And So It Begins......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And So It Begins......

Well, the rumour machine has begun to kick in. Wonder how long this one will run for. Note the misleading headline.

ARTICLE

What an idiot. He makes it sound like JMS' treatment will take effect next season. And I don't think the treatment and the offer are related.
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

definitely agrement with Z'ha'Dum Dweller

I agree Z'ha'Dum Dweller, There is no way JMS would have even been legally allowed to tell us if it was going to be that soon. You kno wthe legal heads at Paramount would have had his lips sealed tighter than a 500lb woman in a size 3 mini shirt..hah hah (no offense to anyone if this describes your outfit).
      Anyway, from what i understood when i read JMS' post. What he did was submit a proposal. Much like you would in any series work.
      Basically he would have said, "Here is an idea we have had. We know that your top hats have been wondering what to do to bring the series back to glory. We'd be happy to help if you think something along this line might bring it back to the top"

It wasn't like he went in and said "look the show seems to be stuck let me take over and fix it." Though in my opinion it definitely needs if not his direct control, a definite "tweak".

On another point ,I anxiously await him to announce what series he is contemplating taking the EP position on.

Later
      There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against such power, governments, and kingdoms, and conquerors cannot stand.
      WE WILL BE FREE!

Comment

Now SFC.com has a piece in the headlines about JMS' statements. They are a bit clearer on it, but still think his "treatment" was for a brand new series.
        Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Sci Fi Channel's piece:

http://scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main....06/21/10.00.tv

I wonder if Paramount would look at it with more interest or be upset now that everyone knows...
          Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
          James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
            Now SFC.com has a piece in the headlines about JMS' statements. They are a bit clearer on it, but still think his "treatment" was for a brand new series.
            A treatment is generally for a new series. From what JMS said:

Amusingly enough, on the Trek front, Bryce Zabel (the creator of Dark Skies)
            and I got together and wrote a treatment earlier this year that specified how
            to save ST and develop a series that would restore the series in a big way. I
            actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere
            with Paramount, who knows?
            the treatment was for a new series. It was Enterprise that he was offered EP on which was a different transaction from the treatment.

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Slashdot has picked it up off SciFi Wire.

It's like watching an avalanche in slow motion.
              Radhil Trebors
              Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil
                Slashdot has picked it up off SciFi Wire.

It's been fun watching news spread like wildfire ever since JMS started the clues about TMoS. Somebody probably could have done an interesting socialogical study on the phenomenon of "Buzz" from all this.

Be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Paramount these days...<g>

Jan
                "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

remember what Kosh said

[quote]
                  [\quote]

the avalanche has begun. It is too late for the pebbes to vote.
                  There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against such power, governments, and kingdoms, and conquerors cannot stand.
                  WE WILL BE FREE!

Comment

<<the treatment was for a new series. It was Enterprise that he was offered EP on which was a different transaction from the treatment.>>

Yeah, I know. I said and indicated as much in my two previous posts in this very thread. However, I think it's possible that the treatment was for ENT...read this again...

<<Amusingly enough, on the Trek front, Bryce Zabel (the creator of Dark Skies)
                    and I got together and wrote a treatment earlier this year that specified how
                    to save ST and develop a series that would restore the series in a big way. I
                    actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere
                    with Paramount, who knows?>>

The key phrase for me was "restore the series." He may or may not have meant "restore the franchise" but since he didn't, we just have what he DID say to go by. And you can develop a series that is already running. I don't know if JMS would write a treatment for a new series that isn't even on the board at this point (and some speculate won't be for ten years).

I should post the TNG treatment I wrote a few months back about what TNG needed to do to be a better show. Sure, it's Tuesday morning quarterback to the extreme, but still, it was fun to write.

Comment

Was the first item on your TNG treatment to have Wesley shoved out an airlock?
                      "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Comment

<<Was the first item on your TNG treatment to have Wesley shoved out an airlock?>>

You're not far off, believe it or not.

Comment

I hunted down and found the TNG thing I wrote. It's posted at the OT Discussion board.

Comment

Well, for the last month or so, this one has been doing the rounds on various forums. Although, it was not officially confirmed, and many have branded it a fake. It would seem to fit with a JMS idea for a new series though...

From TrekWatcher:

5/14/04

Coming Fall 2005à

STAR TREK: UNIFICATION

Long time Star Trek Executive Producer Rick Berman, just prior to taking a less prominent role in the Star Trek franchise, dropped a bombshell this afternoon via his weekly teleconference. Plans are underway for a new Star Trek series, this incarnation under the moniker ôUnificationö.

With one series midway through its projected run and hints of another film in the works, Berman explains his reasoning behind the announcement.

BERMAN: ôWe (Brannon Braga) have been bouncing ideas back and forth about where the Trek story should for a year or so. It occurred to us that a good amount of the recent content had a sense of the ærecycledÆ. Fans have been antsy about our current direction. It then hit upon us that what we had in front of us was a creative glut. We could go back again, way back to the beginning or a prequel direction. But then it was like painting ourselves into a corner. How to keep it solid and not step on the rich mythology that is Star Trek was the issue truly at hand. The fans simply deserve to know they are being listened to and we have learned from it.ö

ôSo we went, pardon the phrase, where we hadnÆt gone beforeûbeyond the limits of warp speed, the limits of the Federation and the limits of what we thought of and defined as a Starship.ö

ôWe took a long look at GeneÆs [RoddenberryÆs] vision, the Starship as a living community, a vessel with a task to explore, discover and all those other things that made Star Trek Star Trek. He did that twice, back in the 60s and again in the 80s. When you think about it, The Next Generation is what the man would have done if not for the social and technological limitations in which the first series was born. We took the Roddenberry philosophy and pushed it to the extreme.ö

TREKWATCHER: And what does this mean for Star Trek fans? What can we look forward to in a year?

(In a rare moment, Berman gives us a glimpse into the 26th Century):

BERMAN: ôThe premise for æUnificationÆ is borrowed from that Next Generation episode in which Spock is attempting to bring his Romulan brethren back into the fold. We took that little bit of lore and spun that idea into more of an intergalactic-scale scenario. Like Gene wanted in his last show, not to go back to the old stand-bys, but to move forward and expand literally and figuratively into new territories. From that we got the Q, Ferengi and a host of other new beings and places. Later, when he brought back some old favorites, it was done in a secondary fashion. The new guys got center stage. ThatÆs what weÆre doing again. ItÆs an evolution of the galaxy as a whole.ö

TREKWATCHER: What is does this ôevolutionö entail?

BERMAN: ôGone are the old conflicts. Forget the Neutral Zones, Treaty of Algeron, and all that other stuff. ItÆs over. In fact, our story for the first episode deals with this transition. ItÆs out with the old and in with the new. Suddenly, the galaxy becomes at once at lot bigger and so much smaller. Our central theme explores what this new openness means to our characters. We did something like this with Voyager, but only skimmed the surface. This new century brings on a true Renaissance. The mission to explore strange new worlds is really gonna hit home.ö

TREKWATCHER: So the big question is, will there be a Starship Enterprise?

BERMAN: ôOh yes, there will be an Enterprise. And, in keeping with our ideas and GeneÆs, sheÆll be a true community in space. The guys in the art department have outdone themselves coming up with the ship that looks like the vision of the show. When you see her for the first time, you wonÆt have look for a nameplate to know who she is. This Enterprise is going to knock your socks off.ö

(Berman lets one more teaser through):

BERMAN: ôAnd sheÆs REALLY fast.ö

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Talk about flogging a dead horse! At the risk of provoking controversy, I have to say I've found Trek to be truly dreadful in every single incarnation from TNG onwards. It always mystifies me when people slander Voyager, because I really can't see any significant difference between that and TNG. The same Trek problems are inherent in both..... lack of plausibility, infantile story telling, gross simplification of human emotion, over-sentimentalised characterisation. The list is endless!

I remember in the early days of TNG, when Worf had a really hard time controlling his temper. What were the chances of this guy being stuck in charge of a starship's weapons console? Ridiculous! And then there was the simplistic ease with which all kinds of characters seemed to manage to make their way onto the bridge to confront the captain. Has the Enterprise never heard of security?!?! And the worst of all...... the ship's a floating apartment block!!! I mean, c'mon! Sending families into space on the heavily armed federation flagship? Their most advanced craft, that's bound to be first in the line to fight in the event of a war, and it's carrying children on board?!?! Oh yeah, and let's not forget the idiotic premise of "We're all so spiritually advanced that we don't need money anymore. We work out of the goodness of our apple-pie hearts, exploring the universe for the fun of it!".

It was all these sorts of issues that made me love B5 so much. Here, at last, was adult science-fiction. Plausible and three-dimensional. I've never watched anything Trek related ever since, apart from to check occasionally that it's still as bad as I remember.

Ooh, I have to admit to liking Q though. At least he recognised the Enterprise crew for the pompous self-important idiots that they were!

Comment

Working...
                              X