Question about B5 military rankings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nova View Post
    Obviously the military structure in the B5 universe has always been a tad hazy. So I will appeal to the opinions of the biggest and brightest B5 brainiacs...

On an Earth Alliance ship, what do you call the third in command? And can you have an XO that is NOT the second in command? My research in real life military has left me a little confused about it because in some circumstances you can, some you can't. For example, I think in british navy there can be an XO who just is in charge of the paperwork...
    Ah, my favorite topic!

Yes, in the RN you can have (on large ships) an XO not the second-in-command (the SIC is called "the Commander" in that case, IIRC).

The third in command of an EA ship would probably (but only probably) be the Chief Engineer, if JMS followed the USN model, or the Operations Officer (if JMS followed the RN model, in which engineers are staff and not line officers and thus not eligable for command).
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
      So if I followed all that correctly, your answer to the question I asked is "operations officer"? would that be the same on a ship? what does an operations officer do exactly?
      The operations officer (I have been one in both a shore command and a ship) is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the ship/command from an operational but not administrative standpoint. It is usually a department head responsibility, overseeing communications, the watch room (or combat information center on a ship), navigation, and all watch standing personnel not assigned to the Engineering Department (which is autonomous). The operations officer is responsible most particularly for making sure the ship is where it is supposed to be when it is supposed to be. The operations officer is responsible, for instance, for assigning non-engineering watch standers to their duty rotations, and for overseeing the training both the individuals and the crew.

Major Atumbe could well have been the operations officer for Babylon 5. He would have been highly pissed that Garibaldi installed and activated the cutout switch on external comms in "Severed Dreams!"
      I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Ivanova's timeline, as far as I can make out, is something like this:

2229: She is born.
        2235: She gets some sort of telepathic contact with her mom.
        2241: Her mom commits suicide (yeah, this make her twelve, not ten, but I don't recall the exact words she used - maybe "about ten?")
        2246 (maybe late): Gaiya Ivanov is killed. Susan plans to join Earthforce "in a few months" but overstates the immediacy for dramatic effect.
        2247: Susan joins Earthforce. The war ends before she can see service.

All conjectural, of course. And based mostly on the fact that The Gathering takes place in 2257, "ten years after the Earth-Minbari War" with backtracking. I assume that the E-M war went between 2244 and 2247, with a year between the start and the period of human desperation ( the "they did this for two years" that Londo refers to). I think there is some evidence that the war started in 2245 but I cannot remember the details.

Comment

Working...
        X