No announcement yet.

JMS Lost Tales/Movie decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funnily JMS refused to do a movie the last time Warner approached him for B5.

I know it was for good reasons but the reason for the small budget for the "The Lost Tales" project wasn't (only) Warners unconfidence for B5 rather than general unconfidence in the Direct-to-DVD format.

So if "The Lost Tales" really exceeded Warners expectation as JMS stated before it shouldn't be too hard to get a movie deal from them concerning B5, should it?
    My UHD, Blu-Ray and DVD Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
      So if "The Lost Tales" really exceeded Warners expectation as JMS stated before it shouldn't be too hard to get a movie deal from them concerning B5, should it?
      From what JMS said at the con in Seattle, the issues with a movie are twofold. First, it's going to have to have a decent budget. Second, he wants complete creative control.

Historically, WB is interested in blockbusters with big name stars and that makes a B5 movie with the original cast a big hurdle.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nazzaro View Post
        I hate to play devil's advocate, but if there was a feature film, it's entirely possible that a couple of those storylines could be explored, or at least addressed. Personally, I think the most reasonable scenario is that when the next Star Trek film comes out and makes a s**t-load of money, the bean-counters at Warner Bros will say, 'Gosh, it's too bad we don't have our own sci-fi franchise that we could exploit!' Somebody digs out a copy of a B5 DVD, and suddenly they realize that not only do they own it, it's also created by the A-list screenwriter who just did The Changeling, as well as whatever big feature projects are in the works at that point. THAT'S when something will finally happen.
        Well, I agree that that scenario could very well happen. Of course, it's dependant on some Warner execs thinking smartly, so I'm not betting the farm on it.

However, I think I've made my peace with the possibility of not seeing any more new B5 material. I hope that doesn't sound defeatist or against the series' message of hope and faith managing, but its just where I am.
        Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
          Funnily JMS refused to do a movie the last time Warner approached him for B5.
          What? Am I forgetting something?

I know it was for good reasons but the reason for the small budget for the "The Lost Tales" project wasn't (only) Warners unconfidence for B5 rather than general unconfidence in the Direct-to-DVD format.
          Warners was already moving into Direct-to-DVD with the Dukes of Hazard prequel. Universal was already putting out the American Pie flicks and Stargate was announced as having two direct-to-DVD features in the works. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if someone was already thinking about the Get Smart spinoff that was released a week after the movie opened. Enough studios were actively investing in the format for anyone to expect that there would be a profit there, it was (again) Warners trepedation towards the franchise more than the format.

Deferrent heads of the hydra that is the Time/Warner corperation.
          Last edited by frulad; 07-14-2008, 02:46 PM.
          Got movies? www.filmbuffonline.com

Comment

Originally posted by frulad View Post
            What? Am I forgetting something?
            From comic-con 2006, shortened version of Jan's transcription:

jms: Anyway, they call every so often and want to do something with B5 and asked ôDo you want to do a feature film?ö and I thought about it for a while and I said, ôNo.ö

WB: ôDo you want to do something else? Whatever you want to do, letÆs do.ö

jms: So I thought about it and I came back to them and said, ôHereÆs what IÆm thinking. When we did Babylon 5, what I liked were the small little stories that we did as æBÆ plots and as short stories. What if we did a whole bunch of short films?

jms: They said, ôOkay.ö We already have a network that wants to carry them, by the way. WeÆre negotiating with them now. In addition to the network who wants to broadcast them, put them on DVD, three per DVD and sell them and build up an inventory of these: Babylon 5: the Lost Tales

Comment

I have to agree with most of what has already been said in this thread, I'm with JMS, he should only do something that he really thinks of as a good legacy of the B5 original show. Of course I would like to see more B5-material, but only if JMS really WANTS to do it.
              And of course, a major movie would still be cool!

Comment

I, for one, am not saddened or disappointed by this development - AND - I think this may actually increase the likelihood of getting a B5 story in a format that would do it justice. Furthermore, if/when that happens, I'm optimistic the end result'll be more opportunities for B5 stories to be done in the form and to the caliber of what's gone before.

Furthermore, for JMS to do B5 'on the cheap' would be a substantial step down from what he's doing now, and as such wouldn't help his career. It would also negatively impact his ability to work with the kind of people he's working with now, on projects every bit as good and interesting as B5 was.

Consider that, when Peter Jackson did LOTR, he wasn't that well known, but after he finished with the trilogy he got the opportunity to develop any project he wanted. So he did. I'm thinking if JMS continues his work, he'll eventually pull off similarly-stupendous epic story, and if he gets a "do whatever you want" option afterwards, we may get some B5 as it's never been done before. (At least, that's what I'm hoping. )

Characters:
                First, the Londo / G'Kar "odd couple" type of play off between two characters has been done before (Spock & McCoy, "The Odd Couple", etc.), so the appeal of that kind of interaction isn't restricted to just them. And if JMS could create one pair of characters like those two, he can certainly do it again with a different pair in a way I'm certain will have just as much appeal as the Londo/G'Kar interplay did.

For me, I keep hoping for a Ivanova-type female character. IMPO, the "Lochley" character was too perfect, and Claudia did a good job playing the Ivanova character with all the challenges that character had. It's too bad things worked out the way they did though, but I'm sure Joe could develop another compelling-yet-flawed female character .
                Last edited by timk519; 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Well, although I was disappointed to see JMS' message in this regard, I can't fault him for making it.

From what I've read, the corporate suits have made new B-5 stories a struggle since "Crusade". JMS has tried with Crusade, Rangers, TMOS and TLT. And they still don't have enough faith to green light a B5 project with solid backing and support for a project with decent production and a decent budget.

I'm sure JMS is tired of trying to "make it work" with a limited budget, pulling in favors and allowing compromises to something he is very proud of.

Hopefully, Warners will soon appreciate what they have and get serious about developing a quality project that adds something positive and substantial to the B5 universe. .

Comment

Originally posted by frulad View Post

Deferrent [sic] heads of the hydra that is the Time/Warner corperation.
                    So many heads that one head doesn't know what the other is doing. I know because I've had to deal with three different divisions, sub-studios and departments for a book project I am the research assistant on.

Comment

I too agree with all the responses within this thread but at this point I'm done hoping for the whole B5 thing to return it's glory. If we get a movie someday that would be great but I don't think it will happen (although I really hope I'm wrong). Most likely we can only cherish the found memories of our beloved show.

There will be something else that will comes along that fills the void and until then I'll just wait and watch for it's arrival. When B5 came along it was a breath of fresh air and it really changed allot of things and that surprised me. So I'll just bide my time and wait to be surprised once again!

Best wishes to all of you who have supported B5, you have allot to be proud of because you all matter, more than you may know.

May the great maker of all things forever smile upon your paths!

Michael Harris AKA SciFiRanger

Comment

I should make the point at this stage that if there is no B5 movie then I am happy with all the stuff ( ie DVDs etc...) I have. I'll always have the memories. ( remember watching "z'ha'dum" for the first time....? )

However........

I just find it frustrating that "firefly" managed to spawn a feature, and so far Babylon 5 has not. Why we have not had a massive budget feature yet is beyond me. Have WB missed their chance now JMS is ''in demand''?

Gad dammit WB execs need to get their heads out their asses and do something quick.
                        Duracell Bunny is arrested and charged with BATTERY!!

Comment

So, with probably no more on-screen B5 in the near future, I wonder where that leaves that B5-related graphic novel project JMS has been talking about since... well, a very long time. I would still be interested in that!

Comment

Wait another 5-10 years and then we will see a feature film without JMS involvement. There is some writer/director out there now who grew up on B5 and will want to do it. It may be done as a "reboot" without the original cast and may even tell the original shadow war story.

I do not think this is a bad thing.

Christopher Nolan with Batman, JJ Abrams with Star Trek (hell JMS wrote a Star Trek treatment), Kevin Smith wrote a Superman movie and Bryan Singer did one, Ron Moore with BSG, even Peter Jackson with LOTR and King Kong.

Hopefully there is somebody out there now, a young creative genius captivated by the tale of this epic who wants to retell it in their own way.

I for one will be first in line to hear the telling.
                            Last edited by Macbeth; 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbeth View Post
                              Wait another 5-10 years and then we will see a feature film without JMS involvement.
                              Not without JMS's permission to do it without his involvement. He owns the movie rights to B5.

Amy

Comment

This is sad news indeed. In some form JMS is right about the low budged thing, but B5 stuff has always done with low budged so i wouldnt mind cheaper CGI if the story is good. Im sure that Warner dont want to give creative freedom for JMS concerning the movie(with old actors) so i think we will never see B5 movie in theatre. And personally i would hope to see new series(cable) more than movie, but hey this is a thing i can't influence.

If Warner doesn't act soon this might be dead stroke to B5 franchise. If Warner decides to put more money on the table everything is going be allright but i dont believe that anymore fully. Still there is a little spark of hope inside me wishing that this would change in the near future.. But so far it seems that this isn't going to happen.
                                Last edited by b5finland; 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X