Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If The new project is about the Telepath Wars......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackBauer
    replied
    I know the arc in season 5 wasnt the telepath war. You cant very well have a war between some station personel and a few hobos living in brown sector. But i think the best way to sum up Byron is "dry". I dont think its all his character that makes him this way as it is him personally. I find the scenes just slow and prodding that make me want to fast forward. I dont find him to be a very convincing marytr, and i believe that was the image that JMS tried to convery to us were these ultra desperate people led by this, do at all costs to himself, leader.

Now as for the books, i dont know which of the B5 books are cannon books but if you need a miniseries of books to make your tv show make some sense i dunno.

But not to sound all negative i do respect the fact that JMS tried to pull something together here. We all know the PTen switch over to TNT with season 5 being really a last minute thing. SO in that retrospect, even though the telepath arc was brutal i give mad props to JMS for trying.

Leave a comment:

• B5_Obsessed
    replied
    Sinclair and telepaths

I'm with you. When viewing the Season 1 DVDs, I found I also liked Sinclair a lot more than I remembered. He wasn't perfect, but I also believe he could've improved with time just like Jerry Doyle and Bruce Boxleitner did. You can chart the improvement of actors and actresses with time. On a related note, it took Joline Blalock about three years but she's finally got her character of T'Pol down. Her first two years were just AWFUL!

I also hoped that without all the enhanced expectations, I would like the telepath arc better the second time. I did not.
    Then when I got the Season 5 DVD set, I had a problem I hadn't experienced before- I was looking for an episode I wanted to watch (without jumping to Sleeping in Light).

JMS has stated that he wanted to show Byron and his followers as a cult. In exploring this avenue he made Byron at times unlikeable which, although it happens in real life, is dramatically difficult. Lyta gets indoctrinated (and would have even if Claudia had stayed) but the audience does not. The audience just wants him to shut up, stop whining, and get a haircut. So, while it's important to see how Lyta got to where she ended up, the audience simply can not identify with her.

Leave a comment:

• bulletproofmonk
    replied
    I found that I didn't care much for so-called "telepath episodes" throughout the series ("oh, it's another 'telepath episode'") until I read the telepath trilogy. These books (mainly the first two) really put the struggle between telepaths and normals into perspective, making all of those "telepath episodes", and Season 5, have much more meaning.

And, of course, the whole Byron thing was really important to push Lyta's character along:

--------------------------------
    "I agree the coldness was disturbing, but I feel this reveals the deep emotion she feels at Byron's death and her consequent ruthless determination to achieve his goals."

This was the point I was going for with people who were saying that the Byron thing was totally extraneous. To get Lyta to this point as a character -- remembering her "I'll sue" tirade as the last time she even sorta kinda got mad -- she would *have* to go through the fire, and lose something that meant enough to push her to this point. So you had to let the relationship with Byron go full term, follow it over time, and see what it meant to her to justify and motivate what happens to and with her in the last part of the season.

-quote from jms
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countr...guide/105.html
    ----------------------------------------

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    remember that the whole purpose of the telepath crisis in Season 5 was to make everyone desperate enough that a teep civil war was plausable. In particular, it was to set up Lyta as an avenger who would trigger that war.

So, there may be some flashbacks in a Teepwar movie to help set up the motivations of Lyta, but what happened on B5 was a precurser, not the war.

Leave a comment:

• JackBauer
    started a topic If The new project is about the Telepath Wars......

If The new project is about the Telepath Wars......

I for one would like to pray that if this is the case then it would be a bit better than what was shown in season 5 of the telepath arc. I watched it a while back and didnt really care for it back then...BUT when i rewatched the series i found several things i liked better the second time around. Sinclair kinda grew on me. Seaon 1 wasnt as bad as a lot of people say, and Ivonava isnt that great of an actress. But suffice to say after watching season 5 that the telepath ordeal was as bad a i remember it to be. I attribute a lot of this to the Byron actor and his material. Hes given an incredible amount of screen time but for the most part doesnt do a heck of a lot. He uses the same phrases over again and is just an all around poor actor. The telepath ordeal in season 5 was very boring and long to watch and i hope that the upcoming project doesnt reflect what was presented to us in season 5.
Working...
X