• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Radhil
    Part-Time Dreamer

• Radhil
    replied
    It'll be Nightwatch if they start giving 'em guns.

That said, this crap scares me. Hell, I wanted to take a picture of a bridge under construction last year. It would have looked cool to my younger cousins. But of course, even I knew better at that point. You'll wanna beware of folk that act interested, or stand out... they're the ones to watch out for....

I'm depressed now. I thought TIPPS was beaten out. But like every other bad idea... it just found a new department.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    Confirmed User

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by thebaron
    I know that I'll more then likely get bashed for this but aside from the topic, shouldn't this get moved to the Off Topic section?
    I would argue to let us see where this goes and if the Nightwatch comparison isn't clear in another post by the original poster, send it to OT.

Which means I agree based on what we have seen, but think maybe I am missing the intent of bakana.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    Confirmed User

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by cruiser
    I forgot...Are you a citizen of the U.S. bakana?
    Can you make this question somehow relevant to those of us who don't categorize opinion by nationality?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    Ship's Surgeon

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    <<Pizza delivery men and post men may be a better group to ask >>

Jerry Seinfeld on postmen: They have the uniform! Can't they do something?!

Leave a comment:

• AaronB
    Space for rent

• AaronB
    replied
    I know that I'll more then likely get bashed for this but aside from the topic, shouldn't this get moved to the Off Topic section?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    Confirmed User

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    This programme is a good example of, if you aim at the wrong things you will miss the target.

There is little evidence that terrorists spend much time on interstate highways but that is where the truck drivers are.

Pizza delivery men and post men may be a better group to ask - they actually go to the city houses, flats and garages that terrorists use to plan attacks and build bombs. However before spending very large sums of money recruiting them, I would check to ensure that the ones who supplied the 1993 and 2001 attacks actually saw something suspicious.

Unless terrorists are not the real target of this programme.

Leave a comment:

• cruiser
    I am the dreamer.

• cruiser
    replied
    I forgot...Are you a citizen of the U.S. bakana?

Leave a comment:

• cruiser
    I am the dreamer.

• cruiser
    replied
    Nightwatch and the Dept. Of Homeland Security have several things in common. That is why it would be easy to say that the One is as bad as the other. But that is not the case. Just because public transportation operators are being trained to look for suspicious behavior doesn't mean that they are going to be reporting seditous behavior.
    As was pointed out in the Time article you posted:
    In 2002 the Justice Department proposed something called Operation TIPS, which would have encouraged not just truckers but also cable installers and mail carriers, among others, to report suspicious behavior. But before the program could begin, it was buried in opposition from the left and the right.
    The recruitment of others was denied by congress.

If it's local neighborhood snoops getting involved in your personal business that your worried about then let's not forget about the Neighborhood Watch and DARE programs that have been around for decades now.

Perhaps Bush Bashing would be best viewed somewhere else.

When I had speech class in college the only banned topic was abortion. But one of the students got up and gave an anti-abortion speech the class became unmanageable and had to be dismissed early. Too many people felt to strongley about the subject to be able to talk about it in an orderly fashion. Perhaps this may be the case with this.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    Confirmed User

• bakana
    started a topic Nightwatch Lives

Nightwatch Lives

The Bush administration never met a bad idea they didn't like. See these links:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8321-1,00.html

http://www.idtrucking.org/archives/n...ry/highway.htm

N A T I O N
    Eyes And Ears Of The Nation
    By AMANDA RIPLEY/LITTLE ROCK

Thousands of truckers, bus drivers and rest-stop workers are being enlisted to spot terrorists. Is this comforting news?

STEVE JONES FOR TIME

I SPY: ôFrom trucks to taxis, school buses to NASCAR.ö ThatÆs the exuberant motto of a program to train drivers like Larry Lawson, of the Central Arkansas Transit Authority, to identify terrorists

Sunday, Jun. 27, 2004
    On a blazing hot morning last week, 75 men and women of the highway ù bus drivers, truckers and van operators ù convened at a nondescript office building in Little Rock, Ark., to be trained as terrorist hunters. The Department of Homeland Security this year gave $19.3 million to the American Trucking Associations, which is based in Alexandria, Va., to recruit a volunteer "army" called Highway Watch. So far, 10,000 truckers have signed on to become amateur sleuths. Over the next year, the goal is to add tollbooth workers, rest-stop employees and construction crews, creating a corps of 400,000 people drawn from every state.

Waiting for the training to begin, Jo Anna Cartwright, who manages the rural public bus system in northern Arkansas, said she had not yet encountered any terrorists in her job, as far as she knew. "We got a terroristic phone call the other day," she said, "but it turned out it was just the boyfriend of an employee." Her bus drivers pay special attention to a gentleman from Afghanistan who recently married a regular rider, she said. Cartwright had come to the training to learn what else she could do.

More on the web sites...

Working...
X