No announcement yet.

B5Scrolls is now running wild on the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I donÆt know what the content of the script books are. Joe may very well spend pages detailing the work that other people did on the show and acknowledges their contributions with heaps of praise.

But that is not what appears on the internet in general. What appears on the internet is largely created by fans, and too a lesser degree observers of the show (and they base much of what they say on what they see on the internet). That, if IÆm taking a pop at anything, is what IÆm aiming at NOT Joe, but some rather silly fans of Joe who exaggerate what he does and dismisses the contributions of everyone else û except maybe Harlan LOL. But of course, as they associate themselves so closely with the man theyÆll likely see it as me having a go at him. Funny.

B5Scrolls is different. It focuses on other people. If Joe had approached me and wanted to contribute, to be honest I would have declined. The site is not about him.

BUT and itÆs a big but. Because he is so closely associated with every aspect of Babylon 5 I have to make reference to him in either explanations about the site or in questions to the contributors.

With regards to Ron Thornton. DonÆt think that he is somehow jms-bashing either. The contents of that interview. And possibly more importantly the way it is displayed is DOWN TO ME not him. IÆm well aware of the back stories and the history, IÆm also well aware of RonÆs feeling towards Joe (at least some of them) û and theyÆre not what you might think. He respects the mans work immensely. Reading things in black in white terms maybe convenient and easy but not very realistic.

Garibaldis Hair, JoeD80, and Grumbler.
    Your making comments based on your perception of things and, dictionary definitions on what a show runner is, and 15 years of jms quotes. IÆll let you into a little secret û each of you are assuming way too much with regards to what happened on Babylon 5 on a day to day basis. Read the bloody site.

You have opinions. So do I. I posted links to the site to around a half dozen forums over the week-end, and those that have so far responded have opinions as well.

You do not have a monopoly on either the truth or understanding. Read B5Scrolls for what it is. Joe is a very minor part of it (maybe thatÆs the problem from your point of view). See what the contributors say about what they, each other AND Joe did. But IÆm not changing the content, layout or ôverbageö (by the way what does that mean exactly û did you mean verbiage) because a handful of jms hardcore fans feel IÆm being aggressive or bias.

No one else thinks I am, or the tone of the site is, including the 14 contributors to the site or anyone else (outside this particular forum) who have commented on the contents.

YouÆve expressed your views, your entitled to them, but IÆm not changing the content of B5Scrolls so it comes a little closer to meet with YOUR views of what should be said or how I should present it (as you seem to perceive it) in a less anti-jms manor. (read the first question I set to John Copeland, and then look at what your saying.)

Comment

I held my tongue for as long as I could, but I really take issue with this:

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
      If Joe had approached me and wanted to contribute, to be honest I would have declined.
      Dude, you are full of crap. That statement there is a big fat lie, and everybody who reads it will think the same thing. If Joe had contacted you about the site, you would have wet yourself and fallen over backwards to do anything and everything you could to impress him. Of course, the fact that you spend so much time bashing him just makes it that much more obvious and funny.

No one else thinks I am, or the tone of the site is, including the 14 contributors to the site or anyone else (outside this particular forum) who have commented on the contents.
      Wow. A whole 14 contributors to a site. That means a whole lot, right? Oh, wait. It means exactly nothing. Just you trying to impress us. Whoopity doo.

Your site has no value to anyone other than you. I don't think that is a bad thing in and of itself. Everybody needs a hobby. But you're here trolling for visitors on a site that was created specifically for the very person you're bashing on your little site.

Of course you're going to get negative feedback. You're doing the same "look at me! mommy, look at me!" thing you did last time. Now, we're just not paying as much attention to you. Have fun crying yourself to sleep.
      "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

I donÆt know what the content of the script books are. Joe may very well spend pages detailing the work that other people did on the show and acknowledges their contributions with heaps of praise.
        He in fact does mention many other people involved in the show. But the whole point of the book is that they're about the scripts, not the show.

Garibaldis Hair, JoeD80, and Grumbler.
        Your making comments based on your perception of things and, dictionary definitions on what a show runner is, and 15 years of jms quotes. IÆll let you into a little secret û each of you are assuming way too much with regards to what happened on Babylon 5 on a day to day basis. Read the bloody site.
        I made no such comment on how a show is run. I made a specific comment on how Emmy's are awarded, what Jonas was really trying to say, and that you think jms did nothing but nod his head and write.

Comment

Okay, enough. Things are getting entirely too heated and and people are starting to posit unreasonable scenarios that benefit nobody. It's so infinitesimally unlikely JMS would ever approach anybody for the opportunity to contribute to a website that that just amounts to hyperbole.

Folks, anybody is welcome to thier opinions about JMS, about B5 about anything and Triple F has remained polite. It behooves everybody else to remain the same or the thread will be closed.

Jan
          not wanting to play moderator
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
            I held my tongue for as long as I could, but I really take issue with this:

Dude, you are full of crap. That statement there is a big fat lie, and everybody who reads it will think the same thing. If Joe had contacted you about the site, you would have wet yourself and fallen over backwards to do anything and everything you could to impress him. Of course, the fact that you spend so much time bashing him just makes it that much more obvious and funny.

Wow. A whole 14 contributors to a site. That means a whole lot, right? Oh, wait. It means exactly nothing. Just you trying to impress us. Whoopity doo.

Your site has no value to anyone other than you. I don't think that is a bad thing in and of itself. Everybody needs a hobby. But you're here trolling for visitors on a site that was created specifically for the very person you're bashing on your little site.

Of course you're going to get negative feedback. You're doing the same "look at me! mommy, look at me!" thing you did last time. Now, we're just not paying as much attention to you. Have fun crying yourself to sleep.
            I know Omah that it must be difficult for you. Quotes relating to the show that don’t revolve around jms.

The above is truly funny, and thanks for the outburst. I’m going to link a few folks into that.

I don’t know anything about you, and you know nothing about me. But all I can say is I’m not prone to wetting myself or going out of my way to impress someone who writes tv (and now) movie scripts. The word transference does come to mind though, but that’s as close as throwing personal insults that I’m going to go.

You get nothing from the site, fine. Others do.

An what’s this about me trolling. Or only posing on JMSnews to advertise my site (I noticed Jan coming up with the same prod earlier on as well). I genuinely don’t browse the net that much. But if you do a search on my posts on here, I’m pretty sure it won’t be me just posting about this site. At least I don’t think it will be.

[edit]
            I just noticed Jans post above. So what I just wrote ahd nothing to with Jan’s comments. Look, the site has a lot of unique content. I DID have an agenda – I thought it was obvious. Knocking some of the sillier fan generated jms-centric stuff. That’s it.

A couple of years ago I wanted to get some info on the series, and I found it difficult to track down – it was mostly jms yadda yadda yadda. IT’S NOT HIS FAULT, I know that. B5Scrolls was created for people like me who wanted to read something else, that’s all. Really. Honestly.
            Last edited by Triple F; 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Triple F, if linking to OmahaStar's post is likely to bring people over to join in any controversy, I'd ask you to refrain.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

An whatÆs this about me trolling. Or only posing on JMSnews to advertise my site (I noticed Jan coming up with the same prod earlier on as well). I genuinely donÆt browse the net that much. But if you do a search on my posts on here, IÆm pretty sure it wonÆt be me just posting about this site. At least I donÆt think it will be.

Great domain names provide SEO, branding, and a memorable experience for your users. Get a premium domain today.

I can see this and me getting drummed out of here for this. But I’m in the middle of putting a site together. Contributors to the thing include. Ron Thornton Paul Bryant Luc Mayrand Adam “mojo” Lebowitz Larry Bowman Mark Kochinski Jeff Scheetz Tim Earls Kevin Kutchaver I also realise that...

The Babylon 5 Tech-Manual - the oldest and most detailed site concerning the technology, ships and weapons of Babylon 5. ENTER!

Ok. Would you prefer I used the term "spam" in addition to trolling? You're trolling the members here, and you're specifically trolling Joe. You're spamming this site and many others, linked to above. What were you expecting?

Comment

Omaha, I'm not planning to repeat myself.

I'll be the one who decides what's trolling and what's spamming and Triple F is hardly the only person to join us and also post identical items on other boards. His posts and his site are perfectly acceptable as B5 related.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Omaha, I'm not planning to repeat myself.
                    Yes, dear.

Comment

Okay, you can't tell me that you didn't know *exactly* how that post would look with that particular signature!

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                        Okay, you can't tell me that you didn't know *exactly* how that post would look with that particular signature!

Jan
                        Well, I was going to say "Ok, lil sis" but thought this way was more fun. For me.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                          http://www.sadgeezer.com/node/6274

I can see this and me getting drummed out of here for this. But I’m in the middle of putting a site together. Contributors to the thing include. Ron Thornton Paul Bryant Luc Mayrand Adam “mojo” Lebowitz Larry Bowman Mark Kochinski Jeff Scheetz Tim Earls Kevin Kutchaver I also realise that...

The Babylon 5 Tech-Manual - the oldest and most detailed site concerning the technology, ships and weapons of Babylon 5. ENTER!

Ok. Would you prefer I used the term "spam" in addition to trolling? You're trolling the members here, and you're specifically trolling Joe. You're spamming this site and many others, linked to above. What were you expecting?
                          I have no preference one way or another. You say it as you see it sunshine.

Thing is, how else, when you create a site like B5Scrolls, are you meant to let people know about it. IÆm not being funny, if you know of some central depository of information like that let me know.

I realise that the version I released at the start of the year was a beta, I said as much, but that was more for viewer feedback to highlight issues about the way it looked and worked. I listened and changed the menu setup up a bit, made it compatible with all browsers, etc.

This is the final thing. And, not to put to fine a point to it, at the top of this forum thereÆs a thread about useful links to B5 sites. B5Scrolls is not on it. Now that either means, no one here considers it a useful site or forgot about it. Both are fine. I suspect, after all this time, a new site is going to find it hard to be subconsciously remembered along with others that have been kicking around for a decade or more.

As far as jumping up and saying look at me. All the sites that are on the aforementioned thread were created by other people suffering from the same condition, if you want to put in those terms. Your someone who reads things and passes judgement. ThatÆs part of your contribution to the fan community. Fine. Jan does her thing, I do mine and others do thereÆs.

Although Jan and I approach things differently we still both do it through a love of the show. I see her point of view û I may or may not agree with it in itÆs entirety, but thatÆs the beauty of the net. The ability to express and discuss different points of view. IÆm not some hardcore Trek/BSG/ or whatever fan dressed up as a B5 fan taking shots at the show or jms.

As far as spamming goes, I imagine itÆs down to the users of those forums to out me as a spammer or troll if thatÆs how they view me.

An interesting aside is that IÆve got into the habit of apologising about introducing the site to them and realise that just turning up and ôadvertisingö B5Scrolls might be seen as a bit of a spammy thing to do. The general responses are, why would people see it like that and thanks for the link to a great site.

Comment

If you want it in the sticky thread, feel free to put it there, Triple F. There are no requirements for it to be 'approved' or anything.

Jan

Comment

Yeah, but thatÆs the weird thing. While starting a thread like this is fine (to me) popping up and sticking a link to the site on someone elseÆs thread about useful sites, seems . . . I donÆt know, presumptuous. In that I donÆt KNOW if it is useful site û I AM definitely bias on that one û too close even. It just seems rude, or spammy somehow.

Comment

I've just added it in the thread in question. I think it's a very interesting site, certainly worthwhile linking, and I think everyone else is old enough to decide for themselves whether they like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X