leaves us standard work for hire directors with no vision. Vejar with a world class cinematographer would be the way I would go.

Alfonso Cuar┬żn would be nice though.

Comment

The interesting thing about tossing out ideas for a director is that all of us have different concepts about who would be a good choice. I like all the directors you named, flynn, but I think all of 'em would be terrible for B5.

There's also a great deal more variety between the huge-name, A-listers and TV/episodic directors than your post indicates. You don't necessarily need a journeyman work-for-hire dude, you just need someone who's willing to bring their own creative energy to the project while working within the boundaries established by the creator/executive producer. There are a lot of these guys out there, some known, some not.

We'll see how JMS goes...

Comment

As far as
            Space FX goes, remember the B-5 Majic Word:
            Hubble

Expect JMS to continue to use his best source of Real outer space backgrounds.

And, while Warner may have lost the original digital models, I imagine that at least a few of them survive as "personal souvenirs" in the hands of some of the people who worked on them.
            If they can be persuaded to Part with them, OTOH...

One of the interesting things they did was, as the series progressed, in their spare time, they kept refining and adding detail to most of the recurring models.
            Like B5 itself.
            From season to season, it got more and more detailed.

I hope, if any of that work DID survive, even if only fragments, its from the latest generation.

Comment

Regardless of who does the FX, I'm looking forward to seeing the station itself on the big screen. I'm four episodes into S3 in my first ever "straight through" viewing on DVD*, and I've been struck by the shots where the CGI and matte paintings really work in giving a sense of scale to the place and where they absolutely fall apart. As JMS mentions more than once the matte-painting/diorama in the captain's office - which is supposed to be a window offering a view down the length of the central area of the station - never worked. Several shots of passing backgrounds seen from the windows of the core shuttle simillarly look like absolutely flat paintings.

Granted, B5 was never about the special effects. They existed only to serve the story and when they were less than stellar the story still carried them. Still, it will be nice to see what the place could look like with enough time and money lavished on the visuals, to really see an O'Niel colony depicted on the big screen. Think of the Enterprise space-dock scene in The Motion(less) Picture and imagine something comparable with Babylon 5.

Ooooh, I can't wait.

Regards,

Joe

* This may seem oddly delayed, but the fact is I've only just gotten around to ordering a replacement set of S3 discs. I received the set with 3 scratche discs and returned them to the dealer who stalled me on a replacement for several months before going out of business taking my money and discs with it. I then suffered an incredible brain cramp while out shopping one day and misrembered having a bad S4 set - and seeinig one being sold at a deep discount bought it. I thus ended up with 2 S4s and no complete S3s and only discovered this recently while trying to watch the TV movies and all the episodes in order.

P.S.

Does anyone get the Golf Channel? I don't play the game myself, but livining in Florida I'm surrounded by golf fanatics including my brother-in-law and my nephew and several of their friends. So I have been known to watch part of a tour event, and even the odd instructional show on TGC. Anyway, I was just flipping around the dial and happened upon a celebrity golf show with Major Ryan himself, Bruce McGill. (Better known to most people as God/The Bartender from Quantum Leap and even better known for a little fiim he and Stephen Furst did back in the 70s. )
              Joseph DeMartino
              Sigh Corps
              Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino
                Regardless of who does the FX, I'm looking forward to seeing the station itself on the big screen. I'm four episodes into S3 in my first ever "straight through" viewing on DVD*, and I've been struck by the shots where the CGI and matte paintings really work in giving a sense of scale to the place and where they absolutely fall apart. As JMS mentions more than once the matte-painting/diorama in the captain's office - which is supposed to be a window offering a view down the length of the central area of the station - never worked. Several shots of passing backgrounds seen from the windows of the core shuttle simillarly look like absolutely flat paintings.

Granted, B5 was never about the special effects. They existed only to serve the story and when they were less than stellar the story still carried them. Still, it will be nice to see what the place could look like with enough time and money lavished on the visuals, to really see an O'Niel colony depicted on the big screen. Think of the Enterprise space-dock scene in The Motion(less) Picture and imagine something comparable with Babylon 5.

Ooooh, I can't wait.

Regards,

Joe

* This may seem oddly delayed, but the fact is I've only just gotten around to ordering a replacement set of S3 discs. I received the set with 3 scratche discs and returned them to the dealer who stalled me on a replacement for several months before going out of business taking my money and discs with it. I then suffered an incredible brain cramp while out shopping one day and misrembered having a bad S4 set - and seeinig one being sold at a deep discount bought it. I thus ended up with 2 S4s and no complete S3s and only discovered this recently while trying to watch the TV movies and all the episodes in order.

P.S.

Does anyone get the Golf Channel? I don't play the game myself, but livining in Florida I'm surrounded by golf fanatics including my brother-in-law and my nephew and several of their friends. So I have been known to watch part of a tour event, and even the odd instructional show on TGC. Anyway, I was just flipping around the dial and happened upon a celebrity golf show with Major Ryan himself, Bruce McGill. (Better known to most people as God/The Bartender from Quantum Leap and even better known for a little fiim he and Stephen Furst did back in the 70s. )
                Did anyone ever find out why so many of the discs were scratched? I had to exchange Season 2 and Season 3 wasn't hot, but I used a DVD repair thingie to fix the defective discs. Are any other WB products like this?

I used to have the Golf Channel, but I downgraded from digital cable to "expanded" simply because it was way too much TV and I am someone with way too little time. I enjoyed ESPN Classic.

EDIT: I first typed "Gold Channel." Ironic.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

... I'm looking forward to seeing the station itself on the big screen.
                  Ooooh, I can't wait.
                  My feelings exactly ever since we first got an inkling that TMoS was going to be a theatrical release. For the first time in my life I may just have to be first in line to see this one.

Jan
                  "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Did anyone ever find out why so many of the discs were scratched?
                    Probably a combination of loose spindles, discs not being properly secured by the machines that load them in tne trays and their getting bounced around in transit. Add in the fact that the transparent trays that WB chose to go with use a hard, stiff, and somewhat brittle plastic (unlike the softer, slighty rubbery plastic available in solid colors) and the result is scratched discs. It isn't a problem unique to Warner Bros. or even to DVDs. WB doesn't make the cases used for B5, they buy them from a third party who also supplies cases to other studios. Only the other day I bought a game that came on multiple CDs (CSI for the PC) - two of the three discs were rattling around inside the case loose, one had a minor scratch - or perhaps a plastic transfer from the spindle. (Which, in truth, are what many of the B5 DVD "scratches" have turned out to be.) Despite the blemish the disc worked fine and I was able to install the game. (CDs don't pack data as densely as DVDs do, and so are more tolerant of such things.)

EDIT: I first typed "Gold Channel." Ironic.

Regards,

Joe
                    Joseph DeMartino
                    Sigh Corps
                    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

happened upon a celebrity golf show with Major Ryan himself, Bruce McGill.
                      Wasn't that just the neatest thing? I do play the game, so I watch the Golf Channel regularly. Celebrity Golf is a GC production I believe, with Peter Jacobsen playing against a celebrity and giving them strokes (like a pro basketball player going against an amateur and spotting them a certain number of points). The two golfers each choose a charity to play for.

The episode with Bruce McGill must be a popular one, I've seen it three times! But Bruce is actually quite a good golfer, and he gave Jacobson a good run for the money. And he is extremely witty as well, with many humorous quips and comments throughout the round. It was also great to hear a pro make casual comments about the shot he just made, like "that will WORK!". And usually when Jacobsen makes an awesome shot, that's when you get the really good comments from Bruce.

Another good celebrity golfer is Jerry Orbach (Lenny Briscoe on Law and Order). He's a regular on the Golf Channel, and with his easy-going delivery and passion for the game I could see him as a commentator.

Although it still cracks me up that Bruce played D-Day on Animal House! I would have NEVER guessed that, until I saw the E! True Hollywood Story on the film and he was one of the actors interviewed. Talk about bowling me over.

On the case issue, my B5 1st season disks will just fall out of the case if you let them. Curious enough though, S2-S5 disks fit snuggly in their trays. But this kind of thing is common - when TNG S3 (I think) came out, the flyer that was attached to the package wouldn't come off without ripping apart the box! They mistakenly used some kind of iron glue instead of the rubber cement that is usually used.
                      "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

So do you guys not use the B5 cases and simply display them on the shelf while placing the discs in a CD jacket? Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea...
                        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

So do you guys not use the B5 cases and simply display them on the shelf while placing the discs in a CD jacket?
                          No, I leave 'em in the cases they came in. I find putting a bit of ordinary Scotch (tm) Magic Transparent tape over the hub helps a lot. The extra "thickness" makes the discs hold better. Eventually I'll probably order some Alpha or similar cases and replace the original artwork with custom covers from Rix Grafix .

Regards,

Joe
                          Joseph DeMartino
                          Sigh Corps
                          Pat Tallman Division

Comment

Working...
                          X