X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NotKosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Radhil
    Records did survive, kept secret by the Grey Council. These were shown by Delenn to the B5ers onboard the White Star, while on route to actually do the stealing deed, in War Without End Pt 1.
    Yeah, I remember that scene. I also remember finding it totally unconceivable and indefensible that a technologically advanced race would lose records. Delenn says it was one of the few surviving records from that time period. BS. I can't imagine the Minbari not having plenty of records from that time period. It may have been 1000 years but records get transferred to less fragile media.

Leave a comment:

• AmyG
    replied
    For one, he was NOT a redneck. Two, who said you can be from Brooklyn and not be a redneck?
    Listen, I'm from Brooklyn (althoguh currently an expatriate living in Philadelphia), and I can tell you: we don't have a whole lotta rednecks there. :-)

I'd also like to add here that I liked Jeff Corey in the role of Justin. He had a soft, grandfatherliness that made the reality of who he was that much more powerful and effective. IMHO, and YMMV, of course.

Aisling

Leave a comment:

• nanorc
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    You have convinced me that you sincerely believe that there is "no difference."
    There is absolutely no difference. Both send the exact same message and amount to exactly the same thing in the end. I much prefer the direct approach to rudeness.

Also, it makes no sense to throw the big book of human decency at the same guy you just finished insulting. You can't have your pie, then gratify yourself with it too (though, if you opted for the latter, you could pass it on to your spouse).

Further, ugliness is more than a mere surface issue. Often, it detracts from the overall experience. The uglier the obscenity is, the more it'll irk you (case in point, above paragraph, *cough*). A few examples in B5:

-Delenns hair style from the start of season 2
    -Sheridans pear shaped stature all throughout season 2 to mid S3, with a few intervals of dieting. Yes Severed Dreams was still mind blowing, but would have been greater still had he gone easy on the ho-ho's.
    Last edited by nanorc; 07-30-2004, 02:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<And as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between hinting politely at telling someone to f*** off and just plain telling them, to f*** off.>>

It's called tact.
    Last edited by Ranger1; 09-17-2004, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    Originally posted by bakana
    "Hi Honey. I rescued you guys from certain death. And I only had to kill a couple Billion people to do it."

The Shadows did not save Morden's family. They killed them.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    You also have to keep in mind that, Except for To Dream in the City of Sorrows the writers of the books didn't get much chance to pump JMS for additional info about the background events.

Mostly because most of the books were written while the show was still on the air and JMS was busier than a Centauri in a Narn game of Dodge Ball.

That said, this is one of the Better books. It is partuclarly good because if Explains just what it is that Morden Wants.

It's a shame no one ever told Morden: Be careful what you wish for. You Might get it.

Can you Imagine the scene if he Did get what he wanted??

"Hi Honey. I rescued you guys from certain death. And I only had to kill a couple Billion people to do it."

"YOU DID WHAT ???"

Leave a comment:

• Radhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    That depends on whether any records survived... and maybe Valen tried to make sure there weren't many specifics.

Thanks for the (lack of) info on Justin from "The Shadow Within."
    Records did survive, kept secret by the Grey Council. These were shown by Delenn to the B5ers onboard the White Star, while on route to actually do the stealing deed, in War Without End Pt 1.

Leave a comment:

• Capt.Montoya
    replied
    Originally posted by NotKosh
    I really wonder what happened the first time the Minbari saw B4 in its proposed of final form, and some Grey Council member must have crapped himself.
    That depends on whether any records survived... and maybe Valen tried to make sure there weren't many specifics.

Thanks for the (lack of) info on Justin from "The Shadow Within."

Leave a comment:

• NotKosh
    replied
    I just finished reading "The Shadow Within".

Spoilers below.

It covers the Icarus. There is also a B story of Sheridan and his first command of the Agamemnon. The book takes place around the time of B5's dedication ceremony.

Some notes.

Jason was not part of the Icarus crew. He is not mentioned in the book. If he was, then he was totally overlooked.

Morden was a very competent linguist, he was present on the Mars dig.

As has been mentioned here before, IPX is only interested in exploiting technology. Risk is irrelevant.

Homeguard was around back then, and may have been responsible for the destruction of B, B2 & B3.

I really wonder what happened the first time the Minbari saw B4 in its proposed of final form, and some Grey Council member must have crapped himself.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
    I think IPX would be similar to major USA aerospace companies like Lockheed Martin, heavily involved in government projects including secret defense projects. I don't think such companies are just front companies. But I may be wrong... maybe that's what they want me to think, and they are in control...
    I agree that IPX is almost certainly mostly "legit" in terms of its business, because secret government work doesn't pay well enough to make a company a megacorp and it would be too hard for such a company to hide its sources of income if it were mostly from secret sources (how could you explain that to your stockholders?). But maybe that's what they want ME to believe!

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by nanorc
    What a crybaby.

I stand by my earlier remarks. Of course its an opinion, and if you can't handle it, its *your* problem, and not mine.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between hinting politely at telling someone to f*** off and just plain telling them, to f*** off.
    You have convinced me that you sincerely believe that there is "no difference." Thus, I will now employ the "Ignore" button for the first time since joining this forum. Congratulations!

Leave a comment:

• nanorc
    replied
    What a crybaby.

I stand by my earlier remarks. Of course its an opinion, and if you can't handle it, its *your* problem, and not mine.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between hinting politely at telling someone to f*** off and just plain telling them, to f*** off.
    Last edited by Ranger1; 09-17-2004, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<Besides, isn't being from the south a pre-req for being a redneck?>>

I grew up in California. Northern California. I lived in a large city, population 275,000. In most big cities, there are certain places you don't go if you aren't white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. The eastern side of town, collectively dubbed "Okieville," was like a white trash haven. These people were born and raised in that city, but wore Dixie stick t-shirts with the arms cut out, trucker hats and had southern accents. So, no, I don't think it's a pre-req, because I have met people where I live now in the south who grew up HERE who sound like they are from California. It's like...pocket groups of cultures a thousand miles away. Very interesting.

I know in the 40's and 50's, tons of people moved to CA from TX, AR, OK, etc. and there is a slough of little crap towns in the desert in so. Cal that are little redneck communities. I guess they just passed the traditions down.

Leave a comment:

• Hichhiker
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    <<The man was from Brooklyn, NY. Before you rip someone at least take a moment to get your demographics straight.>>

For one, he was NOT a redneck. Two, who said you can be from Brooklyn and not be a redneck?
    Well, I am not saying it is impossible, but having grown up there, getting a farmer's tan in Brooklyn is not as easy as you'd think. ;-)

Besides, isn't being from the south a pre-req for being a redneck?

-HH

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<The man was from Brooklyn, NY. Before you rip someone at least take a moment to get your demographics straight.>>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X