Group Watch: Into The Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Watch: Into The Fire

This..is the nice culmination of the Vorlon/Shadow war. Just stunning. Completely stunning. I love the setup of the army of light as both of the fleets converge upon each other with our heroes stuck in the middle. Nice revelations about how the Vorlons/Shadows never really directly confront each other, which provides an interesting insight into them.

My gut feeling out of this episode, is that finding all the first ones really didn't pay off in the *battle* sense, but did in the fact that everyone was rounded up to get the hell out of our galaxy. The part where the shadows and vorlons both act like little kids scared as they ask if they will be alone if they go beyond the rim is an especially touching moment.

Oh yeah, and Morden gets killed. The vir moment is again, wonderful. Vir is so awesome sometimes. But is that the way to save Centauri prime? Hmm..choices were already made and it may be already too late.

I'd write something longer, but I already did in another thread, and I'm tired darnit
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

The Vir moment is such a classic moment in B5 - on the whole I consider this episode the climax of the series - though some *very* good ones follow - but not every episode can be the most monumental of the series.

... and "Sheridan knows that he knows" as it turns out.
    Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Wow!

I do know a lot of people were disappointed with the way the Shadow/Vorlon thing went. But what the hell did they expect? You just don't defeat races that are billions of years older than you. Like Lorien said, you have to understand your way out of it.

In many ways, the Battle of Coriana 6 reminds me of the Battle of the Line. There was no way the good guys were going to win. Something else had to happen. It wasn't about victory - it was about sacrifice for the greater good. And the idea that the Shadows and Vorlons -- infinitely old, powerful and wise races - had gotten so obssessed with each other that they'd forgotten what they were fighting about, was incredible.

Some other highlights:

The aforementioned Vir scene was wonderful. Vir annoyed me in the first season; but season four he was one of my favorite characters. Never again would I see him as Flounder.

Great quote:
      Sheridan: Good morning, gentleman. This is your wakeup call? [sets off nuclear bombs]
      Lyta: Captain? They're pissed!

The epic scale of the battle here is something never before seen on TV and not scene since. Many have tried to immitate it by hitting repeat on their CGI computers over and over again. But it takes a skilled artist to make you care about the battle and to make it feel epic no matter what the visuals are. I also love that, once again, there is strategy in the space battle. They don't just lumber up and slug it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal_10000 View Post
        I do know a lot of people were disappointed with the way the Shadow/Vorlon thing went. But what the hell did they expect? You just don't defeat races that are billions of years older than you. Like Lorien said, you have to understand your way out of it.

In many ways, the Battle of Coriana 6 reminds me of the Battle of the Line. There was no way the good guys were going to win. Something else had to happen. It wasn't about victory - it was about sacrifice for the greater good. And the idea that the Shadows and Vorlons -- infinitely old, powerful and wise races - had gotten so obssessed with each other that they'd forgotten what they were fighting about, was incredible.

Some other highlights:

The aforementioned Vir scene was wonderful. Vir annoyed me in the first season; but season four he was one of my favorite characters. Never again would I see him as Flounder.

Great quote:
        Sheridan: Good morning, gentleman. This is your wakeup call? [sets off nuclear bombs]
        Lyta: Captain? They're pissed!

The epic scale of the battle here is something never before seen on TV and not scene since. Many have tried to imitate it by hitting repeat on their CGI computers over and over again. But it takes a skilled artist to make you care about the battle and to make it feel epic no matter what the visuals are. I also love that, once again, there is strategy in the space battle. They don't just lumber up and slug it out.
        Could not agree more . "Understanding is a three edged sword"
        Vir's character development cannot beat G'Kar's, but is *very* well done
        The fact that the First One's have lost their way
        Wonderful quote (Sheridan/Lyta)
        Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

This epic Coriana-6-battle also reminds me of the last battle of the men of the West against the forces of Mordor in front of the Black Gate, to stay with the beloved "Lord of the Rings"-references.
          It has the same right desperate feeling, and the heroes don't know if they are going to succeed or if they will fall once and for all.
          Of course, the whole thing in B5 has a much more philosophical depth than LoTR has, and the epic scale is even greater (biggest battle in space history...).

Comment

I think this is why the show is so strong...yes, they have impossible odds against an overly powerful enemy, just like a lot of things. In most stories, they'd find some weapon that would allow them to triumph or something like that and barely beat them by the skin of their teeth. Babylon 5 takes a look at a realistic way to end the war, and it's refreshing not to have had it conclude in our guys kickin' some shadow ass.
            Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
            True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
              Babylon 5 takes a look at a realistic way to end the war, and it's refreshing not to have had it conclude in our guys kickin' some shadow ass.
              I will most definitely second that .
              Jan from Denmark

My blog :

Comment

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
                In most stories, they'd find some weapon that would allow them to triumph or something like that and barely beat them by the skin of their teeth.
                Exactly. Most writers would "cheat" and have some reverse-tachyon-emission-thingy reveal that the battle wasn't hopeless at all.

Babylon 5 takes a look at a realistic way to end the war, and it's refreshing not to have had it conclude in our guys kickin' some shadow ass.
                Yep. JMS stuck with internal consistency over emotional gratification. I will note, though, that he was careful to reserve a real kickass battle for later, so the military aspects of the show didn't end with this resolution.
                I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Go anywhere in the station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we've exchanged. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains. But I will admit .. that the part of me that is going .. will very much miss the part of you that is staying.

Comment

Working...
                X