*Spoilers* TLT Review and Nightmare nearing reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Spoilers* TLT Review and Nightmare nearing reality

A couple of weeks ago I had a nightmare that I couldn't find a copy of The Lost Tales anywhere in town. Of course it wasn't wise to tell my wife this because she thought I was pothetically obsessed with B5. My buddy also though that the Nightmare was hilarious.
    Well last night it nearly became a reality. I phoned the Future Shop to see if they had any copies in stock to be sold for today. I was shocked when they said that they never had any coming in. I imediately started to panic and told them that this was rediculous and that I had experienced this before with other titles not being available on their release date. They indicated that it's what their supplier ships to them and they have limited control. I imediately starting calling other stores, Walmart, Zellers, Blockbuster, Rogers, etc. and nothing. I know that this town is small with a population of just over 100,000 people, but this was getting rediculous.
    I finally called the last store on my list which was HMV and the guy told me that they had only two copies in. I imediately asked when they opened their doors. He offered to hold the DVD for me which I'm very grateful. So there I was in the parking lot with my coffee waiting for those doors to open at 09:30.
    I had my copy of The Lost Tales and saw the only remaining copy (that I know of in the entire city) on the shelf. What we B5 fans have to endure.
    I just finished watching The Lost Tales and loved it. I agree that the picture quality and effects have greatly improved since the original series. The early dialog between Sheridan and Galen had be laughing about the Technomages having any other hobbies. You can really tell that they had a limited budget to work with because of the limited background extras that we're used to seeing in the original series. Then again the episode Intersections in Real Time in season four was shot with only a few people, being in one room and a hallway and was a very powerful episode. The behind the scenes with the sock puppets was also quite humourous. The tributes of Richard and Andreas were very appropriate and even the references in TLT were perfect with each of them being "Beyond the Rim".
    I'd go into more detail but I don't want to spoil anything for our fellow B5 fans in Europe and else where who are unable to obtain the DVD yet. However, I will say this, I definitely agree that JMS has really improved as a writer with some very heavy dialoge especially with the Lochley story. I'm crossing my fingers and everything else for that matter that this DVD does really well financially. I could only imagine what JMS is capable of if he were alowed to do more of these DVDs along with bigger budgets to work with. I for one is very grateful for this DVD, thanks Joe.

Amazon came through for me with delivery on the release date.

I was also very pleased with the show, despite the noted lack of "activity in the background" that we are used to. I thought the acting and dialogue were better than in any previous B5 or Crusade episode, and loved the virtual sets.

More. That's want we want: more.
    I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

I thought the actual lack of extras was needed for both plot and mood. In the first segment most of the scenes out and about in B5 are centered around the holding cell. First of all I don't think most brig areas are high traffic to begin with and considering the obvious referrence to odor it would be even less so. It also enchanced the mood by isolating the characters and making the whole more menacing. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone days.

The second segment didn't have any scenes set on B5 until the very end and cuts off right before the start of the celebration. Most everyone is gathered and waiting so the lack of extras also makes sense.

I'm sure the main reason for the lack of extras was primarily budget based I still think it added to the overall atmosphere of the Lochley story.

Comment

Careful about spoilers! Please mark the thread (jan, thread creator?) because I think I saw some but I didn't read it as I'm trying to avoid it.
        Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
        True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
          Careful about spoilers! Please mark the thread (jan, thread creator?) because I think I saw some but I didn't read it as I'm trying to avoid it.
          Sorry. I guess i had thought that "review" kind of implied spoilers, but you are correct that it should be explicit.
          I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Spoiler warning added to thread title as requested.

"I live to serve, I serve to live..."

Jan
            "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

I just want slightly longer new B5. 72 minutes just leaves me wanting more
              RIP Coach Larry Finch
              Thank you Memphis Grizzlies for a great season.
              Play like your fake girlfriend died today - new Notre Dame motivational sign

Comment

The Supercenter on the south side of town was sold out. I will pick it up elsewhere sometime later this week.
                Last edited by Dr Maturin; 07-31-2007, 06:00 PM.
                Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

My appologies for any confusion. I never intended this thread to be one to reveal any "Spoilers". I intended it to be a general review of the DVD it self, what that I though of the overall story with out going into specifics and my personal experience of trying to find a copy of it. In fact I even mention that I didn't want to give anything away due to our friends in other countries not being able to see the DVD yet. I'm hoping that in time we could all engage in a "Group Watch" of The Lost Tales once every Region has had an opportunity to view the DVD and really debate different aspects of it.
                  Speaking of a general review of the DVD, I noticed that my DVD doesn't have an actual chapter menu, yet I can skip ahead to supposed chapters like any other DVD? Also has anyone found any Easter Egg special features yet? I'm still looking.

Comment

Originally posted by LessonInMachismo View Post
                    The Supercenter on the south side of town was sold out. I will pick it up elsewhere sometime later this week.
                    I don't mean to be picky...but do you know if they were truly sold out...or that they just didn't have any in stock?

Having them really sold out would be cool!!!!!
                    I had the dagger in my hand! And he has the indecency to start dying on his own.

Comment

Well, the store was sold out. I swung by the northside store last night and there were three or four copies.
                      Recently, there was a reckoning. It occurred on November 4, 2014 across the United States. Voters, recognizing the failures of the current leadership and fearing their unchecked abuses of power, elected another party as the new majority. This is a first step toward preventing more damage and undoing some of the damage already done. Hopefully, this is as much as will be required.

Comment

It took me an extra day to get my TLT. There's a Best Buy near work but I was too busy to go. I figured I'd pick it up in my town instead. Went to Future Shop. Nope. Tried Walmart. Nope. Finally did get to Best Buy and after much searching, I found it on a bottom shelf.

I went out last night but I was anxious to get home to watch it. Well, first my DVD player acted up so no joy there. Tried connecting my old computer to the tv to watch it that way (bigger screen than my monitor). It worked but the sound didn't match the lips of the people talking (very annoying) so I gave up. I have one other option to try tonight and it had better work!

<grumble, *@#!, been waiting for so many frickin' years, $%[email protected], mumble!....>

I envy those who have technology that actually works. Time for an overhaul.
                        Flying around the room under my own power.

Comment

Working...
                        X