No announcement yet.

The Man in Between

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but not so much as to be just a "front company" in my opinion.
    I'm quite certain the peoiple who run "Front" companies are quite happy when they make a profit outside the real purpose of the company.

A) They can spend that profit. Slush Funds can be very helpful.

B) It makes their cover look better.

C) I'm sure that Earthforce doesn't limit their desire for Alien Tech to just Weapons. Or things that can be turned into weapons.

Comment

Both Sheridan and Sinclair had significant others working for IPX. Both were interested in finding out about conspiracies but had no qualms about their loved ones working for IPX and never asked them to look into shady stuff at IPX.
      That's completely circumstancial but it makes me think that IPX wasn't intended to be just a front company to search weapons for Earthforce.

Then there is the personal factor too: I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories (I find them lacking in logic and intellectually dishonest).

I suspect we would have learned more about IPX in Crusade... another reason to deplore what happened with that show.
      I guess that IPX relationship with Earthforce would have come up when the Excalibur went rogue and Max Eilerson would have had to choose whom to serve and whom to trust, and the crew to decide if they could trust him at all..
      Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
      James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Montoya
        Both Sheridan and Sinclair had significant others working for IPX. Both were interested in finding out about conspiracies but had no qualms about their loved ones working for IPX and never asked them to look into shady stuff at IPX.
        ... that we saw.

Sheridan seemed plenty leery of IPX in Thirdspace. In fact, the appearance of IPX at B5 while under quarantine in thirdspace shows us that they have at least high "unofficial" pull at Earthgov.

Then there is the personal factor too: I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories (I find them lacking in logic and intellectually dishonest).
        This is a fictional show which features oodles of conspiracies. You don't have to accept real-life conspiracies to enjoy conspiracy-laden shows like B5 or The X Files.
        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
          WorkerCaste - Excellent post. And....The man was from Brooklyn, NY. Before you rip someone at least take a moment to get your demographics straight.

I can help you with the big words if you need it.

I was gonna use that one in the quote thread but it's a helluva lot more appropriate here. Do we have a smiley that flips off someone?
          I really couldn't care less where the actor was from. He was a horrible actor, completely the wrong choice for the role. So f*** off, smartass.
          Last edited by Ranger1; 09-17-2004, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanorc
            He was a horrible actor, completely the wrong choice for the role.
            Since I am involved in this exchange, I feel the need to comment one more time. Nanorc, your second comments (quoted above) were actually better than your first. In the first you called Jeff Corey ugly and a redneck. That seems just mean spirited since it would not necessarily have relevance to how he did his job, even if the comments were accurate. In your second post, your comments bear more on the performance. "Horrible actor" and "completely wrong choice." You are certainly entitled to your opinions, and you're entitled to express them, although courtesy usually calls for people to add an IMO disclaimer rather than state the opinion as simple fact. I happen to disagree with both. Given Mr. Corey's body of work, it would seem that I'm not alone in my opinion of the first part, too. Mean spirited comments about actors, public figures, etc. almost always draw fire from people who are offended on behalf of the person who is the target.
            "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

originally posted by nanorc
              &%#$%^&^%$%^&@#*$%^
              Oooohhhh..........I'm so hurt by such an intelligent, original exchange....................and straight out of Ain't it Cool News at that!

Guess I better move on before I lower myself any further towards your level, and pal - that's a loooong......waaaaaay......doooooown.

I heartily salute WC for the repeated attempt at civility, way to go. I must endeavor to do likewise.
              "The cat is not evil for killing the rat, nor is the rat evil for stealing the grain. Each acts according to its nature." Master Po - Kung Fu:TOS

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-Thayer Dunnthaedt
                I heartily salute WC for the repeated attempt at civility, way to go. I must endeavor to do likewise.
                I've discovered that it's easy to ignore posters who you decide are a waste of bandwidth. Click on the 'Members' button at the top of your screen, then find and click on the offending person's name. After their information, on the bottom right there's a link to click to add them to your ignore list.

It's usually such a nice quiet forum...

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler
                  This is a fictional show which features oodles of conspiracies. You don't have to accept real-life conspiracies to enjoy conspiracy-laden shows like B5 or The X Files.
                  I agree with that but when people see a conspiracy behind any small unexplained detail in the series I think it's as illogical as "real life" conspiracy theories...
                  And would you believe that I found X-files so skewed towards conspiracies that I never got into it?

I think IPX would be similar to major USA aerospace companies like Lockheed Martin, heavily involved in government projects including secret defense projects. I don't think such companies are just front companies. But I may be wrong... maybe that's what they want me to think, and they are in control...
                  Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase

Comment

ignore

Originally posted by Jan
                    I've discovered that it's easy to ignore posters who you decide are a waste of bandwidth. Click on the 'Members' button at the top of your screen, then find and click on the offending person's name. After their information, on the bottom right there's a link to click to add them to your ignore list.
                    You can also just click on the "profile" button at the bottom of the offending person's post. In the profile you'll see a link to add them to the "ignore" list.
                    That's also a quick way to add persons to your buddy list.

Since most of those obnoxious people are simply ignorant (both in manners and knowledge, the less they know the more they imagine they're right) I think there's some irony in ignoring them. Or maybe it's just poetic justice...

Now if the system could remember who to ignore when one forgets to sign in it would be peachy...

Comment

Both Sheridan and Sinclair had significant others working for IPX.
                      Not quite. Sinclair's significant other was a Freelancer. She owned her own ship and sold the results of her work to the highest Bidder.

Or to the company that offered her the Exploration Contract in the case of Sigma 957...

We've shot our first scenes between Sinclair and his new love interest. Catherine Sakai (as played by Julia Nickson).
                      This is a very, very strong character, and she brings a wonderful vibrancy to Sakai. They have a unique relationship that looks and sounds like a real relationship, with all its ups and downs and dumb moments.

One way that I've reinforced this is that...well. in the first episode in which they meet again (they were involved before). just about every scene between them is lifted almost directly from personal experience.

And given some of the awkward, even painful conversations that take place, it was very, *very* hard to watch this being rehearsed. (Michael and Julia worked over a weekend with the director to get the nuances just right.)
                      When it came time to shoot the scenes, much as I wanted to be on-set, I just couldn't do it. My heart just kept falling right down to my shoes.
                      I can't wait for the first person to say "I don't buy this as a real relationship" just so's I can whap him upside the head. But I have a hunch that won't happen. It comes across as very real, and as a very vulnerable moment for both characters.

"Write what you know," they said. Right. How about I just take a power drill and stick it in my ear...it'd be faster, less painful, and after a while I might even come to like it....

Catherine Sakai is a surveyer. She has her own business. She has her own ship. In some episode, she has nothing whatsoever to do with the commander, she's off doing her own business.
                      In "Mind War," as one example. we see her for 30 seconds with the commander in the morning, with both going off to their respective jobs, and that's it...the rest of the story she's in is exclusively hers, concerning something she runs into while on a survey run.

Regarding Catherine Sakai...believe me, this ain't a consort kind of relationship.
                      It will be monogamous, but difficult in many ways.
                      This has been an on-again/off-again relationship between them for years, made up of three parts passion and two parts teeth.

It will be a very fiery relationship.

And this is a woman with her own business, her own ship, who comes and goes as she wishes.
                      You have to understand that I love writing strong female characters, and Catherine will be probably one of the strongest.

jms

Comment

<<The man was from Brooklyn, NY. Before you rip someone at least take a moment to get your demographics straight.>>

For one, he was NOT a redneck. Two, who said you can be from Brooklyn and not be a redneck?
                        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                          <<The man was from Brooklyn, NY. Before you rip someone at least take a moment to get your demographics straight.>>

For one, he was NOT a redneck. Two, who said you can be from Brooklyn and not be a redneck?
                          Well, I am not saying it is impossible, but having grown up there, getting a farmer's tan in Brooklyn is not as easy as you'd think. ;-)

Besides, isn't being from the south a pre-req for being a redneck?

-HH
                          It lies, you know... not all the time, just enough...

Comment

<<Besides, isn't being from the south a pre-req for being a redneck?>>

I grew up in California. Northern California. I lived in a large city, population 275,000. In most big cities, there are certain places you don't go if you aren't white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. The eastern side of town, collectively dubbed "Okieville," was like a white trash haven. These people were born and raised in that city, but wore Dixie stick t-shirts with the arms cut out, trucker hats and had southern accents. So, no, I don't think it's a pre-req, because I have met people where I live now in the south who grew up HERE who sound like they are from California. It's like...pocket groups of cultures a thousand miles away. Very interesting.

I know in the 40's and 50's, tons of people moved to CA from TX, AR, OK, etc. and there is a slough of little crap towns in the desert in so. Cal that are little redneck communities. I guess they just passed the traditions down.
                            Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

What a crybaby.

I stand by my earlier remarks. Of course its an opinion, and if you can't handle it, its *your* problem, and not mine.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between hinting politely at telling someone to f*** off and just plain telling them, to f*** off.
                              Last edited by Ranger1; 09-17-2004, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nanorc
                                What a crybaby.

I stand by my earlier remarks. Of course its an opinion, and if you can't handle it, its *your* problem, and not mine.

And as far as I'm concerned there is no difference between hinting politely at telling someone to f*** off and just plain telling them, to f*** off.
                                You have convinced me that you sincerely believe that there is "no difference." Thus, I will now employ the "Ignore" button for the first time since joining this forum. Congratulations!
                                "That was the law, as set down by Valen. Three castes: worker, religious, warrior."

Comment

Working...
                                X