jms on the Babylon Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
    We shall have to agree to disagree about Evan Chen, because I think his music totally destroys Crusade. As JMS said, it may sound great on its own, but it doesn't manage to correspond to what's happening on the screen, and that's essential.
    It would seem that JMS has forgotten why he brought Even Chen in for the soundtrack. The discordant tones of Chen's music were supposed to evoke the alien landscapes that Excalibur's crew were going to visit i.e. the music was supposed to sound alien. Given the purpose, Even Chen succeeded.

Unfortunately, people do not always embrace the unfamiliar, especially when it comes to music.

I find it disappointing that JMS would imply that Chen was not a fine composer especially when Chen was following JMS's directive for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_Fleming View Post
      It would seem that JMS has forgotten why he brought Evan Chen in for the soundtrack. The discordant tones of Chen's music were supposed to evoke the alien landscapes that Excalibur's crew were going to visit i.e. the music was supposed to sound alien. Given the purpose, Evan Chen succeeded.
      Agreed. 99.9% of the time, I thought he captured just the right alien feel for the show.

Unfortunately, people do not always embrace the unfamiliar, especially when it comes to music.
      I'm as guilty of that as most people, however, his music grew on me during my many viewings of Crusade, and it became apparent that his music was right for the show. It just took some getting used to.

I find it disappointing that JMS would imply that Chen was not a fine composer especially when Chen was following JMS's directive for the show.
      Sounds like JMS caved to the A Call to Arms and Crusade music haters.
      Last edited by KoshN; 09-14-2009, 12:44 AM. Reason: deleted redundant phrasing
      Mac Breck (KoshN)
      ------------------
      Warner Brothers is Lucy.
      JMS and we fans are collectively Charlie Brown.
      Babylon 5 is the football.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
        We shall have to agree to disagree about Evan Chen, because I think his music totally destroys Crusade. As JMS said, it may sound great on its own, but it doesn't manage to correspond to what's happening on the screen, and that's essential.

Also, I have to say that I love much of Christopher Franke's Season 1 music. I think the first season is often treated very unfairly - it's incredibly subtle and atmospheric
        I agree on both counts. I can barely stand watching Crusade because of the Chen music, but because of my love for the show, I just have to pain my way through it. Good to hear JMS finally saying that it was a mistake.

Comment

I loved (and still love) the Crusade opening sequence a whole lot. But I think JMS nailed it on the head that Chen's music was "illustrative but not evocative". I felt that it did fine with going with what was on the screen but it didn't raise it to another level as Christopher Franke's music so often did. Think about the times when the actors, or even action, went silent and the show went with the music. I don't think that Chen's music would have been able to elevate a moment that way.

As for JMS "caving" to other opinions, I think, perhaps that after having worked with the music for a season he discovered what he described in the podcast. That's not caving, that's learning by experience.

Jan
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

It would seem that JMS has forgotten why he brought Even Chen in for the soundtrack. The discordant tones of Chen's music were supposed to evoke the alien landscapes that Excalibur's crew were going to visit i.e. the music was supposed to sound alien. Given the purpose, Even Chen succeeded.

That's a wonderful concept, and something I can very much understand. I once wrote an article about how the Gameboy game Metroid II did exactly that, and in fact I'm making a game right now that's based on the exact same principle (using experimental ambient music to create a sense of the alien). I don't think that JMS has given up on the concept, just on Chen's execution of it.

Basically the way I think this went was that JMS listened to Chen's music, and thought to himself "Hey, that sounds awesome and alien, we could give this great artist a shot at Crusade." Then they got him for Crusade, and it turned out that the guy simply didn't have the talent for writing music for individual scenes. At first JMS defended him, perhaps because Chen was one of the team, perhaps because he might still grow into his role, or perhaps because JMS hadn't yet noticed that it didn't really work... as a lot of other stuff didn't on Crusade. (There's a lot of great stuff, and some bad stuff that's due to the studio, but there's also a lot of mediocre or amateurish stuff that can't be blamed on anyone but the people who made the show. I used the word "stuff" too much. Sorry.)

I really think that it was a good idea to hire Chen - it just was a good idea that didn't work out.
            Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Working...
            X