Group Watch: A Late Delivery From Avalon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Watch: A Late Delivery From Avalon

My first three views of this show, I never liked this episode. However, this time around, I did. I don't know what it was that was different this time, but I'm finding a new appreciation for a lot of the more stand alone episodes now. This episode is very emotional, and a great job is done by Michael York who really shows his range as an actor. I think this episode is a centerpiece specifically for him since JMS wanted him to be Sheridan. Although I think he did a wonderful job, I'm glad that Bruce is Sheridan.

JMS has always liked the Arthurian legend, designing the structure of the characters slightly around the round table, and here he comes out and beats us over the head "here's the metaphor!"

I really like the mystery of who this character is, and when it comes out that he was one of the gunners who shot at the Minbari. Really cool. And toward the end you just want to yell at the tv "Franklin..don't do it! Nooooo!" Because you don't care that he's delusional. He's really *trying* to fight for good.

It's also nice that you don't know if he's a real person from the past or not, because JMS *has* brought such a legendary figure into it before. You never know where b5's going to take the story.

G'Kar has some nice moments when he helps out Michael York's character as well. You see him reach out for a longing of the "good ol' days" where life was so much simpler. Things only get more complicated for him from here on out.
    Flying Sparks Web Comic - A Hero and Villain In Love. Updates on Wednesdays
    True Believer Reviews: Comic Reviews and Interviews on Wednesdays and Fridays - Or Your Money Back!

I guess even after a couple weeks I'm still the first to reply to this episode. This episode for me is mixed. For a B5 episode it isn't my favorite but on it's own it's pretty good. Seeing Marcus and Franklin friendship is really cool and of course G'Kar and Michael York portraying King Arthur was nice too. The music was very reminiscent of Braveheart but overall the episode is funny and cool but not one I can watch all the time.

Alex
    "The Babylon project was our last best hope for peace..It Failed...In the year of the shadow war it became something greater...Our last best hope for victory..the year is 2260..the place Babylon 5"--Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova (opening main title narration from B5)

"Faith...Manages"--Delenn and Lennier from B5
    "Oh, boy, is this GReAT!!"--Stephen Furst as Dorfman (Flounder) from Animal House

V--"For Victory. Go tell your friends"--Abraham Bernstein from V
    myspace.com-babylon5fan07

Comment

Wow, did I let this one go by without commenting? It's one of my favorites. One of the great non-verbal acting moments of the show is when Delenn comes to see David and take Excalibur from him. You see the compassion and forgiveness in her eyes (and down the road we find out just how well Delenn understands his pain) and it's all communicated silently. Lovely moment.

Interesting note. I've actually got a directors/editors cut tape of this episode and, unusually it has some music already in the the flashback sequences. It's *different* music from what ended up on the show.

Jan
      "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
        Wow, did I let this one go by without commenting? It's one of my favorites. One of the great non-verbal acting moments of the show is when Delenn comes to see David and take Excalibur from him. You see the compassion and forgiveness in her eyes (and down the road we find out just how well Delenn understands his pain) and it's all communicated silently. Lovely moment.

Interesting note. I've actually got a directors/editors cut tape of this episode and, unusually it has some music already in the the flashback sequences. It's *different* music from what ended up on the show.

Jan
        I'd REALLY REALLY like to nose around at your place!
        I expect my jaw would drop a couple of times.
        Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side and the truth.
        John Sheridan

Comment

Originally posted by DeMonk View Post
          I'd REALLY REALLY like to nose around at your place!
          I expect my jaw would drop a couple of times.
          LOL! Yeah, I've got some fun stuff, that's for sure. Not a whole lot of B5 stuff ever hit Ebay but I've picked up as much of what did as I possibly could afford (emphasis on scripts, natch). Thing is, what matters to me is the stuff that was used in the making of the show, like the set models that John Iacovelli made for the pilot while a lot of other collectors went after PPGs or on-screen, more flashy stuff.

If I've learned anything from all my collecting, it's just how much detail goes into the making of a show, particularly this show. A side benefit to it was also that I got to thank so many of the crew for their contributions. Not one ever said anything but that they remembered their time on B5 fondly.

Jan
          Memo to self: You promised pictures of the set models!
          "As empathy spreads, civilization spreads. As empathy contracts, civilization contracts...as we're seeing now.

Comment

As a mostly non-arc episode I liked it, and a little arc we do get after all , not just in the Franklin/Marcus friendship growing , but in the common understanding (the seed of friendship) between Marcus and G'Kar

Agree with Jan - the Delenn moment is *very* powerful acting
            Jan from Denmark

My blog :

http://www.babylonlurker.dk

"Our thoughts form the Universe - they *always* matter"

Comment

Working...
            X