JMS - Cult of Personality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ubik View Post
    So, clearly I enjoy much of JMS work, and I consider myself a fan. However, hopefully the above will illustrate IÆm very far from being a mindless acolyte of the Church of JMS.
    BEGONE BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! Wait! I didn't mean it!!!

Seriously, I think the main thing is that JMS created something that allowed us (presumably) humans to form communities. It's a facet of human nature I'd never given any thought to until Delenn brought it up and then, once aware of it, I see it all the time now whether it's B5 or Trek or sports or anything. Definitely a really cool thing, in my opinion.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      ... (presumably) humans ...
      Speak for yourself.

The Optimist: The glass is half full
      The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
      The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

I will only say that I've liked much of his work, B5 and not, but there are other things I haven't seen yet and have no motivation to do so. I went to see Changling in theaters on the strength of his writing it, but if it sounded bad I wouldn't have seen it anyway. I haven't read any of his comics and I'm not about to buy any because I gave up on them years ago, not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with them, I just don't want to spend the money on them. So, he is certainly a factor in my decison to want to see something, but not an overwhelming factor that cancels out genre and form of subject.
        "And what kind of head of Security would I be if I let people like me know things that I'm not supposed to know? I mean, I know what I know because I have to know it. And if I don't have to know it, I don't tell me, and I don't let anyone else tell me either. " And I can give you reasonable assurances that the head of Security will not report you for doing so."
        "Because you won't tell yourself about it?"

"I try never to get involved in my own life, too much trouble."

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          BEGONE BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! Wait! I didn't mean it!!!

Seriously, I think the main thing is that JMS created something that allowed us (presumably) humans to form communities. It's a facet of human nature I'd never given any thought to until Delenn brought it up and then, once aware of it, I see it all the time now whether it's B5 or Trek or sports or anything. Definitely a really cool thing, in my opinion.

Jan
          REPENT!

Haha! Jan, that made me chuckle. Absolutely agree on the community forming aspect of fandom, be it around music, a humble SF TV show, or practically anything that inspires intelligent conversation.

B5 and the forums here helped stop me going stir crazy when I broke my collar bone last year. The cult of B5 fans is a good thing!
          Captain John Sheridan: I really *hate* it when you do that.

Kosh: Good!

Comment

Googled Ford Thaxton, followed another couple of links and found this....

Date: 3 Nov 1994 18:38:47 -0500
            Subject: Church of JMS

Speaking as an atheist, if there is to be a church of jms, then I
            must become its first apostate and refuse to believe in myself (adding
            further insecurity to my life), and nail a whole bunch of theses to the
            front door on the way out....
            Now, I don't know what the '...these' are that he refers to, but I think this sums up his attitude quite well.

http://www.midwinter.com/b5/Usenet/jms94-11-usenet

It's quite a way down though.
            Last edited by DGTWoodward; 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM.
            http://www.lddb.com/collection.php?a...er=dgtwoodward
            Yes, I still collect Laserdiscs!!
            47" Phillips 1080p 46" Samsung 1080p Toshiba HD-30E (2 both Multi Region) PS3-80G 120G BR Multi-Region Maidstone MD-BR-2102 Sky-HD Freesat-HD Pioneer DVL-909 CLD-D925 CLD-2950 (AC3) CLD-D515 CLD S315 Yamaha ADP-1 Meridian 519 Pioneer 609 (DD/DTS) x 2 Speakers & subs Jammo M/S Pioneer Technics Sony Eltax Akai Aiwa

Comment

Originally posted by DGTWoodward View Post
              Now, I don't know what the '...these' are that he refers to, but I think this sums up his attitude quite well.
              "a whole bunch of theses to the
              front door on the way out.... "

...refers to Martin Luther and his supposedly nailing his '95 theses' (theses being the plural of 'thesis') to a church door in protest of the church's policies. So in this case, JMS is saying he'd have to split with the 'Church of JMS' in protest of the policies of the church which, as an atheist, he couldn't believe in the deity...himself.

Easy for him to say!

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

but Jan as our officially appointed high priestess, it's your job to re-educate our lord and masters self belief, the great maker et al.
                Phaze
                on the "I can worhsip at your feet can't I Jan? " ID
                "There are no good wars. War is always the worst possible way to resolve differences. It degenerates and corrupts both sides to ever more sordid levels of existence, in their need to gain an advantage over the enemy. Those actively involved in combat are almost always damaged goods for the rest of their lives. If their bodies don't bear scars, their minds do, ofttimes both. Many have said it before, but it can't be said to enough, war is hell. "

Comment

Working...
                X