No announcement yet.

B5 Movies on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACtA was a B5 TV movie that happened to setup some of the back-story for Crusade, but it wasn't a part of that series, and there would be no reason to include it with the Crusade set. (It didn't even feature the series lead for Pete's sake, and obviously - as JMS has repeatedly said - was not a pilot.)

And certainly the Crusade set is coming. They've already produced some of the extras for it. (Including JMS's commentaries, although Warner Bros. is reportedly nervous about his candor regarding TNT and has asked him to re-record them - which he has refused to do - or see them dropped.)

The Rangers pilot will be released separately, per JMS, as it is not really of a piece with the other TV movies.

The "karate" weapons system was a last minute on-set improvisation when it proved to costly to build the spherical weapons system that JMS has originally planned. (And he refused to go back to a "sit at console and push a button" SF cliche.) I wonder if any of us could have come up with something better under those circumstances.

The system almost certainly would have been changed back to JMS's original idea if the series had been approved. If that's all you can see in a 90 minute movie that set up new characters, new conflicts and new mysteries in the B5 universe then maybe you were focusing on the wrong things and missed the point of the movie. Perhaps on second viewing those of you who reacted so strongly to the weapons system will be less distracted by it and able to pay attention to what was actually a pretty decent pilot - arguably better than the original version of The Gathering from what I've read, and better than something like the Voyager pilot, for all that it cost about ten times as much.

Regards,

Joe
    Last edited by Joseph DeMartino; 05-23-2004, 08:32 AM.
    Joseph DeMartino
    Sigh Corps
    Pat Tallman Division

Comment

I've watched it a number of times over the year and still don't think it can hold up at all to The Gathering in terms of what it establishes, the wonder it created, the plotline and at the time unique special effects and the chemistry between the cast members. Not to mention the fact that The Gathering had to set up a whole new universe; LotR had much less to set up and still, imho, failed. Any number of viewings I've given it in the previous years (every time it's on Sci-Fi) hasn't done anything to change that opinion... in more ways then one it's made me more bitter about the whole thing, I think.

But that's only my opinion.

Comment

Z'ha'dumDweller Thanks for the heads up on B5:LoTR on Sci-Fi Channel on the 21st, wrong continent however.
        Where are we going? And why are we in this hand basket?

Comment

<<Z'ha'dumDweller Thanks for the heads up on B5:LoTR on Sci-Fi Channel on the 21st, wrong continent however.>>

I've been online for 6 years now, and I still forget that it's an international community. Sorry.
          Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

Amazon finally have the final dvd cover on its site

Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

I would have loved to see LOTR go to series I for one have more than enough confidence in JMS that he could have made a great series out of it. I think the people who bitch about LOTR are the same crowd who hated Cusade. In fact they would hate anything new JMS did because it doesn't have the characters they know. And they aren't willing to give it a chance.

They are the same crowd who couldn't stop talking about something as small and utterly insignificant and totally fixable as the "karate weapons system". They are the same crowd who saw nothing worthwhile about season 5 because of no Claudia.

Why these people can't just wish the B5 universe well and give things a chance and stop attacking everything that doesn't fit there greatest expectation I will never know.

And they also are the same people who will also complain about TMOS when it comes out. Trust me this crowd won't like it they don't like anything new.

Comment

Just curious, but what were the differences between the original and new cuts of the Gathering? I've only seen one.

Comment

I think the people who bitch about LOTR are the same crowd who hated Cusade.
                  Actually, I know at least a handful of fans who are _rabid_ about Crusade and still hated LotR. I think you nailed it more accurately with your later statement about them not willing to give it a chance. When people complain about LotR, I like to remind them to revisit how they felt about "The Gathering" at the time. I think that, as pilots go, "Rangers" was _far_ stronger than "The Gathering," and look what series came from "The Gathering"! Sheesh, people.

Aisling

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger1
                    Amazon finally have the final dvd cover on its site

I like the cover, but it's wrong ... Susan never appeared in the EarthForce uniform in any of the movies. Garibaldi appeared in the Gathering, but they are using the series uniform on the cover, not the Gathering uniform .... And Londo ... should be bigger, more front-and-center.
                    "Jan Schroeder is insane" - J. Michael Straczynski, March 2008

The Station: A Babylon 5 Podcast

Comment

That's kinda funny, yeah. Garibaldi is obviously from the Gathering, since he still has his hair, while Sheridan is post-S5 looking, and I agree with Londo.

Not that your average customer notices these things. I'm just happy to get all that commentary-goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by jolty
                        I would have loved to see LOTR go to series I for one have more than enough confidence in JMS that he could have made a great series out of it. I think the people who bitch about LOTR are the same crowd who hated Cusade. In fact they would hate anything new JMS did because it doesn't have the characters they know. And they aren't willing to give it a chance.
                        No, I liked Crusade but didn't like LotR much. Not that I doubt for a moment that it would have been turned into a decent series, there were just too many elements that didn't fit in at all well for me, and most of them, frankly, can be laid a JMS's door. Luckily, he is the kind of guy who can see the flaws in what he does, correct them, and move on. Doesn't mean we have to ignore the mistakes he DOES make, so I would argue that "those who bitch about some things in LotR are the same people who bitched about some things in "Infection."

In short, your whning about ofther peoples' "bitching" is pretty funny. Your sweeping generalizations are even funnier.
                        I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by AislingGrey
                          Actually, I know at least a handful of fans who are _rabid_ about Crusade and still hated LotR. I think you nailed it more accurately with your later statement about them not willing to give it a chance. When people complain about LotR, I like to remind them to revisit how they felt about "The Gathering" at the time. I think that, as pilots go, "Rangers" was _far_ stronger than "The Gathering," and look what series came from "The Gathering"! Sheesh, people.

Aisling
                          Actually, I thought TG was a far stronger pilot, especially considering its time and what was being done in TV at that time.

It has always amused me to hear people like me being accused of "never giving LotR a chance." Clearly, you know me not at all if you don't think I was absolutely ready to see a new B5 series (though I would frankly rather have seen Crusade come back, that wasn't gonna happen, and I thought JMS's shift of gears to a more action-oriented vice contemplative series was absolutely right for the market at the time).

I was expecting great things to develop from LotR, because the problems of "Rangers" were all things that could be fixed easily and I was sure they would be. Sadly, that was not to be - not because "Rangers" was so horrible, but because it's scheduling was suboptimal and SFC wasn't really happy about a high-priced space show anyway.
                          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

It has always amused me to hear people like me being accused of "never giving LotR a chance." Clearly, you know me not at all if you don't think I was absolutely ready to see a new B5 series
                            Er...

I _wasn't_ talking about you. I don't even know you. I was talking about B5 fans who are actual personal friends of mine.

Aisling

Comment

Originally posted by AislingGrey
                              Er...

I _wasn't_ talking about you. I don't even know you. I was talking about B5 fans who are actual personal friends of mine.

Aisling
                              You are correct, and I was wrong. Re-reading your post, you were talking about the same "them" and THEN you talked about "people" and I misinterpreted it to be a more general "slam" than you intended. My bad.

Comment

How many of you pre ordered the box?
                                i did.
                                Sleeping in Light-----Darnit! Shut the Window.

Comment

Working...
                                X