Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HereÆs a thing most B5 fans should find a little interesting at least.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HereÆs a thing most B5 fans should find a little interesting at least.

IÆve updated the site that I put together a while ago.

It now contains a fair bit more writing on it from a number of contributors. ItÆs clearly not finished, and the format of the site is creaking a little under the weight of the various new content, but as I need to take a break from it for a while (to deal with some real life stuff) I decided to post it up now.

IÆm still in the middle of talking to a few people (as well as the current contributors) including a couple of those behind the Legend of the Rangers and the new Lost Tales, as well as a few more connected to B5 & Crusade in various ways. So there is quite a lot of things still to add to it.

As before Mac users have no chance of viewing it (Opera & Safari). IE and Firefox should run it as should Netscape (with the IE emulator turned on for the window your running it under).

http://ftp.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm

Anyway, any thoughts? Anyone in particular that you think should be on it thatÆs not already there, anything that you want an answer to?

Hell, is it interesting?

I like it a lot. Not being much into ships, I was drawn to the interviews and concept art.

I was a little concerned about it loading on my dial-up system but the wait wasn't bad at all.

One minor criticism. Is it really necessary to have the arrow to return to the menue system? What's wrong with the good old 'back' button on your browser? It'd save you a page having to explain it in each section.

Nice work.

Jan
    "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

You canÆt back page via your browser as it is all on the one page (itÆs the way I designed it û clever me - not) so the content just changes within the single page. Believe it or not I'm on dial up as well so can't really appreciate my own bloody site - now thats irony.

On the ship page (at least the gold coloured ships) thereÆs quotes attached behind the ships. Some do relate to the ships but others cover a pretty wide range (albeit mostly design related) subjects.

The next batch of people to be included in it should expand the range of content a bit more (Everett Burrell and the like).

Comment

Oh. It's all in flash. Well nevermind that, then. I refuse to visit flash-only sites. It's bloated, useless, and a pain in the ass to use.
        "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

I'd love to have a look, but I am on a Mac here. Maybe from work on Thursday. There we still have evil Windows
          It's easy to find something worth dying for. Do you have something worth living for?
          Rule TwentyNine (Blog about B5, politics, environment and much more)

Comment

Very cool. I've only visited a few of the ship pages but I really like the content from the designers.

My only caveat is that it would be nice to be able enlarge the print so it's easier to read.

So far so good and again nice site.

Comment

You have some amazing content on there. I have browsed your site before, and with the extra info direct from the source it's really nifty resource. The one caveat I have, and please don't take this the wrong way, is that I feel your website design is doing a disservice to all the neat content you have there. A lot of this could've been presented more cleanly and intuitively I feel, and the way you've chosen to build the interface just doesn't really work for me. I can appreciate the work that must have gone into it, but I think a cleaner website, both in terms of presentation and code, could really help. Again, it's only because you have some cool stuff on there that I kind of regret the fact that it is kinda hard to get to some of it.

Comment

Ok, had to come out of lurker mode for this.

Let me preface by saying, I respect what you're trying for. I respect the effort. I really do. Hell, you dont see me putting up a website. But that said...

Standards guy! Standards!

You're cutting out potential audience right off the bat.

Seriously? I havent seen a website NOT work with a mac since well.... B5 was on the air!
                It's their time... Their time, up there. It's our time... Our time, down here.

Comment

Originally posted by OmahaStar View Post
                  Oh. It's all in flash. Well nevermind that, then. I refuse to visit flash-only sites. It's bloated, useless, and a pain in the ass to use.
                  Who said it's a flash only site. I ever siad that. There's animated ships in flash on the rop left of the screen.

THATS IT.

Everything else is NOT flash.

As for the layout. Couldn't agree more. The original "design" was never put togther to hold this variety of info. The two main places for it are the Extras section and that little blue button when viewing the "gold" ships". I didn't have time to redesign it. But if (or when) I revisit it, that will be the first thing to get ripped out and changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple F View Post
                    Who said it's a flash only site. I ever siad that. There's animated ships in flash on the rop left of the screen.

THATS IT.
                    I visited the link you gave. It was entirely flash. I left immediately. You've already eliminated all Mac users, and then to compound it by using flash ... well, it's your site. You make what you want of it with the visitors you've chosen to receive. It's a shame, though. My opinion, only. Make of it what you will.

Comment

Interesting.

What would you suggest as a way of showing animated content that does not require the loading of video codecs. Because if that was required I imagine a lot more people would be unhappy at having to do that in order to view the site.

Comment

Interesting.

What would you suggest as a way of showing animated content that does not require the loading of video codecs. Because if that was required I imagine a lot more people would be unhappy at having to do that in order to view the site.
                        Dunno, I don't have videos on my site. I also have nothing in flash. As I said, it's your site, and you do what you want with it, but you've already forbidden any Mac users from accessing your site, and you've driven away those who won't use flash.

It may not sound like a lot to you, but in my site's statistics, 24.7% of the visitors are Mac users.

I've said what I felt the need to say, and I wish you only the best.

Comment

The truth of the matter is that the different browser interpreters have some very unnecessary differences. Your right I should (and probably will with the final version) make it viewable in them all. But in doing that IÆll have to most likely remove some of the few visual bells and whistles that are left in order to make it fully compatible.

ThereÆs probably ways round most of the syntax and performance limitations of the browsers (including Opera) that will allow some nice visual effects. But frankly itÆs to bloody annoying to have to play the games that they decide to impose on site developers who want to display things a bit differently form 99% of the sites out there.

IÆm sure you came across the same sort of decisions when creating your own site. As far as flash is concerned. ItÆs necessary because of (some of ) the content.

Comment

The only alternative I could think of would be something like Silverlight. But Flash is fairly ubiquitous (even my Linux box runs a pretty decent, up-to-date Adobe provided implementation of flash), Silverlight absolutely isn't. I suppose you still have Java applets, but Flash is pretty lightweight compared to the JVM that needs to kick in when you open a site with an applet, and you really don't want to use applets unless you really need 'em.

Omahastar's complaint notwithstanding, Flash is probably the best platform for interactive content delivery today, and has in recent years become probably my favourite platform for embedded multimedia. (dunno if it's in the currently public version, but I know they announced a while ago that the then future version would have support for h.264, putting it on par or beyond any of the dedicated video embedding solutions (usually WMV or QT these days, sometimes Real))

The only bad thing about flash is that it sometimes encourages bad website design, a pretty good example actually being the current official WB B5 page. But I don't think any problems with this page are tied to the little flash ships in specific. There is an over reliance on javascript to get one page to do probably too much though. One of the results I guess being that, despite the fact that flash is a pretty small part of the pages, since they all get created by these javascripts and the scripts check on flash, the entire page fails without flash. I probably would've split the website up more, or used some server-side scripts (e.g. PHP) to achieve some of the dynamic page generation you seem to have going there.

Comment

The truth of the matter is that the different browser interpreters have some very unnecessary differences.
                              No sir, the truth of the matter is that Microsoft decided to ignore the Web standards that every other browser respects.
                              They wanted to make a lot of the web compatible only with Internet Explorer (this was actually part of their strategy to push Netscape out of business), and given their dominant position on operating systems they got away with it.
                              They were so effective in making websites incompatible with standards-compliant browsers that Microsoft itself has had problems making new versions of Internet Exploder compatible with sites programmed to look good in prior versions. At least they're trying to make IE8 standards compliant, and Microsoft is paying for their non-standard past.

ThereÆs probably ways round most of the syntax and performance limitations of the browsers ...
                              Yes, Eddie already said it one word:

Standards

Web standards. HTML and CSS standards.
                              Is not that the browsers have performance limitations, but that making websites for IE limits functionality for others.

Although I don't love Flash that does not bother me much, but I refuse to visit a site that forces me to use a browser and an operating system that are not my preferred choices. Fact is, I'm seriously considering cancelling some bank accounts because the bank's site only works fully with effing Internet Explorer.

Whenever you get the time to upgrade your site to display well in standards compliant browsers I'll check it out.

In the meantime, good luck with your real life stuff.
                              Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                              James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

Working...
                              X