• Ulkosh
    replied
    1. Season 2
    2. ItB
    3. Season 3
    4. Season 4
    5. ACtA
    6. Season 1
    7. Season 5 - The latter half is great even if the Byron stff fails miserably
    8. Crusade
    9. The Gathering for the revised version.. the original would be alittle lower
    10.River of Souls
    11. Thirdspace
    12. LotR

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Originally posted by Garibaldi's Hair View Post
    Actually it is an imperfect universe ... the world is just the bit we get to see!

There's my too provincial thinking once again! You are, of course, right. At least I assume you're right, having not, myself, seen any great part of the universe.

Leave a comment:

• Garibaldi's Hair
    replied
    Originally posted by WorkerCaste View Post
    Ah, well. It is an imperfect world.
    Actually it is an imperfect universe ... the world is just the bit we get to see!

Leave a comment:

• JDSValen
    replied
    1. Point of No Return (Season 3)
    2. The Coming of Shadows (Season 2)
    3. No Surrender, No Retreat (Season 4)
    4. Signs and Portents (Season 1)
    5. The Wheel of Fire (Season 5)
    6. In The Beginning
    7. Crusade (To the Ends of the Earth)
    8. A Call To Arms
    9. The Gathering
    10. The River of Souls
    11. Thirdspace
    12. Legends of the Rangers - To Live and Die in Starlight

This is a loose list. In actuality, they're more like groups in this order: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12. Depending on the day members of the groups might change order, but the groups themselves would remain in that order. There's not much seperating the first 3 groups; I love pretty much everything there. The last group had some really good moments, but on a whole are clearly less than the top three. Also, I don't know what's going to happen with TLT, so I resvere judgement until those are finished but, right now, the first dvd would probably fit in around The Gathering.

Leave a comment:

• WorkerCaste
    replied
    Never really thought about it in these terms, but here goes:

1 Season 3
    2 Season 4
    3 Season 2
    4 Season 1
    5 Crusade
    6 Season 5
    7 In The Beginning
    8 The Gathering
    9 A Call to Arms
    10 River of Souls
    11 Thirdspace
    12 Legend of the Rangers

It's almost like two lists becuase I find it hard to compare movies and whole seasons of shows. As I was doing the list, I'd think "I Liked ItB. Was it better than Season 5? But season 5 had Long Night, View from the Gallery, Day of the Dead, the Centauri arc, Garibaldi..." so every movie gets pushed out beyond every season. Ah, well. It is an imperfect world.

Leave a comment:

• Hal_10000
    replied
    My Picks

1. Season 4 - easily the most powerful for me. This season was the most relentless and when the story reached full maturity.
    2. Season 3 - a close second, more mysterious and awe-inspring
    3. Season 2 - the point at which i got addicted, when the series really sprawled out
    4. Thirdspace - am I only the one who finds this to be fantastic? I love episodes that imply a more wonderful and terrifying universe than we can imagine.
    5. In the Beginning - I'm not fond of prequels, but this did the job.
    6. Season 5 - no, I'm not fond of Byron. The series had shot its bolt in season four. But the last half of the season is incredible. Sleeping in Light alone would get it way up the scale.
    7. Season 1 - uneven, but gets amazing toward the end
    8. Crusade - cut off just as it got going. And yes, I even liked the music.
    9. Call to Arms - see above
    10. The Lost Tales - creepy and interesting; if not exactly what I wanted.
    11. River of Souls - there are lot of great things about this movie (holo-ho?) but it moves slowly.
    12. The Gathering - this is praising with faint damnation. I still enjoy it quite a lot.

Leave a comment:

• KoshN
    replied
    Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
    12. Crusade - Music kills it for me. I hate Max and want him to be spaced. The CGI's overextended for what it was capable of at the time. Had potential, but it never happened, so I'm not rating based on potential.
    About the music, it seems that a lot of people don't like it. I liked it everywhere except when it was overpowering (too much volume) and stepped on the dialogue, and the end "noise" from Ruling from the Tomb (baby crying, dog barking and other, self-indulgent crap).

Re. Max, how can you say that?! Max was an interesting character, and after only 13 episodes, he was already coming around and fitting in with the crew. In Patterns of the Soul, we see him not tell IPX about Dureena's people on Theta 49, even though he's under pressure from IPX to produce more for them. His comments often cut right through and make the most sense (e.g. his summation of Galen's proposal in the meeting at the start of The Well of Forever). He was great in Rules of the Game, especially in the last three of his scenes. For me, a lot of the most memorable scenes in Crusade involve Max. He certainly got some of the best lines.

In fact, it might be possible to come up with a good viewing order for Crusade, based upon the continued mellowing of Max.

Originally posted by Lunan View Post
    i guess the main issue is that for so many people it Thirdspace) just didn't "feel" like b5
    For me, you just described To Live and Die in Starlight (B5:LotR). THAT didn't feel like B5. The River of Souls felt like B5. Crusade felt like B5. Thirdspace felt sort of disconnected, like it might be B5 in an alternate universe or something. B5:LotR felt completely foreign, like another show was using B5 costumes. It feels like B5:LotR is to B5 as Wormhole Extreme is to Stargate SG-1, a cheap, crappy version by different writers.
    Last edited by KoshN; 08-18-2007, 04:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RMcD
    replied

i guess the main issue is that for so many people it just didn't "feel" like b5
    Funny, of all the movies I think Thirdspace feels to me the most like regular B5, warts and all.

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied
    Originally posted by raw_bean View Post
    Good list, I agree with most of the top half (glad to find someone else who realises the awesomness of the Centauri war arc in S5), but what happened to number 3?
    Step 3....profit!!!!

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Well, only seen TLT once, but here goes:

1. Season 4 - I really like a lot of the directing in this season. Deconstruction, the Sheridan being captured ep with the strobe lights, and the interrogation episode really make this for me. A lot of nice emotional moments Three might be more exciting at parts, but this is filled with goodness.
    2. Season 3 - Nice wonderful arc season.
    4. In The Beginning - The best of B5 clips plus some great B5 backstory for the minbari war.
    5. Season 5 - Very underrated. The Byron story wasn't as bad on my last viewing as I thought, and I really only disliked a couple episodes in between that arc and the Centauri arc which I thought were slow and didn't have too much of a point. The last 6 or so episodes are some of the strongest of the show.
    6. The Lost Tales: Voices In the Dark - I love it. See my review in the TLT spoilers thread.
    7. Season 2 - Season 2 is kind of weaker now that i've watched the show a few times, and I've been debating where to put it. Obviously there had to be a lot of introduction because of setting up Sheridan after investing so much in Sinclair.
    8. A Call To Arms - Would be up above in the beginning if if Christopher Franke did the music.
    9. Season 1 - On this view, I like season 1 more than I used to. A lot more. I would have put Souls above it before this viewing, but I'm keeping it low because of the non-JMS eps which...suck. Except the dockworker ep.
    10. River Of Souls - Not bad. Nice Lochley character piece. A little drawn out, could have just been an episode.
    11. The Gathering - Ehh. I honestly don't like this that much other than it's the first one.
    12. Crusade - Music kills it for me. I hate Max and want him to be spaced. The CGI's overextended for what it was capable of at the time. Had potential, but it never happened, so I'm not rating based on potential.
    13. Legend Of The Rangers - Also had potential. Characters weren't as interesting as our heroes. The fight scene also makes me cringe, as it does us all. Probably would be higher if it weren't for that.
    14. Thirdspace. - This movie just doesn't *feel* right to me. Feels more twilight zone than Babylon 5, and it just irks me to watch it. I just plain don't like it.
    Good list, I agree with most of the top half (glad to find someone else who realises the awesomness of the Centauri war arc in S5), but what happened to number 3?

-------------------

I've just remembered the bit in Thirdspace regarding "Besides...it IS mine" that cracks me up every time. If I could be bothered, I'd possibly shift it up a place for that bit alone.

Leave a comment:

• Lunan
    replied

14. Thirdspace. - This movie just doesn't *feel* right to me. Feels more twilight zone than Babylon 5, and it just irks me to watch it. I just plain don't like it.
    i like thirdspace alot because it isn't like the rest of b5. it has some very h. p. Lovecraft issues, and the raider mousetrap was unnecessary to a point. it could easily have been handled differently for that bit. there were ALOT of very interesting character bits in this movie too, particularly Susan and Vir bits that i am very fond of.

the Sheridan nukes it bit could also have been handled a bit diffrently, but i do have to admit it has its amusing moments for that part too.

i guess the main issue is that for so many people it just didn't "feel" like b5

Leave a comment:

• SmileOfTheShadow
    replied

1. Season 4 - I really like a lot of the directing in this season. Deconstruction, the Sheridan being captured ep with the strobe lights, and the interrogation episode really make this for me. A lot of nice emotional moments Three might be more exciting at parts, but this is filled with goodness.
    2. Season 3 - Nice wonderful arc season.
    4. In The Beginning - The best of B5 clips plus some great B5 backstory for the minbari war.
    5. Season 5 - Very underrated. The Byron story wasn't as bad on my last viewing as I thought, and I really only disliked a couple episodes in between that arc and the Centauri arc which I thought were slow and didn't have too much of a point. The last 6 or so episodes are some of the strongest of the show.
    6. The Lost Tales: Voices In the Dark - I love it. See my review in the TLT spoilers thread.
    7. Season 2 - Season 2 is kind of weaker now that i've watched the show a few times, and I've been debating where to put it. Obviously there had to be a lot of introduction because of setting up Sheridan after investing so much in Sinclair.
    8. A Call To Arms - Would be up above in the beginning if if Christopher Franke did the music.
    9. Season 1 - On this view, I like season 1 more than I used to. A lot more. I would have put Souls above it before this viewing, but I'm keeping it low because of the non-JMS eps which...suck. Except the dockworker ep.
    10. River Of Souls - Not bad. Nice Lochley character piece. A little drawn out, could have just been an episode.
    11. The Gathering - Ehh. I honestly don't like this that much other than it's the first one.
    13. Legend Of The Rangers - Also had potential. Characters weren't as interesting as our heroes. The fight scene also makes me cringe, as it does us all. Probably would be higher if it weren't for that.

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    (of course lotr was the first b5 i ever saw)
    Then I'm so sorry for you...

Leave a comment:

• Lunan
    replied
    am i the ONLY one who would put river of souls up high in the 2 or 3 range?, then again i rather like legend of the rangers and no one else seems to enjoy it like i do either(of course lotr was the first b5 i ever saw)
    how odd
    1. season 3
    2a. season 4
    2b river of souls
    4. call to arms
    5. lotr
    6. season2
    7. season 1
    8. season 5

Leave a comment:

• Truth66
    replied
    I'd have to say:
    1) Season 3
    2) Season 4
    3) Season 2
    4) Season 1
    5) Season 5

I loved Season 3 because of "Severed Dreams" which is my all time favorite episode. Season 4 would rank 2nd because I loved the tension with the march towards Earth to deal with President Clark.

I'd have to give it more thought with regards to the ranking of the Movies, Crusade, LOTR and TLT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X