Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whyruss
    replied
    I just listened to the Barry White song "My first, my last, my everything" and suddenly I though "hmmm? Why do I know these words?!" ^^ => You're my sun, my moon, my guiding star. I guess JMS listens to Barry White too ^^

Leave a comment:

• Fourmyle of Ceres
    replied
    For now, all I can say is this.
    From upbringing and peers during the formative years, I mistakenly prided myself on the control of emotion.

When I finished "Sleeping in Light", I learned much.
    Jesus wept, as they say, and so did I.

Leave a comment:

• Jay-El
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    Hard to believe, isn't it? It was on November 25, 1998 that "Sleeping in Light" aired and the Babylon 5 saga was completed and the lights turned out by a rather familiar looking maintenance guy.

Ten years is a chunk out of anybody's life. And yet there are still B5 communities like the moderated newsgroup and the JMSnews forums (which began 5 years *after* the show ended!) and B5TV and others.

I've seen many shows that had sites try to stay alive after the end of new episodes and most of them go dead or deteriorate into flamefests or spamfarms after a short period. JMS' assertion that B5 attracts great fans continues to be true. B5 fans form communities.

Thanks to DVDs and rental sites and online availability the show continues to attract new fans. Long may it continue.

Jan
    Hard to believe? Not for me, I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Though I knew it had to end, I thought I'd never see something so beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Here here, Del

Just went back and read your post.

You seem to have it completely surrounded, yes?

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Sleeping in Light

I remember checking the Lurker's Guide in the year or two prior to SiL, seeing the picture of the Giant Space Duck and wondering, "What the hell is that"? But what finally aired was possibly the most bittersweet hour of drama ever seen on televsion - a combination of "Brian's Song" and "Love Story" for the sci-fi crowd. Lovingly written, brilliantly executed, and fondly remembered. Damn near perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger 6 and 7/8 View Post
    PS...one word of advice...watch out for Jan...she has the ear of the Great Maker himself and a following of Narn bodyguards she doesn't hesitate to use...
    Tsk, tsk...now Ranger, don't go trying to fool the new folks in the neighborhood. I've *never* had JMS' ear, I've just caught his eye sometimes with my incessant questions. He really should do something about those loose body parts...

As for these handsome Narns standing here...don't all the telepaths wear them these days?

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Ranger 6 and 7/8
    replied
    I agree with Jan, Del Varner. Very eloquent. I too come from a Trek background. Seen all 11 films...for better or worse.. I like how you gave every scifi show a chance (probably even TimeCop...uggh!) but the cream finally rose to the top. Welcome aboard...and now that you've been properly introduced, give the Silly B5 thread a spin...we are all having a blast...

PS...one word of advice...watch out for Jan...she has the ear of the Great Maker himself and a following of Narn bodyguards she doesn't hesitate to use...

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Hi DelVarner, welcome!

That was very nicely written. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us.

Not to worry about there being a hate-on for Trek here. I don't care for all of them but the original series was one of my major TV loves.

Welcome again. Hope to see you around the threads.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• DelVarner
    replied
    My thoughts

Hey. First post and this seemed like a good place to start.

I remember that period when the B5 pilot movie aired. There were proposed TV series all over. Space Rangers, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Island City (remember that anyone?) and , of course, B5. I videotaped each one as they aired, some I liked more than others.

I liked Babylon 5 the least.

Why? I'm not sure. I was looking forward to it, couldn't wait to see it. But, unlike the other pilots, I knew to expect more out of it than the dumb fun of Space Rangers. Maybe that was it: the aired pilot wasn't really up to what I had expected. Anyway, none of the other shows took off, but when B5 premiered, I gave it a shot.

Ploop. Midnight on the Firing Line was, for me, another dud. Was expecting more (again) and I wasn't grasping it. Plus, I really liked Stewart Copeland's score to the pilot movie and Chris Franke's stuff was leaving me cold.

About seven episodes later, I gave up.

Yet, something kept knawing at me, like I wasn't being fair to the show. And I couldn't understand it, I loved 99% of the sci-fi shows up to that point. I was and am a lifelong Trek fan, but I never compared any of the other shows to it (not consciously). Space:1999, Buck Rogers, Galactica, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - all favorites all of varing quality. Then I started to understand: I liked the format of B5. I gravitated to the "military command structure" of these shows. I just wasn't liking the characters. Still, I gave it another go about 3 episodes before the season finale.

Then it hit me and everything changed. I was looking at it backward; JMS took the format I was used to and turned it on its head. Sure, it had the same command structure as the other SF shows, but in actuality, the human characters weren't as important as the aliens. It wasn't a show about Earth people going on missions and stopping invaders and whatever. It was about the whole alien community and how humanity fit in.

And boom goes the dynamite.

Anyway, the finale airs and I love it. Then I see the previews for the next season (my station ran the last few episodes just before the second season premiere) and I see the one thing that usually sinks a show for me: new lead actor. Like the later Earth: Final Conflict, B5 had an offbeat actor as the untraditional lead (only that show never recovered from the loss). I had just started to like him, but then comes Bruce B. I have to say, I hated Scarecrow and Mrs. King, so I wasn't jumping for joy. But I was hooked on the plot, so I watched anyway.

I have to admit, I liked Sheridan a lot more than Sinclair. Why? Again, the old school Trek fan liked the "Kirk" aspect of Sheridan: the space cowboy. And JMS, being who he is, let me think that was what this character was all about.

Nope. That was just a ruse until we saw where he was going.

The second season really cooked as the Shadow arc took flight and it finally felt like B5 had fired all thrusters. And THEN, the humans got interesting. Sly bugger, he wanted us to get to know the aliens as real people, not gimmicks. They weren't "androids" or "shapeshifters" or whatever. They had names and personalities that changed and grew. We would always have time to get to like a human, that's much easier to do. So now, all was in place and, damn it, I ate my plate of crow with pride.

Finally, after the amazing fourth season ended, I saw the recut pilot. Total difference and I know see how it was robbed way back when. Plus, every scene with Laurel was a totally different take. All of a sudden, she wasn't a crap actor. It became a much better film. I'm still not Franke's biggest fan, but his music is servicable. Until I saw In The Beginning. First, the movie is amazing in how it blends new and old footage seamlessly. But there's that scene where humanity is fighting to its last man, and Franke's music suddenly becomes beautiful. I was sold.

The fifth season was a come down from the packed fourth, but it finally picked up mid-year. I really started getting sad as I could see the series winding things up (and some thing never resolved - a touch a liked a lot).

Then came Sleeping in Light. It aired the same week that Jimmy Smit's character died on NYPD Blue, which was an incredibly heartbreaking episode. This episode was just as moving, as we caught up with everyone 20 years later. It was great to see Ivanova again and get teasing mentions about those who had died in between. I was doing great, until the very - very - end. When we see Delenn waking up every morning to watch the sunrise. And her tender reach, trying to capture what she can of the man she loved. I broke down at that point, because my heart ached for her. I was 100% convinced of the reality of this character and was heartbroken over how she would spend the next however-many-hundreds of years she had left never loving another like she did Sheridan. 20 years sounded like a long time when Sheridan was saved from Za'Ha'Dum, but DeLenn would live another 5 or 10 times that without him.

It was, without a doubt, the best series finale I have ever seen. I have no idea if JMS ever said anything like this, but he should have: "See what happens when you plan shit out?" I can think of a number of long running show which would have benefitted from the same kind of planning.

So there it is, the tale of a guy who gave a show he didn't really like another two chances and ended up living through on hell of a great epic story.

And you know, it is possible to love Trek as well as B5. It's a big universe. There's room.
    Last edited by DelVarner; 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DeMonk
    replied
    Not only was it memorable ... it still is very special.
    I have a set for me and one for lending out. (I couldn's stand the thought of not being able to loose a box but I wanted share Babylon 5 with my friends, so...)
    What usually happens is this: If a friend gets to season 3, season 4 is seldom asked.
    I simply get... "Don't bother... I bought the whole set."
    That's how enjoyably addictive it still is.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Agree with the others, Starstuff. Nice wallpapers.

There were two moments in SiL that made me realize, when I was first watching it, just how special that episode was, and how much it meant to me.

The first was maybe ten minutes into the episode, when I realized that there was going to be no opening credits. I hadn't even considered that such a thing was possible, but I thought it was really great: JMS was saying that anyone watching the show didn't need no stinking credits. We already knew.

The ending credits were amazing. Such a simple concept, but so well-executed, with the perfect score to go along with them.

Then, the Babylonian Productions logo flashed on the screen, and it struck me that this was the last time I would see it "live." From now on, it would be in reruns (yeah, okay, Crusade, but that was not the same thing).

I sat in my chair for peobabl;y half an hour, with the TV off, just thinking about how far the show had come, and how much I was ging to miss it. I've never had quite that feeling before, and probably never will again.

Now, ten years later, I can only say that i envy those who can watch the show for the first time. It won't be the same as watching it over 5 years, but in many cases that is even better. The story flows so well when you can just go from one episodes to the next, without having to get out your VCR tape to try to find that moment in a previous episode that you know was referenced in this week's episode.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Very nice Starstuff. Great start to the day for me.

Leave a comment:

• thegavel
    replied
    Originally posted by *Starstuff* View Post
    Yes, there is. I have been listening to it all evening while making some wallpapers to honor the occasion. I had to fight the tears back a couple of times, especially when looking up quotes.

If you guys are interested, you can check the wallpapers out here. Sorry for the implementation and the many clicks to get them, but my gallery ain't working properly. Hope you like them.
    Cool wallpapers Starstuff,
    Damn, I'm tearing up just checking them out,
    Great work MATE.
    CHEERS
    Gav

Leave a comment:

• *Starstuff*
    replied
    Thanks, Jan

ANd I noticed as well that Franke no longer offers the soundtracks, too bad. But congrats on finding another B5 soul at your job. I am still searching. Maybe I need to convert someone, this seems to be the only avenue left.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Apparently Christopher Franke doesn't sell the soundtracks from his site any longer. Here's a link to some on Amazon.com

Those are great wallpapers, *Starstuff*! Thanks for sharing.

At *last*!! After over a month at my new job I've found somebody who knows and likes B5! Halleluja!

Jan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X