Group Watch: Interludes and Examinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Watch: Interludes and Examinations

Really wonderful episode as the arc gets heavier and heavier. Franklin ditches medlab to deal with his stim addiction, sheridan tries to drum up support for his coming war, Londo realizes "oh crap, this Morden guy is bad news," but...Morden still is able to manipulate him. And the end is a real doozie. It's gripping and sad, and you realize this is an end of an era for B5...and our heroes really have to work hard for the universe not to slip into darkness at this point.

Sheridan needed one clear, decisive victory against the shadows for the other races to move in, and the Vorlons sure provided that. Sheridan's flipping out at Kosh and being rude to him really hits a nerve, knowing what's coming at the end of the episode. How many times in life do we say something we wish we hadn't, only to lose that person so soon after? Emotional moments like these are the best of the show.

JMS on that part:

And yeah, it does hurt. Pat Tallman was devastated at the screening. Even my own crew wouldn't talk to me for a day or so after the script came out.

Which is when I knew it was the right thing to do.
    Of course, the Kosh scene really is an archetypal story in our culture. The old wise one helps the young warrior grow in wisdom until he is forced to fight at some point, and sacrifices himself for the benefit of the young warrior. How many movies/books have we seen this in? Moraine in Wheel of Time...Obi Wan...just to name a couple. It's really a sign of good writing and thought going into the process.

I'm becoming like Jan actually having JMS quotes to back up what I'm saying...
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Originally posted by SmileOfTheShadow View Post
    Of course, the Kosh scene really is an archetypal story in our culture. The old wise one helps the young warrior grow in wisdom until he is forced to fight at some point, and sacrifices himself for the benefit of the young warrior. How many movies/books have we seen this in? Moraine in Wheel of Time...Obi Wan...just to name a couple. It's really a sign of good writing and thought going into the process.
    Theres is a great twist on the tradisional archetype aswell though as you have many different things going on at the same time. Kosh is suddenly revealed as being less than perfect and shamed by Sheridan's self sacrifice then redeems himself as he passes the torch. That IMHO gives us the important sense that it isnt a mere inheritance that were seeing but a revolution.
    Last edited by moreorless; 07-13-2007, 11:32 PM.
    Who are you?
    What do you want?
    What is the average inflight speed of an unladened swallow?

Comment

Originally posted by moreorless View Post
      Theres is a great twist on the tradisional archetype aswelll though as you have many different things going on at the same time. Kosh is suddenly reveed as being less than perfect and shamed by Sheridan's self sacrifice then redeems himself as he passes the torch. That IMHO give us the important sense that it isnt a mere inheritance that were seeing but a relovution.
      Indeed. That's what makes this show fresh and not the same old same old. In a way, we as humans are more moral than the old-wise shaman type character.
      Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
      True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

Comment

I like how Kosh's fate was set up in many ways by "Passing Through Gethsemane". Similar circumstances. Devastating impact.

This episode was important for me becuase it was when I began to suspect the Vorlon's motives. I suddenly realized the Shadows could have gotten to Kosh at any time. As I said to a friend of mine, "Why do i get the feeling that the Shadows were saying to Kosh, 'that wasn't part of the deal!'"

Comment

Not a whole lot I need to add in this episode..everything pretty much said. Seeing the memory of Adira before she is going to arrive on B5 again to meet Londo only to be foiled by Morden. Morden was soo sneaky to find out Vir's plans to get gifts for Adira only that Londo thinks it's Lord Refa just was very very well written. Kosh and his ship's passing still makes me tear-y eyed every time I watch it. Sheridan getting Kosh all riled up very well done.

Great episode..one of my all time favs!

Alex
          "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Faith...Manages"--Delenn and Lennier from B5
          "Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

V--"For Victory. Go tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
          myspace.com-babylon5fan07

Comment

Not much to add, just the fact that the title is soo innocuous, and something so monumantal happens , gotta love that
            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Working...
            X