Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeD80 View Post
    I liked the gun pod scene.
    I thought it was kinda overblown but I think it would have been *much* harder to convey the quiet tension of the initial description where targeting would have simply been by eye.

Jan
    "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

So I watched it yesterday, I even gave Jan a blow by blow account of the first 40 minutes or so before I had to pause to make dinner (Phaze hungry, hungry phaze not like tv).

It was ... ok.

Overall impression based upon approx. five years of critiquing stargate for my podcast, I
      Last edited by phazedout; 09-07-2014, 04:45 AM. Reason: keeps cutting post off
      "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

So I watched it yesterday, I even gave Jan a blow by blow account of the first 40 minutes or so before I had to pause to make dinner (Phaze hungry, hungry phaze not like tv).

It was ... ok.

Overall impression based upon approx. five years of critiquing stargate for my podcast, I
        "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

It was ... ok.

Comment

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
            I tried to post i really did, tried creaating a new thread, tried logging out, it STILL cuts it off.
            'sigh, for those who are on faceborg, my review is there
            Last edited by phazedout; 09-07-2014, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Phaze, I think the issue was triggered by a possibly Finnish character you used. Yeah, don't ask me why, but some of us have noticed that symbols and things trigger it. Trying something....

tried t post this repeatedly on jmsnews.com, it kept cutting it off, regarding b5:legend if the rangers movie

It was ... ok.

Overall impression based upon approx. five years of critiquing stargate for my podcast, I [ ] give this a five, a solid five mind you but still a five. The zero g punchy kicky combat scene, while not terrible is stil la little cringe worthy. The effects are, what they were, tv movie level rather than blockbuster level and also a product o fthe time the movie was made.

I acknowledge, as others earlier in the thread have, that it was a pilot, any pilot is going to have rough edges, introducing the crew, having a well loved character form the show it spun off to ease in the transtion and so on.

Good points: G'kar, obviously, light and fun loving with the wonderfully ironic way of speaking and that little twist at the end of every statement which makes you go umm. what?
              The crew held together fairly well, but again, due to a lack of time we only got to barely meet some of the characters. Also David but I did not see any characters with the initials JS, tut tut.

The hand were rather B movie "ohh we are hooded and cloaked, you nkow not the pwoer of us.
              Also a lift form trek? really? today is a good day to die?.

Ahh tiernan, so noble, so driven, so honourable, so brain dead stupid!

G'kar wonderfully put it in his speech before the grey council (one of my favourite bits of the whole thing) "we live for the one, we die for the one, strange how you always seem to focus on the last part of that statement".

So, on conclusion, ok, not great but not as bad as I had been given to tink.

Yes the zero g fight sequences are what they are, an attempt at trying something new, I a sure had we gone to series with it, the whole idea would have been droppedin favour of an eye piece and some butotn pushing.

I thnk it attracted a lot of criticism for reasons cited aboe, B5 was brilliant and we cna even see flashes and aspects of that brilliance in the writing, this felt like an average episode of a good show, soem stand out portions (hell even TKO and Infciton had those) but just not good enough.
              I hope I have made sense feel free to pick my anaylisis apart.
              Phaze
              on the "Sunny outside, I meay venture in to it in order to ingress and further avoid work on my thesis" ID
              Let's see if that works.

Jan
              "Fascism always comes in quietly, holding a flag in one hand and a holy book in the other, inching its way in. The bugles and drums only sound after they've already taken over and believe it's too late to do anything about it." JMS Twitter Dec. 24, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by phazedout View Post
                arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                I tried to post i really did, tried creaating a new thread, tried logging out, it STILL cuts it off.
                'sigh, for those who are on faceborg, my review is there
                Quick tip for the 'posts cutting off' thing. If your post gets eaten by the forum, make a mental note of where it cuts off, press the back button on your browser, which will take you back to the reply/edit window, copy your original post. Go to edit the 'cut off version'. Paste in the version you have on the clipboard, now go find where it cut off, this is likely because of a comma, quotation mark, or other such symbol. Delete this and replace it, re-post... It should now work.
                Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

@Phazedout Was that a 5 out of 10 stars? Would you consider the B5 series
                  a 10?

I dont remember if I've ever graded it, but I do remember how much G'Kar made me laugh! Today, I would prolly rate it a 7 out of 10, for G'Kar and for bringing me back to B5 verse once again.

I rate B5 the series a 12 out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Get over it or fast forward. You, too, Phaze. There - all fixed. Honestly, this is one that I just don't understand people getting so completely hung up over. It's like Byron's hair. For some unknown reason huge numbers of fans seemed to think that just because the teep colony was poor they couldn't afford soap and water and basic grooming supplies. It has *nothing*, repeat *Nothing* to do with the quality of the story. Deal.

Jan
                    Or even better, take a hammer and break the disc into little pieces and then you can make a mosaic out of the pieces, then it would be actually presentable.

I somehow missed all of the hullabaloo about this premiering on scifi, then years later I saw the disc for sale. It said "Babylon 5" I thought, I'll get it for that reason. I feel like my money was swindled from me by labeling something with a known name that ain't it. This is the Joanie Loves Chachi of B5. No it's worse than that.

I salute your adventurousness willing to watch this again, I will not unless I'm ever trapped on a satellite with two small wisecracking robots.
                    "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
                    "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Originally posted by Marsden View Post
                      I salute your adventurousness willing to watch this again, I will not unless I'm ever trapped on a satellite with two small wisecracking robots.
                      Oh dear god, it would make a superb MST3K episode.
                      Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Working...
                      X