• Show
Clear All

• b5finland
    replied
    For the future releases i would hope that they include more:

- More lenght to stories
    - REAL battlescenes (not dream)
    - More old cast members
    - A lot more extras/supporting actors on B5 station/planet scenes etc...(on this dvd B5 looks like deserted)

Dont get me wrong, i love this release(especially the Sheridan one) but like JMS said it was a test project with modest budget.

So i might get my hopes fullfilled cause JMS said almost the same thingies in his interview in gssociety.

Does somebody know budget figures on this release ? And how much was B5 series episode budget back in the good old days ?

And what about HD release is it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD ?

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Originally posted by raw_bean View Post
    Confirmed by whom?
    I think I read about a WB press release somewhere and some news alerts quoting it a few weeks ago, but I don't have time to search them all right now.

For those who are fluent in German:
    http://www.phantastik-news.de/module...ticle&sid=3088

Leave a comment:

• Biggs
    replied
    Well, got my advance copy yesterday. Sat down to watch it straight after work, and it is EVERYTHING you'll want in a B5 story.

It's small, intimate...harks back to some of the great Season 2 episodes in my opinion....the humour is there, you can tell Bruce is in his element again playing Sheridan...he's glad to be back, and you can tell. Galen has a couple of good lines, I'm not a huge fan of the character but he worked for me.

The Lochley story is a bit smaller in scope than the Sheridan one, though I really enjoyed the story it was basically "room bound" and felt like it needed something a little better...it was the B-story to the main one, but I enjoyed it.

Direction is very different, I loved it...the "floating" camera in the Lochley story is really well done, it's a very different style of shot to traditional sci-fi or Babylon 5 but it really gives it a great feel. There's this really nice shot during the Sheridan story, of the camera shot "behind" or looking "through" the CG shot of the B5 station on the new Minbari ship, it's the war room essentially, but it's a very clever shot....

The CG is movie quality, in fact...there's moments where it completely shits on the entire CG work on Rise of the Silver Surfer. There's only one shot on the entire DVD that looks dodgy, it's a Lochley shot as we pan out from the station window into space....though, I've never seen that shot perfected well...I think the Londo one on the Centauri Cruiser was the closest we'll get to that kinda "good" CG shot. But the ships, the hyperspace (and the new 'quantum space' is pretty cool) and basically everything CG related on the DVD put my nightmares of Crusade to rest. It's really well done...

The Music is phenominal, some of the cues are lovely...there's a nice throwback now and then to the Main Season 5 theme, also at the end there's a nice little 'montage' of well known and new themes. Christopher Franke has nailed it again, and I'm baffeled as to why this guy doesn't get any high profile movie work...it's just beautiful, keep em coming! My favorite cue is the first shot of Sheridan on Minbar...with this beautiful pulsing little beat as he answers his intercom thingee...it's a great little theme for him, I hope Chris can build on that in the future. There's also a lovely theme as the Lochley story finishes...but it's that once piece of music as Sheridan is introduced which is beautiful...these lovely pulsing beats and chime bells in the background, I wanted more...you'll love it. I'm listening to it right now!

The negatives?

Not enough characters. Basically 3 per story, so thats 6 characters in total, but unfortunatly only 2 "Regular" B5 cast members. Though all the series regulars are mentioned by name, and a nice quick homage to G'Kar and Franklin 'passing beyond the rim' is a nice touch. Garibaldi is missed, it doesn't feel like Babylon 5 without him...

....certainly the lack of Alien Characters is a bit of an error...you don't see any, with the exception of a couple of Minbari. So thats a shame, but again it wasn't really too much a deterrant because you did have the Prince Regent, looking suspiciously 'EMO-Centauri' in his Haircut. He was a great character, one I'd LOVE to see more of in future installments.

But thats it, I can't fault any of it. I loved both stories...I loved being back at Babylon 5 and if anything, it made me appreciate how timeless the series is, still being able to use the same uniforms and designs just shows how before it's time Babylon 5 actually was, or IS as the case may be.

Next installment, I want some serious action....I want Sheridan back in ass-kicking mode, with a grumpy Garibaldi by his side telling us "he's too old for this shit" or something and I want all our favorite Characters back, but I DEFINATLY want Londo. I want a war, I want action and I want at least 4mins from Claudia Christian and JMS putting their differences aside, sticking her in the captains chair and letting her loose on some alien scum in a battle to the death.

Because one thing this DVD does RIGHT - is give us the promise, give us the hope that this IS the beginning, the beginning of something amazing to come.

Bring it on JMS, and bring it on soon.

EDIT:

....oh and, in my excitement to get this babble of a review out, I forgot the wonderful CG work and direction of the Starfury scenes....just brilliant, I can't begin to tell you how wonderful this section of the story is.
    Last edited by Biggs; 07-27-2007, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Confirmed by whom?

Leave a comment:

• Falcon
    replied
    Originally posted by tarasis View Post
    (where neither 3rd September or 24th August have not yet been confirmed as I understand it)
    24th August is confirmed for the German release.

Leave a comment:

• tarasis
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan View Post
    If I'm able, I'll see if I can find out from JMS at the TLT panel today.

Jan
    Cool, thanks Jan.

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    If I'm able, I'll see if I can find out from JMS at the TLT panel today.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• tarasis
    replied
    Originally posted by frulad View Post
    HOWEVER- Even though there's no specific rule I could find in the FAQs regarding the subject, the idea of discussing piracy, specifically where to go to find pirated material is frowned upon here.

I know that some of you folks have stated you will be buying a copy (or two or three) of the disc when it hits your market, but that still doesn't make downloading it right.
    It was only me, really, talking about piracy and I agree it isn't right. Please note though that I haven't mentioned ANYTHING at all about where to find pirated material, how to find it or anything like that. Nor will I.

I was pointing out that it was in the wild, as such, and that it was hard to resist not downloading it because of the long delay before reaching shores outside of the US. (where neither 3rd September or 24th August have not yet been confirmed as I understand it)

Leave a comment:

• Jan
    replied
    Thanks, Frulad. Actually I was kind of lying low in hopes that somebody would mention *where* it is available. I'd like to make sure it gets squashed.

But you're right, I do *not* want to get into the great download debate again here and now.

Jan
    who did bring her Mod hat to San Diego...Homeland Security was puzzled and scanned it several times...one agent was heard to exclaim that it was simply the ugliest thing he'd ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• frulad
    replied
    OK... First off, my heart goes out to you non-US folk who have to wait longer for your DVD region's release of TLT.

HOWEVER- Even though there's no specific rule I could find in the FAQs regarding the subject, the idea of discussing piracy, specifically where to go to find pirated material is frowned upon here.

I know that some of you folks have stated you will be buying a copy (or two or three) of the disc when it hits your market, but that still doesn't make downloading it right.

Jan (and Joe and others) are off at the San Diego Con right now having a good time, but also bringing us the latest JMS news straight from the horse's mouth. (Look at SFTV's post about standing there as JMS got a cell call telling him that some project had just been given the go ahead. You don't get much more Johnny-On-The-Spot than that!) Let's not kill her buzz by having them have to put on the moderator hat when she gets back to her room.

Leave a comment:

• tarasis
    replied
    Originally posted by Morden View Post
    <snip> you'd just have to live with the German cover.
    Cool, plus at least it is no longer called Spacecenter Babylon 5.

*slaps forehead*

Leave a comment:

• tarasis
    replied
    Originally posted by Carfin View Post
    No piracy of B5!!!!!
    Regardless of whether I joined in or not it is being pirated. It doesn't make it right but B5 is being pirated every day, currently at least 355 people have downloaded a 47gb package of everything B5.

Less sales, less profit = less chance of more following.
    Certainly from me there would not be one less sale. I am purchasing the DVD as soon as the damn thing is available.

I could quite easily buy the DVD from the states (my various DVD players are region free) but I want to get it here to a) show Warners et al that there is interest for B5 still outside of the US b) have pal.

That said, I don't like stalled releases when there is no need for it. This isn't like a cinema release, they could quite easily do simultaneous releases for a DVD in all regions but they don't.

<mini rant>
    Basically if you aren't in the US you tend to get stung.

1) late releases (if at all, TV shows like Pinky And The Brain have yet to get a DVD release here. Hell it took a little while before the Looney Tunes collections where available in limited places in the UK -- note both Warners)

2) Exclusive content, like the cast commentaries for Hero's available on the shows website, the Battlestar Galactica webisode again only for the states. Various soundtracks that are no longer for sale as a CD that are only available on iTunes US.

3) Restricting trade so that you can enforce higher prices, for instance Shure restrict US companies from selling internationally their headphones so they can protect their market rates. So for instance Headphones that in the us cost $449 dollars cost €498 in Germany; a $230 dollar mark up.
    </mini rant>

--- edit ---

I should also add that circumventing reigion protection on DVD's in technically illegal though many of us do it because DVD's are cheaper in a different region or because something we want isn#t available. Also circumventing region protection to watch a DVD on a linux based PC is illegal, even if you are in the region you bought the DVD because there is no santioned decoder available. You can get around it with DeCSS but ...
    Last edited by tarasis; 07-27-2007, 07:22 AM. Reason: added some additional comments

Leave a comment:

• Morden
    replied
    Want to take a look at the German Amazon website, in case it doensn't show up at amazon.co.uk during the next weeks?
    They say it'll be shipped on August 24, and as it contains full english language and subtitles, you'd just have to live with the German cover.

Leave a comment:

• RMcD
    replied
    I wish it would show up on Amazon.co.uk.. Play.com has had it listed for September 3rd for ages, but I've known them to pluck release dates out of the air in the past, and as they seem to be the only ones listing it anywhere at the moment there's no independent corroboration. If it showed up on Amazon with a September 3rd release date I'd feel a lot more confident that's when it's actually coming out.

Leave a comment:

• raw_bean
    replied
    Actually that's true, I hadn't thought about how torrents work.

I could always absent myself from spoiler areas and try and divert myself with something else for the next 5-6 weeks, but I'll probably just end up completely spoiled from ravenously devouring reviews and discussions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X