Need help finding a possible jms quote - cgi related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
    Your not really getting this. Creating the basic model (once conceptualised) is actually the simplest and least complicated bit of the process. Its a doddle - seriously.

ItÆs the other areas which you are essentially dismissing as easy and can be automated!!!!!!!! that involve the real artistry, time and therefore cost in creating a new hi-def (or otherwise) version.
    Okay, I will take you word for it. Secretly, I can model easily if I can retexture fairly easily.

Whatever. I am done with this discussion, and you are free to tell everyone "the truth" without any objections from me.
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Ohh crap, I didnÆt realise you where going for the secret approach. Hell, literally half the models on that site were created with a piece of software designed for creating 3D web logoÆs. If I had something like lightwave they would have looked a lot better û thing had no decent lighting

I canÆt argue with you on this though. What a bunch of halfwits (who ever was responsible for the loss), they really are.

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
      For HD, however, the CGI would have to be rerendered wholesale to get textures that looked acceptable. That still wouldn't have been a problem if the original models and movements had been preserved.

Comment

Except 15 years worth of advances in computer technology and software development.
        I'm sorry, but where did JMS ever say the plan was to re-render the scenes 15 years later, specifically? We're getting into completely moot points now: it would be very easy to re-render the original CGI elements now, 15 years later, but they don't exist any more, and probably wouldn't hold up with out significant re-working in terms of better models and textures. This has become circular discussion.

Comment

Re. Re-rendering.
          We never had a plan to rerender the VFX footage - rendering takes time, resources and consequently $$ - it's always a question of who is paying for it. You know the old adage - There is no free lunch. Well there is no free rendering, either.

The big mistaken assumption here it your phrase - "when the time came to produce the show on video/dvd"

The show was already produced. We didn't have anything to do with the creation of assets - outside of being interviewed or in the case of Joe and some of the cast doing commentaries for the eps. It was all up to Warners Home Video. You have to understand that Home Video Divisions - up until quite recently - have never been ones to pay for anything in creating Home Videos - they get the show from the Studio - decide what the packaging is going to be and then put it into production. With the case of the DVDs - as consumers were used to getting more material than just shows - they do interviews - usually with feature films, they include trailers and electronic press kits that were done as part of the publicity for the the film when it was initially released. So Warners did - because of Doug - do interviews and create some additional materials for the DVDs. But as far as going back and creating new elements for the episodes and then cutting them in, etc, etc - they just aren't used to doing that. They are just interested in getting them made as inexpensively as possible and then releasing them.

In fact the 16x9 versions, Warners had even forgotten that they had those. They used PAL versions and converted them to NTSC for the US market. They actually didn't go back and retransfer the shows.
          Is this a quotation from John Copeland? What's the source?

The statement, that a PAL master was transfered to NTSC for the US DVDs seems a little bit weird for me. There are differences between the RC1 and RC2 DVDs, many scenes were cropped in different ways. It doesn't look like the same master was used.

Comment

Yup, it's from John and the source isn't on-line yet - that was a preview so to speak, so you can (of course) discount it as you essentially only have my word on this right now.

As for the differences - no idea, I haven't seen any but the region 2 versions. Though, taking a guess, some trimming or cropping might have been carried out while creating the US version from the European.

Comment

Working...
            X