Censoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Censoring?

I know that other countries censor television a lot more than we do here in the good ole USA. Does anyone from the UK or Canada know if and how much was edited in some episodes? I can think of a few scenes that were sure to be looked at with raised eyebrows.
    Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

I remember reading a bit in the Lurker's Guide where in the episode where Vir runs into G'Kar after the fall of Narn. Vir apologizes, G'Kar slices his hand and counts off the dead as his blood drips and tell him to apologize to them. The shot where he explicitly cuts his hand was cut out, with the rest of the scene intact.

Most of the editing over there is for violence - any censoring would follow along the same lines of cutting around the actual act of injury, I think. You can probably extend that out to figure out which episodes from there.
    Radhil Trebors
    Persona Under Construction

Comment

Sounds about right. But don't they have more freedom when it comes to nudity and stuff? Hmmm...I wonder if there is a better version of the Lyta/Byron scene.
      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Well in up here in Canada there's much, much, much less Censoring then there is in US. It always makes me shake my head when I watch a movie on one of the big three US networks or TBS and find that it's censored to hell and every time someone cruses the words are changed and forget seeing any skin that would be really bad on a US network.

As well when you see a unrated version on the cover of a DVD most of the time for us it's just the version that was shown in theater so there's no diference.

I'm just wondering how you can say other countries censor television a lot more than we do here in the US, ya compaired to Iran your right but most every were else is so much easer when it comes to Censorship. Just to give a few examples all the major Canadian networks show nude sceans, in most european and south amarican countries sex sceans are common on daytime TV (soaps), and in Japan there nude sceans in cartoon (I don't meen henai). The truth is that the US his one of the most striked when it comes to censorship.

Marco
        The avalanche has already begun it is to late for the pebbles to vote.

Comment

The US is way less strict when it comes to violence. I will read deals on Us shows that air in the UK and how this or that was edited. I think violence is more important a tool in storytelling than nudity, so we're probably better off in the US. If I want nudity, I'll stay up late and turn on Skinemax or pop in a midnite movie.

Comment

Either can be useful in a story, really. Or as background. I've seen cases of each.

Both are rather stupid hangups to base censorship on, in my opinion.
            Radhil Trebors
            Persona Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Radhil
              Either can be useful in a story, really. Or as background. I've seen cases of each.

Both are rather stupid hangups to base censorship on, in my opinion.
              Personally, I'd prefer to see *more* violence, only make it real. Show actual consequences, from bruises to broken limbs and slow agonizing deaths. Maybe then people would realize what violence really is - painful and ugly, not dramatic and easily recovered from.

Jan
              "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Censorship context

Just a clarification: Brazil is the most liberal South American country when it comes to TV.
                Maybe the only one actually.
                Daytime soap operas from other Latin American countries are rarely that liberal and won't show nudity.
                Spanish language US TV (e.g. Telemundo) shows some Brasilian soap operas... censored, with nudity edited out or blurred (when there's no way to cut the scene I guess).
                Mexican soap operas (telenovelas) are quite puritanical, as much or more than USA TV.
                A few years ago the mere mention of drugs was unthinkable in Mexican telenovelas, that has changed.
                Swear words were also heavily censored in Mexican TV, until a few years ago, now they are common, interestingly those are beeped out when those programs are shown in the US... (I'm thinking for example of a late night talk show, copied from Leno/Letterman, but not as funny called "Otro Rollo" that is shown in Univision. For that one some words that aren't swear words in MÚxico are beeped out because they are rude in some other Latin American countries...)

I also think that film violence is usually glamourized. That's why the opening scenes of a film like "Saving Private Ryan" was so shocking (remember they said in the TV news that veterans might want to be careful or skip it because some veterans had been so shocked by the realism of the D-Day scenes they had flashbacks?), and also part of the reason that Mel Gibson's "Passion of the Christ" was so controversial.

And for US censorship context: remember when married people's rooms had to have two separate beds?
                Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

<<Mexican soap operas (telenovelas) are quite puritanical, as much or more than USA TV.>>

And they are absolutely the most stupid shows ever! Terrible acting, bad production, choppy editing...my old lady watches them every single night. The one she's on now is about a drug family and old lovers trying to reunite or some such.

Comment

Yeah, there's alot of censoring goes on in the UK! Usually violent deaths from the likes of Buffy / Angel. Channel 4 (the station that showed B5) is notorious for it too... However, Irish TV edits nothing! (probably cos theyre not professional enough..lol) And Irish TV is also great for getting shows ahead of the major UK stations...
                    One annoying thing was Channel 4's showing of B5, season 5... They showed it on breakfast TV, and had a huge clock at the bottom of the screen, in bright pink, for the duration of the episodes...grrr!
                    I've got my head stuck in the cupboard

Comment

Hrm... channel 4 in the UK is also quite notorious for showing all manner of things after the 2100 'watershed'.

Sex, violence, whatever...

Prior to 2100 however, things get quite seriously hacked. Most entertaining example I saw was Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge declaring to the general that the exercise was a 'cluster flump'.

C4 did show B5 season 5 at a more reasonable time and I cannot recall any major 'edits'.

Comment

Nah, I'm sorry I have to disagree. I've seen TV on both sides of the Atlantic and the US censors sooooooo much more than the UK. Can't think of (and don't want to) specific example to quote but it's always been my experience that the UK censorship 'rules' are much more liberal (small 'L') than the US but not as much as someother EU countries......IMHO
                        Where are we going? And why are we in this hand basket?

Comment

If you think Mexican telenovelas are terrible you've never seen one from Venezuela or Colombia....
                          My wife also watches telenovelas. I know your pain Z'ha'dum Dweller.
                          Believe it or not they were even worse.

Makes me wonder if there ever was a Latin American dubbed edition of Babylon 5 and how it would have been censored or modified in language (the dubbing would have been terrible most likely, a flat delivery with more emphasis on enunciation than emotion, narrating more than acting).
                          Better not to know...
                          Such... is the respect paid to science that the most absurd opinions may become current, provided they are expressed in language, the sound of which recalls some well-known scientific phrase
                          James Clerk Maxwell (1831-79)

Comment

<<If you think Mexican telenovelas are terrible you've never seen one from Venezuela or Colombia....
                            My wife also watches telenovelas. I know your pain Z'ha'dum Dweller.
                            Believe it or not they were even worse.

Makes me wonder if there ever was a Latin American dubbed edition of Babylon 5 and how it would have been censored or modified in language (the dubbing would have been terrible most likely, a flat delivery with more emphasis on enunciation than emotion, narrating more than acting).
                            Better not to know...>>

I am glad I have 4 TV's in the house. She hates B5 and DS9 and anything else I watch, but literally gets giddy when some old woman drops to her knees, shaking with emotion when she finds her son dead on the floor or whatever. Then there was the one where this lady killed her husband with a pair of scissors and the camera zooms and zooms and zooms in on her face, and not steadily. Man, they are years behind in TV production. Wait...Univision is a US company. Do they shoot those in the States or south of the border? Probably both.

About 80% of the women I've dated have been Hispanic, and I've learned that stuff like sci-fi is largely considered "silly" in their culture. Not like Hispanic-American, but like people that are actually from those countries. This one chick about 5 years back I was dating from work had just moved here like a few years before and one night at my place I was watching a new ep of DS9 and she could not believe I was actually watching it. She laughed and got up to turn it, and I was like, "hey, back off, baby, this is DS9!" All a matter of perspective, I guess, because I think those circus shows like Super Sabado or Sabado Gigante are silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Z'ha'dumDweller
                              The US is way less strict when it comes to violence. I will read deals on Us shows that air in the UK and how this or that was edited. I think violence is more important a tool in storytelling than nudity, so we're probably better off in the US. If I want nudity, I'll stay up late and turn on Skinemax or pop in a midnite movie.
                              Really?? I don't think so, many is the time that I watch as whole sceans are cut out of movies just as there geting violent. As for the shows in the UK I'd have to disagree again I'v seen this spy show that made me change the chanel is was so violent (I get sick just thinking about it).

I don't want to come off rude but you are flat wrong when you say that sex and nudity is less important to a plot than violence. Sex and neudily show a much more broder range of emotional divelopment then violence ever will. Violence only shows hate and anger, scean involving sex (I don't just meen the phisical act but the intention or what might be called the sexual content) can show much more than love, pasion or lust.

Casse in point is in the last season of Buffy (or was it the second last?), Spike tryed to rape buffy, true there was a "struggle" between them but if was for more sexual in nature than an actal combat scean and it showed but more emotion than any fight scean could have.

**this has nothing to do with your post just feel the need to add this**

Further more I just like to say that any censorship of any kind is IMO vary wrong, weather it be execs. changing a script so make it more "hip" or the cutting out of sceans or words that someone feels is unsutible for the public, to change anyones ideas is to change what they intened impact or meening to the audenc (sp?). The only form of censorship that is needed if the remote if you don't like something don't watch it or read it or listen to it it as simple as that.

/rant off
                              The avalanche has already begun it is to late for the pebbles to vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X