JMS - Cult of Personality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
    Is that on the east end or the west end?
    <Kosh> Yes...</Kosh>

Originally posted by glindros View Post
    Just out of curiosity what's pictured on the stained glass windows in the church of Joe?
    Why Buddy, of course! And before you ask:

The Scriptures are the Book of G'Kar.

The vestments are either the Ranger pin or the Army of Light uniform - the committee just can't decide.

The Commandments are:
    We must be kind to one another
    Never Surrender Dreams

Tongue firmly in cheek,
    Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

You do know that you are just a spin-off from the Synagogue of Joe? Our dietary requirements are a little strict, but all are welcome.

If I find out that tongue is kosher in the S of J, I'll plant mine firmly in cheek also.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
        You do know that you are just a spin-off from the Synagogue of Joe? Our dietary requirements are a little strict, but all are welcome.

If I find out that tongue is kosher in the S of J, I'll plant mine firmly in cheek also.
        It's not kosher. It's Kosh-er.
        "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
          It's not kosher. It's Kosh-er.
          Where's a three edged sword when you need one?

Someone put me out of this pun-ishment.

[whisper] Anybody got a ppg?.... how about a bad plate of spoo? .... [/whisper]
          Last edited by glindros; 04-20-2008, 06:49 PM.
          What a wonderful world you live in. -
          Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

Wonderful, Omaha. I actually laughed out loud, cliche though it is.

Comment

In Hartford, Heresford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              ... Everybody knows that JMS lives at 14B Heresford Lane, ...
              Jan
              In Hartford, Heresford and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen.

All I want is a room somewhere
              Far away from the cold night air
              With one enormous chair.
              Oh, wouldn't it be loverly.

Comment

Pah! What a load of nonsense. Everyone knows that the Cult of JMS was originally polytheistic, and the individual lettters were worshipped separately.

- a true follower of the letter J
                Jonas Kyratzes | Lands of Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                  Pah! What a load of nonsense. Everyone knows that the Cult of JMS was originally polytheistic, and the individual lettters were worshipped separately.

- a true follower of the letter J
                  We finally know the true origin of the Minbari affinity for three.

Dan Dassow

Comment

I thought it came from John Copeland's answer when Joe asked if there was anything he could help with?

Mr. Copeland would respond: Just More Scripts.

The rest is history.
                    Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

B5 was and is special. It all touched us, in some way and in our own way. When something like that happens we want to remember it and have it happen again. I've never tried drugs but it's probably like that. And like drugs, after watching B5 over and over again it still is cool but you don't get the rush you did the first few times you saw it. So you want new B5 stuff. So, we keep up here with the hopes that there will be more and we can find out about it. It's not so we can hang on every one of JMS's words.

I've seen people print "JMS is god" and I take that like a sporting event. After a big game the raved fan may say so and so is god too. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with him having a cult of personality.

I'm with other comments from here. In my opinion JMS is a talented writer and I respect him for his talent. Many of the things he had actors say I agree with and endorse, but I don't care what his favorite color is, where he lives or if he drinks coffee. Someday I would love to meet him and hear him speak but I don't plan on getting tattoos of him any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by byong View Post
                        I've seen people print "JMS is god" and I take that like a sporting event. After a big game the raved fan may say so and so is god too. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with him having a cult of personality.
                        I've heard people say that to his face. You're right, it's just excitement. His response is generally "If I was a god I'd have a deeper voice and a lot more hair."

One other point is that there are lots of B5 fans and lots of JMS comics fans but there really aren't that many JMS-fans-regardless-of-what-he's-writing-at-the-moment and I think if there were a real 'Church of Joe' there'd be a lot more of those.

Jan
                        "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          I've heard people say that to his face. You're right, it's just excitement. His response is generally "If I was a god I'd have a deeper voice and a lot more hair."

One other point is that there are lots of B5 fans and lots of JMS comics fans but there really aren't that many JMS-fans-regardless-of-what-he's-writing-at-the-moment and I think if there were a real 'Church of Joe' there'd be a lot more of those.

Jan
                          Maybe you need to step up your recruiting efforts?

Comment

Originally posted by glindros View Post
                            Maybe you need to step up your recruiting efforts?
                            What, and just be an accolyte in the CoJ? I think not! If you hung around the moderated newsgroup for any length of time you'd know that I'm an empress and a goddess already.
                            Her Most Serene Highness Empress Jan of the Babylonian Empire, Goddess
                            of Eeps, Honored Denizen of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated,
                            Transcriber for the Great Maker, Engraver of the images of the faithful
                            and the Great Maker, Archivist of the Sacred Scripts of the Babylon 5
                            Universe.
                            I should take a demotion? Let JMS recruit his own worshippers!

Jan

Comment

Two Questions.

If someone did a write up on jms that included inaccurate or misleading information about him (either deliberately or accidentally) and it was in a publication that is viewed by many 10’s of thousands of people, how would (or perhaps should) most fans of Babylon 5 and/or jms react. Indeed how would he react. Accept it, debate it or try and correct the person or article involved.

Why do you think that some people throw about the accusation of a cult of personality.

Comment

This was alluded to in the thread about whether it was good, bad, right or wrong for JMS to have released the script books as a collectible rather than leaving them available ad infinitum because the information should be out there for everyone to enjoy rather than only the select few that had the money at the time they were released. And probably in other places too.

Speaking for myself, he is the writer that I find most consistently enjoyable, and the one who comes closest to saying the things I like to think I would say if I could write ... in spite of his being an atheist and me an Evangelical Christian. Sometimes, however, his writing does suck (the aforementioned Grey 17 for starters) and sometimes it is just decent and nothing special, but he hits more of the right kind of high notes, in my opinion, than other writers do.

As far as the spin-off stuff (like the books) is concerned, B5 was his idea, his creation, and I will defend his right to handle that stuff whatever way he chooses to do so. He has earned that right ... even if it denies me something I would really, really like to have.

Most of all, I don't know him well enough to get hung up on any cult of personality thing. He himself says he is a pain in the ass and, for all I know, that's exactly what he is, but ultimately that is irrelevant to whether I enjoy his work or not.

After all, from his interviews, Harlan Ellison is clearly a pain in the ass, and I still love his stuff too!
                                The Optimist: The glass is half full
                                The Pessimist: The glass is half empty
                                The Engineer: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Comment

Working...
                                X