Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grumbler
    replied
    Bakana, do you recall whom Ivanova was relieving or being relieved by? Whether it was "morning" or evening?

I can recall some times when Ivanova had to be out of C&C for various reasons (like when she was holding Shiva (sp) for her dad) but in those cases it seemed that the CO took the watch, not someone junior as might be expected.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    I seem to recall a couple of rather "informal" turnover of control scenes.

And, of course, there was the Going to Work Naked scene...

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Originally posted by grumbler
    Or the one shift might be extended if more than eight hours is needed to process the arriving/departing ships!

I don't recall Ivanova ever relieving anyone when she gets to C&C, which makes me wonder if there is more than the one shift she runs. Anyone else remember seeing a "relieve the watch" procedure in the show?
    No, but there were a few "relieve the reptile" scenes on the show. Or would that be "drain the lizard?"

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Or the one shift might be extended if more than eight hours is needed to process the arriving/departing ships!

I don't recall Ivanova ever relieving anyone when she gets to C&C, which makes me wonder if there is more than the one shift she runs. Anyone else remember seeing a "relieve the watch" procedure in the show?

Leave a comment:

• Andrew_Swallow
    replied
    There is a backup control room that we saw IPX using in Thirdspace. They could operate the station from there whilst cleaning the main one.

The dockworkers are civilians and would have to be paid extra for the night shift. Three teams rather than two would only be employed if sufficient ships land to need more than 18 hours a day to process them.

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste
    Yeh, that surprised me when I did the search. I thought he just had never been seen due to the restrictions of budget. Then reading the second message, I wasn't sure. I think it's interesting, though, that the reference is pretty non-specific. Maybe JMS was hedging his bets and leaving room for the future?
    That is what I assumed. JMS didn't want to say, two years into the show, that Atumbe would never be seen, because there might come a time when seeing him would be necessary.

And I saw the Midnight.. ep again just to look for the Ivanova/Garibaldi exchange (it is in the teaser) and it clearly notes that Sinclair turns off his link for only ten minutes a day, and when he does he is in the OD (which Ivanova refers to as "in standby" rather than "shut down" but does note that no one is there, to which Garibaldi replies "exactly!"). This strongly implies to me that C&C huts down for a period each day, which doesn't make sense from a military standpoint but does from a commercial one (fewer shufts = less people = lower cost). Considering that there would have to be a third docking shift as well, telling ships to wait a few hours makes economic sense. There may, in fact, be only a single shift working in a given day.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
    He wrote "seen much." This indicates that he has been seen.
    Yeh, that surprised me when I did the search. I thought he just had never been seen due to the restrictions of budget. Then reading the second message, I wasn't sure. I think it's interesting, though, that the reference is pretty non-specific. Maybe JMS was hedging his bets and leaving room for the future?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    He wrote "seen much." This indicates that he has been seen.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Could this Atumbe be one of the people in the meeting in Convictions? I believe there were a bunch of officers sitting around the table in Exogenesis, too...but they may have all been doctors. And what about the people being questioned in Divided Loyalties?

I say we use a long process to eliminate and choose who we think is Atumbe using the voting system.
    Here's a couple of posts from JMS mentioning Atumbe...

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-12556

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-6574

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    Could this Atumbe be one of the people in the meeting in Convictions? I believe there were a bunch of officers sitting around the table in Exogenesis, too...but they may have all been doctors. And what about the people being questioned in Divided Loyalties?

I say we use a long process to eliminate and choose who we think is Atumbe using the voting system.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger 6 and 7/8
    replied
    grumbler, could the "Shut Down" have been a reference to the time of "day" during which no shipments or activity was scheduled? Since the different governments would have an itenerary of showing the B5 morning and evening it would make sense for there to be a late part that corresponsed to a third shift we use now. For example when I was in the Restaurant business we were open 24 hrs, but had a scheduled time during the day and late at night when business always came to a virtual stop. We use this time to do cleaning, reports, maintenance, etc. that needed done but couldn't be done during business hours for all the traffic.
    Just my opinion from a logistics POV..

Leave a comment:

• grumbler
    replied
    In Midnight on the Firing Line I seem to recall a reference to Sinclair spending a few "out of touch" minutes in the Observation Dome every day to relax - and that the OD is shut down during that time. Later, the Observation Dome became referred to as C&C, so I believe it shuts down daily. Note that it is a reader (Brent) who says Atumbe "works the night shift" and not JMS. I would have thought the next-ranking officer on Babylon 5 would not be part of the operations staff, but rather the weapons officer, enginering officer, maintenance officer, or the like. That would also answer the question about why Atumbe does not appear as part of the War Council - he would have no expertise specifically suited to the AoL, and would be focussed entirely inwards towards the station itself.

Leave a comment:

• bakana
    replied
    I believe the Shutdown was mentioned as something like One Hour per Week or some such short period.
    For cleaning & maintenance.
    What was being cleaned and maintained wasn't mentioned, Bo & Mac not being in that episode.

Which, of course, made Sheridan's timing even More ironic.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    I don't remember a reference to this character.
    The main time I remember was when Ivanova leaves C&C in...Eyes, I think, and asks the crew to contact him/her to take over.

And...isn't it suggested that C&C shuts down at night? That never made sense to me, but it is there nonetheless.
    They do shut it down at certain points but I can't remember if they ever specified exactly when. It was during that down time that Sheridan finished giving his 'good luck' speech.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dr Maturin
    replied
    I don't remember a reference to this character.

And...isn't it suggested that C&C shuts down at night? That never made sense to me, but it is there nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X