Season 4 intro / Charles Dickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 4 intro / Charles Dickens

I wonder if anyone has noticed the similarity between the season 4 opening and the beginning of the book A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.
    Would be interesting what JMS said about this - perhaps he already has (Jan jump in here plz ^^). Anyway - here is the Dickens piece:

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

I can't find anything about that in his posts, Whyruss. In Script Book Volume 6 there are several memos about the construction of the Season 4 title sequence and there's nothing there, either.

That said, JMS has definitely cited Dickens as being an influence and he quotes Dickens a few times in the series so I wouldn't be suprised if the sense of the passage you quote might not have informed the feeling he was looking for in the sequence.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I too love Dickens, and noticed its similar structure. It's not a uncommon style. Bipolar comparitable statements can be traced back throughout literature. It's means of bring perspective seems to be a tool that is universal for humanity regardless of the century it's used in.
      What a wonderful world you live in. -
      Yeah, well, the rent is cheap, the pay is decent and I get to make my own hours.

Comment

Working...
      X