X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoltan
    replied
    Originally posted by oldjoe5 View Post
    It wasn't a request, just simply an arguement of how videos are mostly handled nowadays. But you know this already, a huge amount of videos require xvid or divx. I wouldn't presume to tell people what methods they should use, it was just a recommendation.
    Of course. Poor choice of words on my side (non-native speaker -- gotta love that excuse ). And you're right in the end: I'd use XviD if I made an animation today.

(Seeing xvid and divx written beside each other, reminds me) Those who might still read this thread here's a trivia: XviD is DivX written backwards.

Leave a comment:

• oldjoe5
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
    You can guess what compromises one had to make back in those day on the internet!
    Yeah I know, been "there" since the early 90s

For most people -- my humble assumption due to some experience -- installing something like a codec (even if it's just xvid or ffdshow) is something they don't know or understand (exactly).

Indeed, you might call ffdshow unobtrusive, but even while installing it asks questions with which an average user might be overwhelmed.
    I would argue that internet users in general have a much better knowledge of things today than even just two years ago. Installing things is easier than ever. Click the file and click through the menus until you're done. Codecs today are no harder to install than any application. Of course I must agree with you that users in general don't have an intricate knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes with codecs, but that isn't required either.

I mean non-obtrusive because all you have to do is install them, then you don't need to mind them anymore - they just work. And of course you got players like VLC and Media Player Classic that actually have some degree of built-in codecs.

Please don't understand my explanation here as an answer to a "silly" request of yours.
    It wasn't a request, just simply an arguement of how videos are mostly handled nowadays. But you know this already, a huge amount of videos require xvid or divx. I wouldn't presume to tell people what methods they should use, it was just a recommendation.

@Lemon Wolf: How is the current rendering and encoding going?

Leave a comment:

• Zoltan
    replied
    I guess it has been quite some time since you made them? Quite good animations for the time and the way the scene flows is very on sync with the show.
    Thank you!

Yes, the last one was made in Jan. 2005.

Using video codecs like xvid and x264 not only gives the best quality given what they do, but also the best compression. It only requires a non-obtrusive codec or a codec pack like ffdshow in order to play the videos, the user is pretty much free to choose whatever player he/she likes.
    I started making these animations back in 1999 (only the very latest one are in the FirstOnes archive). You can guess what compromises one had to make back in those day on the internet!
    For most people -- my humble assumption due to some experience -- installing something like a codec (even if it's just xvid or ffdshow) is something they don't know or understand (exactly). When somebody wants to watch my little animation and then I have to explain it: "Ya' know, you actually gotta go here and here first to download the appropriate codecs".

Indeed, you might call ffdshow unobtrusive, but even while installing it asks questions with which an average user might be overwhelmed.

You're not the first one to tell me about how you'd like it, and I understand you fully, since I also have ffdshow installed and play the videos through MediaPlayerClassic -- I like my freedom of choice, just as you. Please don't understand my explanation here as an answer to a "silly" request of yours. But, you and I, we both now a bit about codecs and players (everybody: put up the hands in the room who don't know what x264 means!), while most users would know how to double-click on the Windows Media Player icon (I'm not looking down on such users; just stating the current state as I experience it).

Leave a comment:

• oldjoe5
    replied
    Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
    At the time I made them, I used Bink Video for compressing them (and making it harder for people to copy it as their own work ). Also, at the time only DivX was a viable alternative which would've need to be installed by most people since it wasn't so widespread as today.
    I guess it has been quite some time since you made them? Quite good animations for the time and the way the scene flows is very on sync with the show.

I wouldn't recommend using something like Bink today. In my opinion, using an installer for a video is annoying, not like extracting files from an archive. Using video codecs like xvid and x264 not only gives the best quality given what they do, but also the best compression. It only requires a non-obtrusive codec or a codec pack like ffdshow in order to play the videos, the user is pretty much free to choose whatever player he/she likes.

@Lemon Wolf: Great
    Last edited by oldjoe5; 09-20-2008, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lemon Wolf
    replied
    @oldjoe5
    I am using Lightwave 9.5 aswell so there should be no problems with the scene files

@Morden
    No they did not And i very much doubt that they will ever hear of this

I am still working on the next scene which should take some time due to many effects.

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Thanks for the links, Zoltan. Very nice sequences you did there, the resolution may not be very high, but the effects were done just fine, and you managed to grab the feeling of the space battles we see in the actual show!

Regarding this .exe-thing, I did it now once because I was interested in what you did, but I won't do it again. I like streaming a video or download&play it, but with your files, it came as I thought: installation process, a "do-you-want-to-update"-message once it is started, and manual removal of folders after the un-installing. No offence, you did a great job with the animations, but I don't like the process I need to go through to watch them.
    Thanks anyway!

@ Lemon Wolf: So, has WB already contacted you for supervising a B5-remastered project?

Leave a comment:

• Zoltan
    replied
    Originally posted by Morden View Post
    @ Zoltan: Any chance to watch your animations without having to install something...? Regarding the pics, it really seems to be worth watching what you've done!
    First of all, the links to the animations are all broken at the moment.

At the time I made them, I used Bink Video for compressing them (and making it harder for people to copy it as their own work ). Also, at the time only DivX was a viable alternative which would've need to be installed by most people since it wasn't so widespread as today.

The installer doesn't install any other software, it just to copies the files to the folder of your choosing (so people wouldn't even need to extract files from an archive). The player software (basically an exe and a dll) is already included (installed in the same folder) and removed once the animation is uninstalled.

Clean, easy and efficient.

The files are there on the server though (I can't access the HTML due to some complications) and I can provide the links for you here:

War Without End - Opening
    War Without End - Part 1
    War Without End - Part 2

Arrival of the Centauri Emperor

Kosh's Arrival

Earth Force One
    Last edited by Zoltan; 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
    @ Morden

I haven't thought about that but you're absolutely right - these images look better than TOSR which is embarassing for CBS!!!
    That's exactly what I thought!

@ Zoltan: Any chance to watch your animations without having to install something...? Regarding the pics, it really seems to be worth watching what you've done!

Leave a comment:

• oldjoe5
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    (I don't have anything to add to the thread but I wanted to welcome oldjoe5 out of lurkdom!)
    Thanks! Been a long-time fan of Babylon 5 ever since I saw it on TV, then on DVD repeatedly.

I wasn't aware of the tremendous involvement of JMS with the community through usenet and conventions until I accidentily stumbled across this site. Which I think is a great place for all things Babylon 5.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    (I don't have anything to add to the thread but I wanted to welcome oldjoe5 out of lurkdom!)

Jan

Leave a comment:

• oldjoe5
    replied
    Originally posted by Lemon Wolf View Post
    Which version of lightwave do you have? A quad core machine would definitely speed up things. Thx for you offer in this
    9.5, the latest version. Should be fine using files from older versions as well.
    Last edited by oldjoe5; 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lemon Wolf
    replied
    Hi
    Thx for your kind words. I am glad that you like what i have done so far and i hope that i can provide some more updates soon.

@oldjoe5
    Which version of lightwave do you have? A quad core machine would definitely speed up things. Thx for you offer in this

@Zoltan
    You got me there i havent noticed that error. Thats the disadvantage of using the exculde option under the light tab.

Leave a comment:

• Zoltan
    replied
    Since I've made a few animations myself (check my signature), I know what hard work it is. Would like to see (much) more from you!

One really minor point: In the last animation, the light is falling on the Whitestars from their right, but on the planet it's from their left (perhaps the original was also made like this?)

Leave a comment:

• Lope de Aguirre
    replied
    WOW - OK, it isn't perfect but it looks awesome - I would love to see the series with this kind of effects!

@ Morden

I haven't thought about that but you're absolutely right - these images look better than TOSR which is embarassing for CBS!!!

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Great work, thanks for sharing! Looks way better than e.g. those lately re-done effects for ST:TOS. Man, I'd really like to see the whole series with those kind of effects...!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X